KDSC

here is here incomplete pedigree ;D and she had an 85 lb BW

Irish whiskey

BFW Whiskey Echo-75% maine, 25% angus

VCL MS Lexus 92

Unregistered dam
50% Belgian Blue- 25%simmintal- 25% maine

shortyisqueen

I think, if I were you, I would go back on her with a high-percentage Maine for the first year. She's already got a pretty good mix of breeds in there, adding Shorthorn to the mix might add a little bit too much unpredictability, especially if you decide to go clubby. Other breeders on here would be better able to suggest a calving ease Maine bull that you might want to consider.

(If you decided to go Shorthorn and want a 'breeding type' bull, I have a bull that has been used on heifers of all breeds, but he won't sire 'clubby type' calves...)

Any pictures of your heifer? What type is she? That's quite the interesting pedigree...

KDSC

her legs look weird in this picture because i had just spent an hour scrubbing them to get all the mud off them :'( She had been in the pasture for quite while, I can get more pictures of her, sometime probally this weekend. I was thinking either maine or shortier on her
100_0623.jpg

100_0622.jpg

shortyjock89

If I were you, I would put Major's Money Man on that heifer.  If you are set in stone on using a Shorthorn, then I would seriously consider Tonic, if you want to pay the $50/unit. That's who we're going to breed my Perfect Timing heifer too.  We used PT on a heifer last year with no trouble, but he isn't proven enough yet for me to suggest him.

itk

TM Gus at Fischers. He is white so the calf would be cool colored. He has a very functional pedigree in a very stout package. Plus you could save money on shipping meeting Fischer's at a show somewhere.

Attachments

• tm-gus-250.jpg
    tm-gus-250.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 302

KDSC

ok Thanks a lot for all the sugestions, keep them coming. I like Gus, they have Very high quality semen available at $30 unit. ;D It must be potent ::)  I also think Hard core, Dirty Hairy, Tyson, wells fargo, and who for maines, and I like Gus, Tonic, Okie dokie, Spike, and Kool :'( :'(

red

the Hard Core calf we just had a big boned. I'd hate to see a heifer try that. I'd go w/ Money Man over him.

Here's the heifer at not a month old. 95 pounds.

Red

Attachments

• 100_1771_edited-1.jpg
    100_1771_edited-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_1774.jpg
    100_1774.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 283

aj

What is considered calving ease. Anything not c-section? If you want a calf without assistance I would go Red Angus or longhorn or something. You will be lucky to get that first calf on the ground. Well maybe 50-50. If a hard to medium pull is acceptable some of the above deals will work.

Doc

aj said:
What is considered calving ease. Anything not c-section? If you want a calf without assistance I would go Red Angus or longhorn or something. You will be lucky to get that first calf on the ground. Well maybe 50-50. If a hard to medium pull is acceptable some of the above deals will work.
Gotta disagree with you AJ. It's not gloom & doom for all Shorthorn bulls. There are plenty of choices without having to use a non Shorthorn bull.

itk

aj said:

How about Sodhouse Mr. Man, aj. Could you cut a deal for a SP member. How about these, Lucky Ralph, Titleist 269, Wymore, ARSULU Osage, KL Double Duty, JSF Miner, Revamp, Buckshot, 844, 80C, Lancer 457, Quane, 0018 of 7026, King's Tradition, Irish Mark any calving ease there.

showsteerdlux

Id stay away from wells fargo for a heifer. I have heard of some heavy calves on that combination and I read somewhere that he was suggested for only mature cows.

the_resa86

We have a heifer calf by 844 that is nice.  She is out of a smaller framed first calf heifer and we had no problem with her. She is not really clubby but a nice heifer. I will try and attach a picture of her.

Attachments

• Winter Beef '07 023.jpg
    Winter Beef '07 023.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 318

shortyisqueen

My grandpa used to call Longhorns cow-fresheners...not in a good way! AJ, I'd also have to disagree with you on assuming anything but a Longhorn or a Red Angus will cause a visit from the vet. From experience...Our first calf heifers (Shorthorns, Polled Herefords, and crosses of the two breeds) are bred exclusively to a Maine and Shorthorn bull. The calves average about 80 pounds, are born unassisted and are up in 20 minutes chasing the heifer around for breakfast (I'm not sure if this fits your definition of calving ease though). Not every Shorthorn or Maine bull will have this result...but neither will every Red Angus.

I do like the suggestion of Fischer's Gus bull. Our calving ease herd bull is a relative through the Mr Gus line. You will probably get an okay birthweight (85 lbs), and the calves will be fairly moderate in bone size. (as opposed to the larger bone wanted for the show ring). The calves likely won't be very clubby either, but he may add a little more flank and a touch more broodiness to your heifer. It could turn out quite nicely IMHO.

I haven't heard much on 844, but he's supposedly also recommended for heifers. The pedigrees on both bulls could leave you a good cow if the calf comes out a female.

OH Breeder

First if you are going to invest in a heifer, 100 bucks for a good calf is nothing. Gizmo is EXCELLENT for calves. His calves temperments are outstanding. They come easy and they are lively. They are not huge boned but correct type of cattle. I am going to also give Leveldale Javelin a shot this year. A couple of great heifers sold in Jungles et all sale this past summer/fall.
No one has mentioned Total Solution. he is not Shorthorn, but Live calves are what you should be shooting for. I used Northern Improvement on my maine and maine x bred heifers. Fancy calves, correct lots of hair. I am impressed with how eye appealing and growthy they are.

I have a Taz grand daughter I really like. From what I remember, Taz is safe on heifers. Maine folks help me out.
Personally if it was me, I would do some research. If you plan on investing in the female then take the time to choose a bull that would click with her and meet your needs. There is also Dream On  and 3 C Macho if you want to go Simmi'.
I focus on live calves the first go around. You are setting your female up for a live time of production.

aj

ITK....you are probably right on those bulls. I Like double duty,buckshot, and revamp on that list. My definition of a o.k. calving deal on heifers would be.....Calve 20 hfs...1 hard pull...3 assist's the rest unassisted. I agree with OH breeder so many(especially show heifers) are ruined on their first calf cause people are trying to win a national championship. Just get by the first one. If a showheifer looses her first calf they only get fatter and their udder is ruined and on and on. I thought Lucky Ralph was pha I'd better check though.

red

the_resa86 said:
We have a heifer calf by 844 that is nice.  She is out of a smaller framed first calf heifer and we had no problem with her. She is not really clubby but a nice heifer. I will try and attach a picture of her.

(welcome) the_resa86!!!!

Nice heifer too!

Red

ELBEE

Did anyone else see McLaucklin's "Captain Obvious" at Louisville? I was impressed with the bull, and would use him because of his pedigree. I am anxious to see what Sue gets for calves.

kane1598

OH Breeder said:
First if you are going to invest in a heifer, 100 bucks for a good calf is nothing. Gizmo is EXCELLENT for calves. His calves temperments are outstanding. They come easy and they are lively. They are not huge boned but correct type of cattle. I am going to also give Leveldale Javelin a shot this year. A couple of great heifers sold in Jungles et all sale this past summer/fall.
No one has mentioned Total Solution. he is not Shorthorn, but Live calves are what you should be shooting for. I used Northern Improvement on my maine and maine x bred heifers. Fancy calves, correct lots of hair. I am impressed with how eye appealing and growthy they are.

I have a Taz grand daughter I really like. From what I remember, Taz is safe on heifers. Maine folks help me out.
Personally if it was me, I would do some research. If you plan on investing in the female then take the time to choose a bull that would click with her and meet your needs. There is also Dream On  and 3 C Macho if you want to go Simmi'.
I focus on live calves the first go around. You are setting your female up for a live time of production.

Can Macho be used on heifers?

garybob

ELBEE said:
Did anyone else see McLaucklin's "Captain Obvious" at Louisville? I was impressed with the bull, and would use him because of his pedigree. I am anxious to see what Sue gets for calves.
Lee, have you checked out "Open Range"? He was bred by A&T, too. I've only viewed his pics on the "Net'.

GB

Latest posts