shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyjock89

SULL calves are really hard to beat...they raise some good animals, but they didn't have to wait too long to get where they have with the shorthorns..i wish i could just go buy a bunch of Trump and Rodeo Drive cows and breed them to whatever I wanted...They certainly know what they're doin with that money..

shortdawg

He's a very sharp guy. CF Solution has really put some great animals on the ground for him.

shortyjock89

shortdawg said:
He's a very sharp guy. CF Solution has really put some great animals on the ground for him.

Yeah that's true..I think they deserve to win...Very smart and very good at knowing what will be "the look" for the next show season.

shortyjock89

afhm said:
If its not a SULL female then it seems as if it is an X Ray Vision.

Well I suppose that's good for me...I have a heifer calf that's out of a defect free Full Sib to X Ray and the calf is good..so it makes sense..the Double Stuff Line is hard to beat for show calves. Just like Trump is hard to beat for Breeding heifers..

shortyjock89

afhm said:
Cross the 2 lines and hit the jackpot.

That's the beautiful thing about it.  The cow that the heifer is out of is out of Sonny.  If the calf keeps growing like she is, she'll be a donor for us, just like her mom.

sjcattleco

shortyjock89 said:
SULL calves are really hard to beat...they raise some good animals, but they didn't have to wait too long to get where they have with the shorthorns..i wish i could just go buy a bunch of Trump and Rodeo Drive cows and breed them to whatever I wanted...They certainly know what they're doin with that money..

You would be smart to save your money!

Doc

sjcattleco said:
shortyjock89 said:

SJ , I just want you to know I'm not picking on you. But you've got to admit there has been quite a few people who have been successful with those bulls. Just because someone doesn't look for the same thing in cattle that you doesn't mean he is wrong but it also doesn't mean you are right. That's what make shows & auctions fun & unpredictable. Everybody hopefully has goals with what they want to do with their cattle & their lives & they won't all be the same. ::)

OH Breeder

I really apprecaite from a breeding standpoint how far the Sullivans have come in a short period of time. They are showing against folks that have been around for ages. I think they do a great job and seem to be very nice folks to deal with. After viewing their calves on their homepage, there will be quiet a few to compete with next year as well. But we are talking Show cattle.

garybob

Doc said:
sjcattleco said:
shortyjock89 said:

SJ , I just want you to know I'm not picking on you. But you've got to admit there has been quite a few people who have been successful with those bulls. Just because someone doesn't look for the same thing in cattle that you doesn't mean he is wrong but it also doesn't mean you are right. That's what make shows & auctions fun & unpredictable. Everybody hopefully has goals with what they want to do with their cattle & their lives & they won't all be the same. ::)
On the other hand, Doc, you'd be surprised how crappy those Trumps and clubbies perform, once they are placed into a real world environment. I used to buy cattle at the Arkansas Shorthorn Sale, back when I was getting re-aquainted with the breed. Like many, I was  a Junior Exhibitor in High School, and became indoctrinated by shorthorns that way. In fact, my Dad Still HATES Shorthorns, gives me constant "guidance" about why they are unmarketable.
what i am about to say, may really ire some of you on here, but, the honest truth is, I bought a Trump daughter from a boy that had bought her from Payne's in Illlinois. Payne's and Leemon's all have eye-appealing cattle, but when you buy them and try them, well, I didn't have any luck. Stayed in the pond all summer, didn't slick off, didn't breed back. Were hard-doing, long-necked skeletons, even with supplemental feeding WHILE running on good Bermudagrass pasture. I know how to feed cattle, and, can still balance a ration, by myself, on paper, usiing the ol' pearsons square and the Morrisson's Guiide to Feeds and Feeding, 1958 edition.Ya'll, please, about nutrition, I had minerals out, with tasco! Leave SJ alone on this one!
He's right.

SKF

We have had problems with the shorthorns after they are done showing. They just don't seem to hold up in the pasture as the others do. I don't know if they are just not as heat tolerent, because we live in Florida. They spend the majority of the time in the pond but I still like them.

shortyjock89

garybob said:
Doc said:
sjcattleco said:
shortyjock89 said:

On the other hand, Doc, you'd be surprised how crappy those Trumps and clubbies perform, once they are placed into a real world environment. I used to buy cattle at the Arkansas Shorthorn Sale, back when I was getting re-aquainted with the breed. Like many, I was  a Junior Exhibitor in High School, and became indoctrinated by shorthorns that way. In fact, my Dad Still HATES Shorthorns, gives me constant "guidance" about why they are unmarketable.
what i am about to say, may really ire some of you on here, but, the honest truth is, I bought a Trump daughter from a boy that had bought her from Payne's in Illlinois. Payne's and Leemon's all have eye-appealing cattle, but when you buy them and try them, well, I didn't have any luck. Stayed in the pond all summer, didn't slick off, didn't breed back. Were hard-doing, long-necked skeletons, even with supplemental feeding WHILE running on good Bermudagrass pasture. I know how to feed cattle, and, can still balance a ration, by myself, on paper, usiing the ol' pearsons square and the Morrisson's Guiide to Feeds and Feeding, 1958 edition.Ya'll, please, about nutrition, I had minerals out, with tasco! Leave SJ alone on this one!
He's right.

GB..I'm really good friends with Leemon's and Payne's..actually I live about two miles from Leemon's.   I think maybe you just got unlucky with the one you got.  Most of Leemon's cattle do extremely well out on pasture.  Don't get me wrong, there are some out there that don't work as well as my RB Eagle 148 daughter, but most of the Kryptonite (Payne's Trump Son) do really well as cows.  It's ok to not like their animals, but not all of them are like the one you had in your experience...

DL

Hey garybob -may not be the breed - there is actually research to support that cattle going from south to north do ok the next year but cattle going north to south take a year or more equilibrate and apparently what you describe is exactly what they do - stand in the pond ---just another perspective

garybob

SKF said:
We have had problems with the shorthorns after they are done showing. They just don't seem to hold up in the pasture as the others do. I don't know if they are just not as heat tolerent, because we live in Florida. They spend the majority of the time in the pond but I still like them.
It all goes back to genetics and selection. I was trying to establish a performance-oriented herd, not a show herd. Got burned. turned it all around by going to Missouri and Oklahoma. Used some Waukaru carnegie, and some Creole semen and established a more stable base, which I have bred upon. Also, a man in Arkansas, Russel Sloan's genetics helped a big bunch, too. He passed on a couple years back. State sale hasn't been the same since.

garybob

dragon lady said:
Hey garybob -may not be the breed - there is actually research to support that cattle going from south to north do ok the next year but cattle going north to south take a year or more equilibrate and apparently what you describe is exactly what they do - stand in the pond ---just another perspective
dear DL, it's not the breed! Never said it was!!!! I said it was the breed-ING! yeas, the environmnetal adaptability curve is well-documented, but, on the flip-side, then why, do the all-beef canadian cattle, and the wuakaru bulls adapt so well to the south? Because they are better beasts, inside and out . Period. I rest my case.

OH Breeder

garybob said:
Doc said:
sjcattleco said:
shortyjock89 said:

He's right.
I have to agree with DL on this one. WE had some cows come fromt the west. They did fine. We sold some from Ohio down south and they did not take the heat to well. Genetics IS a big part of it. If cattle are aclimated to a certain climate then it is hard for them to change immediately. Some never do.
Doc's point is TO EACH THEIR OWN. I don't think any one is RIGHT or WRONG. It just an opinion and some folks seem to have success and others may not. GB you are focused on performance, and others may only be focused on show. Is that right or wrong, maybe, but who cares, ...." its my perrogative...."

Status
Not open for further replies.