Shortie Guru's--- Vortec?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

I know there's a bunch of Shortie lover's on here.. tell me about Vortec- daughters, sons, breeding power, calving, whatever...

JIT, you can tell stories, I like reading them, makes me feel like I'm learning something. 

I have always like Vortec bred cattle but haven't used any. 

stumpy

He can also make them flat out great showmen, ne. I know that you follow Sullivans and the only bull calf in his catalog is a Votec. You can ask  Feeder duck and I, we will tell you that the highest profile heifers to ever leave our barns were Vortec's. Count on high volumed heavy muscled cattle that get better every day that you feed them. An added bonus is the ability they have to produce. Mona Lisa 35L and 34L have both made great showring cattle and our Vixen cow has 2 bulls in Sullivans pen right now. Don't underestimate what Vortec can do. He may not work on every cow but when he does it is in a big way.

Attachments

• FGMissVixenCopy.jpg
    FGMissVixenCopy.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 324

shorthorn boy

A really good cow of mine is a vortec. I have seen some really good ones but I have also seen so bad ones but you will have that every now and then just depends on the breeding. Stumpy that heifer is flat out awesome. Usually when I think of a vortec heifer right off the top of my head for some reason she is always the first to pop in my mind.

oakbar

I personally like the Vortecs.  He crossed well on our Myrtle Bo cow--my daughter's show heifer from this year is pictured below.  She is a 3/4 sib to lots 1a, b, c, & d in Sullivan's Maternal Legends sale.  I flushed her mother to Vortec after seeing this calf.  This female is now in our herd(bred to JPJ for a late January calf) and we plan to use her as a donor in the future.

Attachments

• Fancy Res. Champ M Madness 09.JPG
    Fancy Res. Champ M Madness 09.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 221

Doc

I think he can put some really nice animals on the ground. Sometimes the calves will toe out in the front end like he did.

TMJ Show Cattle

This may be a little off the beaten path,but with all the available genetics I want Vortec blood in the few shorties I carry. They not only breed true for us with Shortie clubbie bulls but they seem to "click" very well with Black bulls also. Our best clubbie type cows are Vortec, or Sons of, crossed with Angus cows.

feeder duck

Daughters of Vortec. The White sock is out of a son of Vortec we raised.

Jeff

Attachments

• tl2.jpg
    tl2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 224
  • chantillyNAILE.jpg
    chantillyNAILE.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 234
  • bailey1.jpg
    bailey1.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 206

shortdawg

I'll have my first in a couple of weeks out of Trump's Blue Baby - a heifer - I think she could be pretty cool !

kane1598

I personally am a huge fan of Vortec. If you like big, stout, productive, sound cattle with show ring looks,  ull LOVE Vortec. His daughters milk well and are some of the breeds most influential cows. His bull calves seem to be pretty easy keepers, and are fertile. The steers do pretty well, we fed one out and he was a good one. I think Vortec is sort of one of those Go-to shorthorn bulls. The ones Ive seen and been around, they arent designed for calving ease.

Mitch

I to like using Vortec. The cows have been all around sound, good milking, producing cows for us.  We have a Vortec bull that turned out to be a calving ease bull.  We ending up loosing him, sure wish  we still had him.  We are selling a flush in our Sale Oct 25th(Cedar Valley Shorthorn Sale) on a Vortec Daughter.

Mitch

Jacob B

Never been a huge fan of Vortec.  Like any bull some good ones and some bad ones.  He doesn't work on everything, that's not why I am not a huge fan.  Yes course haired on some great haired cows.  Makes them a little courser featured(the ones I see).  I do like some of the positives that he brings like that extra muscle, bone and foot, but I don't see a ton of maternal ability from his cows.  I like to use a Vortec son to get away from some of the negatives like birth weights.  I am very impressed with what I have seen out of K-Kim Cruiser.  I think adding the Mona Lisa X Dazzler helps Vortec but he is still fairly young and time will tell.  Good bull overall, just would like to use a more maternal son rather than him if I had a choice.

Vortec is one of my favorite bulls.  If I see him in the pedigree or if they are bred to him I love it.  I want to use him on some flushes.  Yes, there are some negative traits here and there, but I would trust him on almost any of my cattle!  I love his front end.  One of my best show heifers was a Vortec daughter! 

inthebarnagain

Glad to see this post.  There is a new bull coming out that is out of a Vortec/6807 cow and out of the bull Ebony's trademark so he will be a halfblood simmi.  I can't remember what his name is right now but will post pictures when I get them.  I didn't know anything about Vortec but with the others that are in the bloodline I am excited now!

mark tenenbaum

inthebarnagain said:
Glad to see this post.  There is a new bull coming out that is out of a Vortec/6807 cow and out of the bull Ebony's trademark so he will be a halfblood simmi.  I can't remember what his name is right now but will post pictures when I get them.  I didn't know anything about Vortec but with the others that are in the bloodline I am excited now! I wanna see him-simmi and shorthorns really compliment each other when they nick. What do you think the BWS would be? I guess thats a dumb question. O0

mark tenenbaum

inthebarnagain said:
Glad to see this post.  There is a new bull coming out that is out of a Vortec/6807 cow and out of the bull Ebony's trademark so he will be a halfblood simmi.  I can't remember what his name is right now but will post pictures when I get them.  I didn't know anything about Vortec but with the others that are in the bloodline I am excited now!

oakbar

We have two Vortec females and we're really happy with both of them.  We flushed Myrtle Bo to him last year but unfortunately we've had trouble getting embryos to stick this year.  I'm really disappointed that we won't have more Vortec X Myrtle Bo's coming next spring.  We still have a few embryos left so we'll just have to try again I guess.  Both our Vortec's are pictured on our websiteshowcattlepage.com/oakbar 

inthebarnagain

mark tenenbaum said:
inthebarnagain said:
Glad to see this post.  There is a new bull coming out that is out of a Vortec/6807 cow and out of the bull Ebony's trademark so he will be a halfblood simmi.  I can't remember what his name is right now but will post pictures when I get them.  I didn't know anything about Vortec but with the others that are in the bloodline I am excited now! I wanna see him-simmi and shorthorns really compliment each other when they nick. What do you think the BWS would be? I guess thats a dumb question. O0

The bull that was mentioned in the above post just won the simsolutions division at Kansas.  His reg. # with the simmental association is 2482125. 

Attachments

• BK09-2-9541_ExtraLarge.jpg
    BK09-2-9541_ExtraLarge.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 225

EONF

This is a more recent picture of the white socked heifer Feederduck posted. Very nice cattle to everyone that posted pictures!

Attachments

• rsz_img_1073.jpg
    rsz_img_1073.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 156