Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

im thinking on a shortie heifer she is a red roan . Reno X CLS Sydney
wouls she be any good to start a shortie herd on, i already have maines
LegSHHfr8.jpg

also what about this PB simmie heifer
Dream On X Pelton’s Miss Teri 2H
CE: 10.5 Birth: 1.2 Wean: 35.6 Yrlng: 61.1 MCE: 7.5 Milk: 2.4
Due 02-01-2008 to OCC Just Right (Preg checked safe to AI date)
PC20065.jpg

shortdawg

She's not a bad heifer at all. Being out of Reno, I would want her TH tested. Also the Dream On bull has produced some good offspring. Either one would probably be great additions ( if the shorty is clean ).

CPL

Maybe its the white or something, but she doesn't look overly thick. Also I think she could be heavier boned. I wonder how her muscle pattern in the hindquarter appears when that hair is gone.

I like the simmi better. Thicker, long, well muscled. However, she's not as strait in her lines ACCORDING TO THE PICTURE. I would go with the simmi because she looks like she in it for the long haul.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't say the shorthorn isn't as thick, I guess she's just got alot more leg to her.

itk

If you are just looking at her from a cow standpoint she should be fine if she is THF. However if you are wanting to be competitive showing her as well, I would lean towards the simmy. Nothing against the KS simmy kids but showing shorthorns in KS is not for the faint of heart. I admit there are some very nice simmy females in KS but over the past many years the SH heifer classes have been the largest and toughest classes at the big shows. I think they will both make great cows but you might have more showring success with the simmy.

CAB

Don't know the prices, but you are getting a 2 in 1 on the Simmi. She's the right kind of Simmi. Not so tall and looks soft. I think that if I were serious about getting into the SH business, I would probably look for 2/3 embryos to buy and hope for pregs. and heifers.

Jill

Have to agree, most kind of stay away from the simmi classes in KS, but if you want to show a steer, I would buy a simmi, heard Zach Conine has a really good one for sale if your looking.  Last year at the State Fair there was only 1 simmi that showed up and 500 and the clipper box didn't go to anyone, not saying that will happen again, but who knows.  The simmi looks like a decent prospect and Bryants are good people to deal with.

As far as showing a Shorthorns in Kansas, I am not being a smart alec, but if you want to show a Shorthorn here you had better buy one that is capable of winning the National Jr. Show, or be willing to stand in the bottom half of the class.  Not everyone shows to win, and if you don't mind that, buy what makes you happy, but if you are wanting to do well in the showring Shorthorns are one of the top 2 or 3 divisions in Kansas, it is hard to compete even with top animals.  
The heifer you have picturered to me looks like there isn't much to her when you take off the hair, I guess for me she looks leggy and hard doing, not what I would look for in a show heifer or a cow, I think there are a lot better shorthorns out there for a cow prospect than the one you have pictured.

itk

Jill, as a KS shorthorn breeder I'm not as modest as you, but probally much more bias ;D. I would say that shorthorn heifers are the toughest division to show in. We consistently have the largest breed classes at the big shows and up until the last year or so you could pretty much count on a SH heifer being Supreme or Res. Supreme female. I have seen more then one heifer that was a Division winner or Res. Division at Jr. Nationals stand in the middle of their class come KJLS. M12, if you want to see how that heifer will stack up take that picture and put it next to the picture of the lot one heifer in Cates sale because that will be you competition for the next year. But like I said earlier if you just want a cow and the price is right and she is THF go for it.

Jill

If you are looking for a cow, Reiss Club Calves is dispersing their cow herd on Friday at Russell Livestock in Russell, KS and I really think you would do much better buying a mature bred cow with a proven track record.

pigguy

here is a more up to date picture of her at tulsa state fair open show. she is bred to occ just right any one know where to find some pictuers of him?

GetAttachment.jpg

Jill

If you have a Genetic Horizons catalog 2007 he is on page 3 under Angus sires, otherwise he should be pictured on the web site.

pigguy

maine12 said:
here is a more up to date picture of her at tulsa state fair open show. she is bred to occ just right any one know where to find some pictuers of him?

GetAttachment.jpg
she placed 3 behind 2 heifers that sold for 10,000 and 12000

NHR

If you dont want the Shortie heifer, let me know where she is. I am trying to buy a few Shortie heifers right now.

ROAD WARRIOR

Troy has some excellent shorthorns - He is a good cowboy that knows the good from the bad. Good cattle, good people, good friend.