Shortie Jr Natl's & IL!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Did anybody else see in the new Country that if you show at the Shortie Jr Natl's , you want be allowed to show at IL State fair.That's going to hurt some in my opinion.

DL

Doc said:
peachy said:
Havent received  my shorthorn country,whats  the reason behind this?

They have been in a non- TB free state.

Actually Doc our state is divided into zones - most other states recognize those different zones, not Illinois though

IMHO you can blame the Illinois state vet for that - the MI committee that is organizing the Jr Nationals, the Michigan State Vet and a wide variety of other people came up with a proposal that both the IL state vet and the IL director of Ag vetoed

Let me present a few facts - Michigan has been battling bovine TB for the past decade

The TB has been found in deer and cattle in NORTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN - called the MAZ or Modified Accredited Zone

There has been NO issue with bovine TB in the UP (Upper Peninsula) which USDA has classified as TB FREE

There has been NO issue with bovine TB in the remainder of the lower peninsula which the USDA has classified as MAAZ (Modified Accredited Advanced Zone)

The vast majority of states allow cattle from the MAAZ of MI to enter their state with a negative TB test within 60 days of entry (NOT ILLINOIS)

The Jr Nationals will be held at MSU which is in the MAAZ - the MI state vet  proposed to ILLINOIS the following
-all cattle going to the JR Nationals will have a negative TB test within  60 days
-all cattle will have RFID
-Michigan cattle will be housed in a separate barn from Illinois cattle
-NO cattle from the MAZ in Michigan will show
-NO Michigan cattle over 2 years of age will show
In addition plans were made to have a veterinarian check all health papers

There is no scientific evidence that there is a risk to Illinois cattle but the IL state vet and director of Ag vetoed the plan and created some onerous regulations - I guess because they can

Apparently they are unaware that at some of the major shows Illinois cattle could be stalled next to or walk by cattle from (OH NO) Michigan or Minnesota or other states that could have TB - apparently they are so busy putting the kibosh on Illinois juniors showing in the Jr Nationals that they are unaware of what goes on under their nose - pretty pathetic really

shortyjock89

YA. It's some crap. I finally get a heifer that could win a class there, and I can't show her there. It was going to be my last year, but I guess I'll show in Indy next year.

DL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
YA. It's some crap. I finally get a heifer that could win a class there, and I can't show her there. It was going to be my last year, but I guess I'll show in Indy next year.

Yeah - I love it when the animal health officials make decisions that impact youth based on politics and BS and possibly egos rather than science - but that is state rights at it's finest - perhaps we should vote the IL state vet and the IBAH as the curmudgeon of the decade.....wouldn't you think they would have more to do that go thru lists of juniors and then sending them letters? Amazing - the IL tax payers dollars at work - ain't that special?

Show Heifer

Wasn't it IL that was threatened closing the fairgrounds for the IL beef expo due to "mismanagement of funds" on the higher level?  The state was so broke they had the electric and water shut off from the grounds? Maybe a year or so ago?

I am getting the feeling that IL just doesn't care about the junior program OR the cattle industry!

Cattledog

Show Heifer said:
Wasn't it IL that was threatened closing the fairgrounds for the IL beef expo due to "mismanagement of funds" on the higher level?  The state was so broke they had the electric and water shut off from the grounds? Maybe a year or so ago?

I am getting the feeling that IL just doesn't care about the junior program OR the cattle industry!

Actually, the year the Beef expo was cancelled at the Illinois State fairgrounds they had severe electrical problems.  They had to shut off the power due to covers blowing off the manholes!  I have no doubts about fund mismanagement.  Heck, we're one of worst states as far as debt goes.  I'm just thankful California is around so we won't ever be dead last!  ;D

Cattledog

simtal said:
Show Heifer said:

You mean "agriculture" in general

This happens when the largest voter base is north of I-80.  I swear, they believe that they are their own state up there.  I feel sorry for the good people trapped behind enemy lines!

sue

Alot of Michigan Juniors were not able to show in IL last year.

the_resa86

The way that the information was worded in the Shorthorn Country is a bit confusing. The way it is worded makes it seem that if you as an exhibitor come to Michigan you will not be able to show at the state fair, even if you are showing a different heifer, this is NOT true. The below excerpt was taken directly from the premium book for the Illinois State Fair:

The following is to clarify the Illinois State Fair exhibition eligibility status of animals being exhibited at the National Jr. Shorthorn Show.
The Illinois Bovidae and Cervidae Tuberculosis Eradication Act regulations state that, “Any Illinois cattle, bison, cervidae or goats being exhibited in Non-Accredited Free States or Canadian provinces that are not tuberculosis free must be isolated from the remainder of the herd/flock upon return to Illinois and retested for tuberculosis 60-120 days post entry.”

As it relates to the upcoming National Jr. Shorthorn Show being held in Michigan June 22–26, or any event which time will not allow compliance with the law, animals being exhibited in Michigan will not be allowed to exhibit at the 2010 Illinois State Fair. These animals must not be commingled with other animals in the herd and must be immediately isolated from the rest on the herd upon return. Animals in the herd that are not exhibited in Michigan and that have not been commingled with animals that have returned from Michigan are eligible to exhibit at the 2010 Illinois State Fair. These regulations apply to Illinois origin animals as well as those that originate from outside of Illinois. It is expected that owners will take all necessary precautions to prevent both direct and indirect contact between isolated and non-isolated animals.

DL

the_resa86 said:
The way that the information was worded in the Shorthorn Country is a bit confusing. The way it is worded makes it seem that if you as an exhibitor come to Michigan you will not be able to show at the state fair, even if you are showing a different heifer, this is NOT true. The below excerpt was taken directly from the premium book for the Illinois State Fair:

It is my understanding that the original intention of the rule from the IL state vet was as stated in the Shorthorn Country - if you showed at the JR Nationals you were not going to be allowed to show at the IL State Fair - even with different animals. Apparently once lawyers were involved the state changed their tune

It is interesting that the USDA recently removed the TB testing requirements for southern lower MI to travel out of state and that USDA is encouraging states to follow their recommendations since the risk of bovine TB in this area is about zero zip nada - most states have adopted the new rules - but not Illinois - how would they respond to a real issue?

RAShower

You could write the Governor Illinois @

Illinois Department of Corrections
Dwight Correctional Center
3200 North Road
Dwight, Il 60420

That is if he isn't busy making licsen plates! ;D