Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

sue said:
I took this picture of Muridale Buster 14K the summer after we purchased a flush on his dam, Robin.

Like if one could write better history about a bull - his sons and his daughters. Incredible bull with incredible breeders- hope you dont mind I posted my own photo of this bull.

Very few females have impressed me as much as Muridale Robin 57G. Time is ticking - scoop up this very proven sire.

Here is a picture of Muridale Robin 57G . I am sure coyote can provide a better one or some others of Buster. I will agree 100% that the Robin cow was one of the best around anywhere, and her son Buster is a great breeding sire.

Attachments

• Muridale Robin 57G - Buster's dam.jpg
    Muridale Robin 57G - Buster's dam.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 455

mechanic

Here is a flyer on ULURU BUSTER6T. He is a BUSTER 14K son that we think will work as good as his daddy. He seems to  be a calving ease sire. Our heaviest born calf was 85 pounds. They seem to have a tremendous amount of performance to them as they all have done well this summer. We are showing one heifer calf this year and think she is good enough that we have entered her in Louisville. I will post a picture of her in a couple of days once I get it uploaded. JIT and a bunch of people can give their opinion on him as they would have seen him at Agribition and Toronto last year.

Jim

Attachments

sue

Cowgirl - you might get Buster 14K through cattlevisions still ???

The buster son that Mechanic posted is a good bull. He is a cattlemens bull from front to back . Thick deep quarter.  Mechanic I will see this baby heifer  in LOuisville, are you out of cheese? I am out of Grants- gave it to Dad for his 80th.

Glad you posted this bull.

mechanic

I am glad to hear that your Dad will beable to enjoy the Grant's Scotch but don't worry i will bring you more to Louisville. I ate all the cheese you sent home with me so I may need some more of it by Nov.
You are right about Buster 6T he is a cattlemans bull for sure. Moderate in frame with a big old foot and thick from front to back. He is breeding cows in Iowa this season but we will bring him home to Canada for next year to use on the Ricky Bobbies and the Golds.
Jim

aj

So what did we decide? The Country club shorthorns face strict selection pressure and are damn good cattle I guess.

trevorgreycattleco

r.n.reed said:
I agree Dan that we should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.The breed has indeed made that mistake many times.However the commercial beef industry our judge and jury, has spoken loud and clear on our prominent genetics by the absense of Shorthorns in that arena.You can argue that no one has promoted them to that arena but I have to believe that if their was real or perceived value there ,true cattle businessmen would be utilizing them in their programs.

Thank you. Agreed.

aj

The price of corn has gotten higher here lately. They claim the funds are pouring money into commodities cause the economy is so stale. I have always thought that if you would set up a fund.......a mutual fund........called Shorthorn World Wide.......you would hit the jackpot. I spose you would make Cagwin ceo. Then people who have never seen a cow could invest in Shorthorn cattle world wide.....you would have billions of dollars pouring in from the stock market. Would not this double numbers in the breed? Maybe you could set up some kind of sub prime loan deal. Then you could have a Angus World Wide trust fund also if the deal worked out. Couldn't this be used as a tax shelter also. Some one in a high rise in New York could buy some flushes and frozen embyos and a couple bales of hay and you would have the next breeder of the year award winner in the Shorthorn breed. Oh lord forgive me. ;D

justintime

aj said:
The price of corn has gotten higher here lately. They claim the funds are pouring money into commodities cause the economy is so stale. I have always thought that if you would set up a fund.......a mutual fund........called Shorthorn World Wide.......you would hit the jackpot. I spose you would make Cagwin ceo. Then people who have never seen a cow could invest in Shorthorn cattle world wide.....you would have billions of dollars pouring in from the stock market. Would not this double numbers in the breed? Maybe you could set up some kind of sub prime loan deal. Then you could have a Angus World Wide trust fund also if the deal worked out. Couldn't this be used as a tax shelter also. Some one in a high rise in New York could buy some flushes and frozen embyos and a couple bales of hay and you would have the next breeder of the year award winner in the Shorthorn breed. Oh lord forgive me. ;D

aj... I think Hoyt &Sons already tried this. It worked for awhile and was a great investment scheme, until they got greedy and started to bend the rules. They beat the IRS in the first court case, but this only got them mad, and they lost the second one. It worked great for awhile and it was a great stimulus package for the breed for awhile.

Shorthorns4us

Ok, I have been reading through this thread, listening, reading, learning, reading some more and now I am going to stick my neck out with this post.

Don't forget the small breeders folks-- the small breeders that don't have the big sales, big promotions, big show names, etc. sometimes have some great gems in their fields.
That is how I find a lot of genetics to bring home when I am out looking.  Yes, we small breeders do have start somewhere and alot of us have started with some of the bigger farms genetics and go home and build from there.

Just a reminder that there are some great things going on at small farms!   
There I did it.
;)

Hilltop

Thank you Shorthorns4us. (clapping) (clapping)
I will admit I have not kept up with the news from some of the other breeds the past few years but I wonder if they (Breeders from various other breeds) bash their own breed and association as much as some of the Shorthorn people on here do.
If I were new and looking at purchasing seedstock and were to read some comments from a few SP members I would think that 99.9% of Shorthorns were no good,which is far from true.
We are a small operation also and a number of our females we run are leased. I believe we have some great things going on at our farm.
One of Canada's most recognized breeders from another breed told my wife and daughter last weekend how they thought our cattle were awesome. Two of the animals are out of dams from Okotoks and the other is a daughter out of a cow my wife picked from JIT. Seems like maybe these two BREEDERS have done more than just complain about our great breed and worked to achieve their goals.

I was thinking that maybe this post could be renamed to "Who wants to cut down their own breed"?

uluru

AJ
About 5 years ago I put together a package in Canada where by investors could buy cattle and lease them back to a breeder/farmer on a share or cash basis.
It was a tax effective program and I sold a few deals in Canada
It worked OK for a while but the returns were not sufficient to attract the big investor and the risk perception did not fit well with some investor models.
I believe there are still a few of the deals running out to maturity.
I still believe there is a place for this kind of investment program in Canada.
I am not sure about the US as I don't understand the tax ramifications down your way.
I think a small guy needs to team up with a major reputable Financial Advisory team to make it work.
It helps to have an Accountant and Tax person endorse the program.

Okotoks

Shorthorns4us said:
Ok, I have been reading through this thread, listening, reading, learning, reading some more and now I am going to stick my neck out with this post.

Don't forget the small breeders folks-- the small breeders that don't have the big sales, big promotions, big show names, etc. sometimes have some great gems in their fields.
That is how I find a lot of genetics to bring home when I am out looking.  Yes, we small breeders do have start somewhere and alot of us have started with some of the bigger farms genetics and go home and build from there.

There I did it.
;)
You are right , a lot of great cattle are bred by small and often new breeders. I would use an example of  Erwin & Kathy Rosenkranz and their sons Dan and Ben. In a few short years they put together a great herd of shorthorns. They had some success at Regina Agribition show and they sold cattle to some well known breeders. One of their bulls Wolf Willow Major Leroy has offspring around the globe. They are enthusiasic kind people with a vision and a plan. Last year JIT sold Wolf Willow Sparkle Delight 2S to Cyclone Trace and she was one of the best females I have ever seen. There is a lot of Wolf Willow influence in the upcoming Sun Country Sale!They had great success and when their plans took them in a new direction we were all sad but we still value their friendship. Hilltop is right, there is a lot of negative  people posting here but it is a good place to learn. There are lots of great people as well. (Watch for Hilltop's ACC Cattle Company ,they will be heard from)
You need to develop a plan to promote your herd, being small doesn't mean you can't breed and sell some great ones!

trevorgreycattleco

Shorthorns4us said:

There I did it.
;)

Don't get much smaller than me and I could not agree more with you. I love shorthorns and talking about the pros and cons is healthy. Just because someone says something doesn't mean you have to agree. People say negative things because they have had a negative expierience. I sure am not all roses and sunshine when talking shorthorns but I still will keep breeding them.

justintime

I think being a small breeder has it's challenges in any breed. I would think that being a small breeder in the Shorthorn breed would not be any worse than being a small breeder in the Angus, Simmental or Hereford breeds or any other for that matter. There is a definite place for small breeders in any breed, and it is a very important piece of the industry. As Okotoks mentioned, our senior herd sire came from a small breeder. Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M came from a cow herd of 11 cows. He was the first purebred animal born on the Rosenkranz farm. He has now been used in over 50 countries and he has sold more semen into Brazil than all other Shorthorn bulls combined in history. Several of our leading donors came from small breeders. New Beginnings Elsies Jade came from a herd of 10-12 cows. Prairie Lane Sparkle was one of the 11 cows in the Wolf Willow herd, and she was born in the Prairie Lane herd, which was under 20 cows. I have several other excellent cows that come from very small herds.  Our Irish import bull IDS Duke of Dublin was raised in a backyard in Ireland by a man who owned 1 cow. He led this cow 8 miles down the road to have her bred at the Deerpark herd, and Duke was the resulting calf.

If it wasn't for small breeders, many of the consignment sales around the country would disappear. They serve a vital role in any breed. The bigger breeders would not have any success if there was not small breeders to purchase their cattle. When you look at the biggest and best sales each year, only a few animals sell to what are referred to as the biggest breeders. This is no different than in any other breed. Take a look at what takes place in the Angus and Simmental breeds for example. For example, look at the SAV bull sale last spring. I think there was something like 30 bulls over $25,000 and 10 over $100,000. It was not small breeders buying these bulls. Look at some of the Angus sales that gross $3-4 million and have cows that bring over $100,000.

As far as the show ring is concerned small breeders can compete if they have a quality product. I can think of several leading bulls and females in recent years that came from smaller herds, that won and/or became valuable breeding animals.

No breed can survive without an active group of small breeders. I consider myself a small breeder, as I don't run in the same circles as the big name leading breeders, and quite frankly, I have no desire to do so. All I want to do is develop a good market for the cattle I produce. I would suggest that no big breeder, who is in the business for the long run,  will ever underestimate the value of the small breeders they market their cattle to.

kfacres

justintime said:
I think being a small breeder has it's challenges in any breed. I would think that being a small breeder in the Shorthorn breed would not be any worse than being a small breeder in the Angus, Simmental or Hereford breeds or any other for that matter. There is a definite place for small breeders in any breed, and it is a very important piece of the industry. As Okotoks mentioned, our senior herd sire came from a small breeder. Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M came from a cow herd of 11 cows. He was the first purebred animal born on the Rosenkranz farm. He has now been used in over 50 countries and he has sold more semen into Brazil than all other Shorthorn bulls combined in history. Several of our leading donors came from small breeders. New Beginnings Elsies Jade came from a herd of 10-12 cows. Prairie Lane Sparkle was one of the 11 cows in the Wolf Willow herd, and she was born in the Prairie Lane herd, which was under 20 cows. I have several other excellent cows that come from very small herds.  Our Irish import bull IDS Duke of Dublin was raised in a backyard in Ireland by a man who owned 1 cow. He led this cow 8 miles down the road to have her bred at the Deerpark herd, and Duke was the resulting calf.

If it wasn't for small breeders, many of the consignment sales around the country would disappear. They serve a vital role in any breed. The bigger breeders would not have any success if there was not small breeders to purchase their cattle. When you look at the biggest and best sales each year, only a few animals sell to what are referred to as the biggest breeders. This is no different than in any other breed. Take a look at what takes place in the Angus and Simmental breeds for example. For example, look at the SAV bull sale last spring. I think there was something like 30 bulls over $25,000 and 10 over $100,000. It was not small breeders buying these bulls. Look at some of the Angus sales that gross $3-4 million and have cows that bring over $100,000.

As far as the show ring is concerned small breeders can compete if they have a quality product. I can think of several leading bulls and females in recent years that came from smaller herds, that won and/or became valuable breeding animals.

No breed can survive without an active group of small breeders. I consider myself a small breeder, as I don't run in the same circles as the big name leading breeders, and quite frankly, I have no desire to do so. All I want to do is develop a good market for the cattle I produce. I would suggest that no big breeder, who is in the business for the long run,  will ever underestimate the value of the small breeders they market their cattle to.

I actually agree very much so with this...

aj

If you are not accepted in the commercial industry you do not have a product. It is fun to do the shorthorn cattle deal. As long as you call a spade a spade its cool. Jit in my opinion the people you need to expand the breed don't visit this board. That is a fact.

Okotoks

aj said:
If you are not accepted in the commercial industry you do not have a product. It is fun to do the shorthorn cattle deal. As long as you call a spade a spade its cool. Jit in my opinion the people you need to expand the breed don't visit this board. That is a fact.
Well now I feel better! Something about airing dirty laundry.......... ;D

aj

Nice try but no relation........although  some of my ancestors were Mormans. They were in the Morman battalion.

justintime

aj said:

I am constantly being surprised by the people who tell me that they regularly read this board.