Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

[email protected]

I have been hesitant to throw any names out there but the other day I was asked what ever happened to Snappy.
There is still semen available at genetic Horizons.  His birth weight was 72lb.  we never got the chance to prove him but always felt like he could have done great things.  He did produce the Res. Shorthorn Steer at the New Mexico State fair from his one and only calf crop.    
I do think he would get a live calf out of a heifer.

His full sister was Champion Jr Shorthorn heifer at the American Royal.  Champion at the Oklahoma Youth Expo, and Champion at the Colorado State fair

Attachments

• mainimage.jpg
    mainimage.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 176

[email protected]

Sire is KABA Cowboy (Snowball Son) 7/8 bull    
Dam is a KABA Keyston Daughter.  I think she was a Keystone X Dividend daughter.  Been a long time.  Hard to remember.

DOB:   July 20, 1999

Here is a picture of full sister

Attachments

• okcwinner.jpg
    okcwinner.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 168

oakview

I bought some snappy semen way back when, but never had any conception rate with it.  I will say that I've had few problems calving with the full brother to KaBa Rose T90 I used.  I have saved back a son of him out of a Keystone daughter and have high hopes for him as well.  Similar genetcis to Snappy have posed no calving problems in my herd.

scotland

ease of calving  with performance you can't go wrong using JSF Addicted , short gestation, (5 days) on 15 breed dates, 100% unassisted, 9 virgins calving at 24 months of age, birth weights form  72 lbs-93lbs. Show champion as a yearling and 2yrold... weight at Agribition 2509 lbs.

Attachments

• 1GRP3785[1].JPG addicted2010.jpg
    1GRP3785[1].JPG addicted2010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 171

mark tenenbaum

scotland said:
ease of calving  with performance you can't go wrong using JSF Addicted , short gestation, (5 days) on 15 breed dates, 100% unassisted, 9 virgins calving at 24 months of age, birth weights form  72 lbs-93lbs. Show champion as a yearling and 2yrold... weight at Agribition 2509 lbs.///Great looking bull-but hes got to come from a huge cow-I still have 1 left that will go a ton plus-and her Junior Walker(bigger and thicker  than proud jazz) calves are no where near that size-He looks like one to bring clubbies up some and maintain thickness along with reasonable calving. Dont know the cow-dam-would guess Rodeo and maybe some Dreamboat -(by way of Trump) or further back some Eagle or Enticer breeding.

linnettejane

sjcattleco said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
Elbee, how about the best Gizmo son? I finally remembered your screen name I believe?

I am going to wade in on this one... I think I may have as much Gizmo influence in my herd as Lee does.  As far as the best Gizmo sons go if you want to talk in terms of bulls with semen available to my knowledge there are only 2 Wymore and Elbee Gizmo's Image. I owned Image!  The most fun I have ever had was in Louisville showing that bull. It was the most fun getting last place I have ever had... The traffic around him in the barn was awesome and so were the majority of the comments but standing in the ring with bulls that were 12 inches taller 400 lbs heavier and had half the muscle he did was a blast!  I honestly think Image was one of the best bulls I have ever seen bar none.  Gizmo was great but Image was thicker, more muscle expression,and  more masculine. He was the extreme that I needed to get me down the path that I wanted to be on and was what allowed me to eventually produce AM. For those of you that are familiar with linear measurement Gearld Fry scored Image at 2 and said he was one of the highest scoring bulls he had ever done. 

half my herd has image in it, and i really like him....scott and i do differ on opinions on what he works best on (among other things  ;) )  but he does what he likes and i do what i like with them...my favorite, best producing line with image has been double vision...i can almost 100% guarentee you will never see a dv on scotts place...but i love my image x dv females and especially like them bred to jpj...for me, thats what works...i now have a great great grandson of image in my herd...was really hoping for a heifer to keep, but still very pleased with him...anyway, i like the way this line milks, calves, breeds, disposition, pretty much everything about them...

the first pic is an image great granddaughter, 7/8 shorty plus (that other 1/8 is red maine), 2.5 yrs old, 2 days before having her first calf, a purebred sired by jpj
2nd pic is her and her first calf, 2 weeks old, 82 lb bw, unassisted, and took off as soon as he hit the ground

Attachments

• 100_9729.jpg
    100_9729.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_9849.jpg
    100_9849.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 139

aj

Calving ease is hard to predict in the breed for some reason. We are taking a couple bulls in our Denver pen that had a 76 and 70# birth weights. They are 3 quarter shortie 1 quarter red angus though. xar51070 and xar51069.

Mark H

How about using WINALOT KANNON 7K from Alta Genetics?  He is being marketed as a calving ease sire and with a BW EPD of -2.1 might be a good choice.  Any thoughts?

Okotoks

sue said:
pIcture???
I know there is a better photo, maybe Scotland has it.

Attachments

• Winalot Kannon 7K.jpg
    Winalot Kannon 7K.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Winalot Kannon blue calf.jpg
    Winalot Kannon blue calf.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 468

sue

Winalot Kannon 7K - ASA epd's :

CE -3.3  BW +2.6, mmm are we looking at the same bull ?

Mark H

Yes this is the same bull.  It seems that Alta genetics hasn't updated their website for some time-explaining why no one is recommending him for heifers.

scotland

I bought Winalot Kannon with the Winalot cowherd. He was used 5 years by a commerical man, kept for his easy calving and good growth. We used him here on all types, vigorous calves, unassisted. And they grow, one son was high gainer at the Douglas test cnetre. Blue Ridge bought an interest and run him with all their cows, sired over 100 calves per season, reported easy calving on all types and breeds of cows. His daughters make exceptional producing females, great undders, small teats.His pedigree is an out cross to most.

Okotoks

scotland said:
I bought Winalot Kannon with the Winalot cowherd. He was used 5 years by a commerical man, kept for his easy calving and good growth. We used him here on all types, vigorous calves, unassisted. And they grow, one son was high gainer at the Douglas test cnetre. Blue Ridge bought an interest and run him with all their cows, sired over 100 calves per season, reported easy calving on all types and breeds of cows. His daughters make exceptional producing females, great undders, small teats.His pedigree is an out cross to most.
                      AF 12 O'CLOCK HIGH X-*1461- 
            STRATHORE MYSTIC MARVEL 10A -*1673-   
                      STRATHORE MYSTIC ROSEWOOD -F641802- 
  JANELL'S MARVEL 2F X-*4730-     
                    HESPERO BANK TITLEWAVE 8A X-M461906- 
            JANELL'S UTOPIA 19D X-F664277-   
                      SIX S IDA 10X X-F650376- 
WINALOT KANNON 7K       
                      GREEN RIDGE DIVIDEND 196 -[US]3702843- 
        J S F LIGHTFOOT'S HIGH 5 -M456639-   
                  HILLTOP LASSIE 691 -[US]3629521-D 
  SHADYBROOK FERGIE 13W -F649084-     
                  TILVIEW PRINCE ALBERT X-M446460-D 
        SPRING GRANGE DUCHESS 18L -F632214-D   
                  WILLOWHOLME DUCHESS KATHLEEN -F580822-D 
The D's in the registration numbers of Spring Grange Duchess 18L stands for Dual Purpose,some old breeding that is becoming very rare.

Mark H

Scotland,

How did the rest of the Winalot  herd turn out for you?  This could be a source of desperately needed outcross for the clubby boys.

Okotoks

the truth said:
perhaps it's my eyes, but how does a bull go from blue as a calf, to red as a mature bull?
If you are referring to Kannon the top picture is Winalot Kannon and the bottom is a blue crossbred calf sired by Kannon. Your eyes are fine!

kfacres

Okotoks said:
the truth said:
perhaps it's my eyes, but how does a bull go from blue as a calf, to red as a mature bull?
If you are referring to Kannon the top picture is Winalot Kannon and the bottom is a blue crossbred calf sired by Kannon. Your eyes are fine!
[/quot

actually,my eyes do suck in real life.. something wrong with them.. keritokonis.. maybe? spelling not sure of...  I thought I read somewhere under those pics it was same bull though