Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

Thanks okotoks. I think your right. He does seem a little short but IMO that comes with the territory on most JPJ offspring. I like the bull because of his dam. I dont want to put JPJ in my herd but if I was going to pick one that dude would get a shot. I didnt notice a pic of the Tsunami bull? Lot one thro 8 is out of a Lauer cow and a Stangle bull. Interesting.

Okotoks

Wouldn't SBR TSUNAMI 20T sire BYLAND AXIS 1D85 be a low birth weight calving ease sire? Is semen marketed on him?

trevorgreycattleco

According to the catalog he was injured and unable to recover while breeding cows. I am assuming he is dead or on the injured reserve list for awhile. I would agree he deserves a shot at being on the list if he is able to be.

Okotoks

trevorgreycattleco said:
According to the catalog he was injured and unable to recover while breeding cows. I am assuming he is dead or on the injured reserve list for awhile. I would agree he deserves a shot at being on the list if he is able to be.
If SBR TSUNAMI 20T is gone is there semen from his sire BYLAND AXIS 1D85? SBR TSUNAMI 20T must have been an AI calf as he was born in 2007 and Axis was born in 1991. Axis is also the great great grandsire on the dam's side. The bull SBR AX 01 was by Byland Axis and he was a noted calving ease sire. Also it looks like Keith Lauer is using a Byland Axis 1D85 son, JSF/RB AXIS 6U born in 2008. He is out of Byland Mission cow, grand dam by RB Eagle 148th. Axis has a +4.7 CE and a +0.4 BW EPD.

cattlefarmer

I was through the bulls in Katheryn yesterday and they are an awesome set of bulls from the front of the catalog to the back.  Wouldn't say there was a bad bull there some are just very very very powerfull!!!  If bulls like them were the norm in shorthorn breed rather than the exception commercial acceptance would be here. 

trevorgreycattleco

cattlefarmer said:
I was through the bulls in Katheryn yesterday and they are an awesome set of bulls from the front of the catalog to the back.  Wouldn't say there was a bad bull there some are just very very very powerfull!!!  If bulls like them were the norm in shorthorn breed rather than the exception commercial acceptance would be here. 

There are more breeders out there than you think. They just have not been deemed "cool" yet. I would like Rob Sneed to bring 30- 40 bulls to Denver, A@T, Leveldale, Meadowlane, SJ Cattle Co, Loving's, Roy Lovas, Muridale, Okotoks, JR Ranch, Saskvalley, Elbee, KAPER, Lauer's, Lakeside, on and on. I got a brain full of ideas, just a wallet full of nothing lol. I'll keep workin at it.

cattlefarmer

There are more I will give that, however many aren't as visible as Jungels are.  Also you need the numbers of bulls like are at Jungels for the breed to gain commercial acceptance.  JMHO.

NSF

Okotoks said:
The Eionmor Marquis 86G was mentioned earlier. I see Lot 18 in the Durhams for Denver is by him. Solid red polled and out of a JPJ dam. His BW is 82 lbs. with a -1.2 BW EPD.
I like the Lot 19 bull. He is out of an 86G daughter and by a JPJ son. BW 81 lbs. with a -0.1 BW EPD. Red and horned but looks like one of the best calves.
Looks like a good group. The SBR TSUNAMI 20T calves look interesting.

That lot 18 bull is a darn good calf. I have been up here getting bulls ready for Denver and he is one of the bulls that i really like. I really like the looks of the Marquis daughters that i have seen so it leads me to believe that the daughters out of this bull would be phenomenal producers. Combine this with his eye appeal, true muscle shape and overall balance makes me think he could be something that the shorthorn breed needs

jaimiediamond

I really like the 18 and 24 lots in the Durhams for Denver

I also was sent a PM about another heifer bull  AR SU LU BRASS 608 he has semen available and was used on heifers naturally until he got too big. 
his Spring 2011 EPDS are
CE    BW  WW  YW  M  MW  MCE
2.1  1.1    17    23  2  10    4.8
http://vaithcattle.com/ArSuLuBrass.aspx

Attachments

• ARSULUBRASS608.jpg
    ARSULUBRASS608.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 142

sh breeder

I got a new bull to put on the list K-KIM CRF CYRPESS 8U ET he is a Marquis 86G son and a outcross no Trump or Double Stuff or Rodeo Drive
Tom Dardyshire owns and just got a 62# hiefer out of a hiefer and up and sucking pretty little red neck roan
Just ! to think about hope we can find more like this

kfacres

My red angus bull is proven safe for heifers, and red in color...  over 150 heifers calved, 1 assist (malpresentation), one dead from something other than coyotes.  Atleast he's proven safe! 

M Bar Girl

The first 2 heifers calved to Fathead (M Bar Castlerock 722T) last week.  Low 80s.  (clapping)

sigsigns

We have a Creole son here at the farm that we used on heifers two years ago as a 2 year old and these are the results. Bred all the replacement heifers and then show heifers that didn't settle AI first try to him. Raised our hi selling heifer at $13,500 out of a first calf heifer and his first calf crop. She is the white one and her momma was a Sonny-n-Clear. Annie won her class in Louisville in the open show and is a late April. The other heifer came out of a Bloodstone heifer that Ben and Sharon Wilson bought from us. They were very pleased one morning to find her up and nursing after a no problem birth. This heifer is a May.  Both heifers were in the 70-80# range. We have collected semen and have started marketing it privately and a few of the semen suppliers have picked him up. The pic of the bull is in his working clothes in Sept last fall.

Attachments

• wilson heifer.jpg
    wilson heifer.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 10 calves 172.jpg
    10 calves 172.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • Annie02.jpg
    Annie02.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 162

Okotoks

sigsigns said:
We have a Creole son here at the farm that we used on heifers two years ago as a 2 year old and these are the results. Bred all the replacement heifers and then show heifers that didn't settle AI first try to him. Raised our hi selling heifer at $13,500 out of a first calf heifer and his first calf crop. She is the white one and her momma was a Sonny-n-Clear. Annie won her class in Louisville in the open show and is a late April. The other heifer came out of a Bloodstone heifer that Ben and Sharon Wilson bought from us. They were very pleased one morning to find her up and nursing after a no problem birth. This heifer is a May.  Both heifers were in the 70-80# range. We have collected semen and have started marketing it privately and a few of the semen suppliers have picked him up. The pic of the bull is in his working clothes in Sept last fall.
Looks like he is doing a good job, those are nice heifers. What is his name?

jaimiediamond

Okotoks said:
sigsigns said:
Looks like he is doing a good job, those are nice heifers. What is his name?

I am taking a guess at him being MAV BELLRINGER 804U *xAR47018.  I need all the bulls listed actual names so I can update the heifer bull list!!!!

CE    BW  WW  YW  M  MW  MCE
-0.7  -0.6  8      19    4    8    -3.6

Okotoks

I thought I should mention SPRB BOTTOMLINE TARZAN 78 a bull from STEPPING STONE RANCH,EDSON,KS (SHIRLEY'S SHORTHORNS). He had some sons in their pen at Denver and they were
low birth weight and had lots of thickness. On our last day a good white bull from their pen was heading off to Montana. In 1998 when we first exhibited a pen in Denver Shirley Shorthorns were there and they have been developing there own bloodlines ever since. One of Tarzan 78's sons had a 64 lb. BW and a 648 lb weaning and the other a 75 lb. BW and a 630 weaning weight. Another option for those looking for a different bloodline. Added plus - great people!

Okotoks

I'm just curious and way too lazy to try and check it out but does 60,000 plus views on this thread make it one of the most read? Other than the word game what was the most read thread?