Shorty update PHA

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I emailed Gwen at the ASA after trying desperately to find the PH status of a bull. She referred me to the DNA folks. It is my understanding that the board ruled that PH is an issue with Shorthorns and within the next month they will also be updating a list of PH Carriers for the ASA web site.

aj

I would think that all ai bulls should be public information. It just seems like to me.... if a bull was th free and pha free people would be yelling it from the mountain tops. Since we are a ways out from commercial acceptance...lets get it public and clean it  up and then sell bulls to the commercial industry.jmo :)

DL

aj said:
I would think that all ai bulls should be public information. It just seems like to me.... if a bull was th free and pha free people would be yelling it from the mountain tops. Since we are a ways out from commercial acceptance...lets get it public and clean it  up and then sell bulls to the commercial industry.jmo :)

Seems pretty simple doesn't it aj! How long will those pending results last?? Well the ASA is certainly not in a hurry to PHA test their AI sires and donors. Since they all had to be tested for TH and have parental verification, and since the test has been commercially available for some time, how difficult is it to call Agri-genomics and say run a PHA on the DNA you already have.

ps If I read it correctly this will be required starting October 2008 ! :(

red

why have the Maines been bashed for so long for not stepping up quick enough but the Shorties are just now doing something? Just donesn't seem right to me.

Red

knabe

it's always easier to bash than to give a compliment.

maines have moved on to spastic paresis, at some point will do monkey mouth.  keeping moving on these defects is to be applauded.

garybob

DL said:
aj said:

Seems pretty simple doesn't it aj! How long will those pending results last?? Well the ASA is certainly not in a hurry to PHA test their AI sires and donors. Since they all had to be tested for TH and have parental verification, and since the test has been commercially available for some time, how difficult is it to call Agri-genomics and say run a PHA on the DNA you already have.

Since people breed for spring calves in June, why not make the effective date May 10th?

GB

OH Breeder

DL said:
aj said:

[size=10pt]My understanding though is that the list will be available on line prior to October. Give credit where credit is due. Glad they are moving that way. Some times big machines move slow. It is a step in the right direction. In some folks minds yes, it is long overdue. [/size]

Jill

Do you know, are they going to go ahead and post now the ones that have already been tested?

dagrate1s

Although most of the major bulls are already tested, it will still take a little while to make sure all the a.i. bulls will be tested and the tests take a while to complete so thats why the requirement is probably october. However, I agree this is a huge step in a positive direction for cattle breeding in general. With the tech advances in the world, we should be able to soon pinpoint 99.9% what the calf will be marked like, sex, size, shape, and grow pattern... won't this be nice!! haha

DL

dagrate1s said:
Although most of the major bulls are already tested, it will still take a little while to make sure all the a.i. bulls will be tested and the tests take a while to complete so thats why the requirement is probably october. However, I agree this is a huge step in a positive direction for cattle breeding in general. With the tech advances in the world, we should be able to soon pinpoint 99.9% what the calf will be marked like, sex, size, shape, and grow pattern... won't this be nice!! haha

Actually the PHA test takes less than 2 weeks from receipt of sample to knowing results - unless it is incredibly busy - and that 2 weeks includes extracting the DNA for analysis - and since the DNA has already been extracted (since the ASA previously required testing for TH for AI sires and donors) October seems excessively long to me but at least they finally admitted that there is an issue - Of the 10 most popular Shorthorn AI sires for 2006 calves, 3 were carriers for both TH and PHA and one was a carrier of TH (Shorthorn Country April 2007) - hard to ignore that as an issue but some tried. I sure do appreciate the bull owners who tested for PHA before it was required and made those results available.

aj is that test on Nobody's Fool still pending
:D

aj

I really don't have a "dog in the fight" with nobody's fool. If she was a carrier.....ouch. She probably wasn't a pha carrier...she has like 100 offspring through e.t. and 5,000 great grand cattle....and most of them win their classes at the big shows. If she was a carrier.....it looks like to me that 60% of the show cattle are pha.It is just interesting to me how this will play out. I guess the showring people don't care if they are carriers if they look the part. I hope Nobody's Fool is clean. The shorthorns are a great breed of cattle. We will survive. I would just like to know what is going on. (thumbsup)

aj

Anybody out there"in fly over country" test any vortec calves for pha? He should be clean.

oakbar

I can't tell you anything about Vortec--but I'd sure like to know cause we have a couple of really good females out of him!!  Its certainly about time the ASHA jumped on this--in my opinion its a potentially much more damaging gene defect than TH.  At least with TH you don't usually risk the cow as well as the calf!!

Joe Boy

I got the 2008 Spring Update from Genetic Horizons today and found it very interesting:

New Shorties:  9 of the 10 are listed as THF and PHAF.  I applaud that! 

NEW MAINES:  9 out of 9 are listed as THF and PHAF.

Composite bulls:  36 bulls are listed, mainly for the show ring.  12 are THC; 3 PHAC; 1 TH unknown; 1 THC and PHAC; 4 TH and PHA not listed; 15 are THF and PHAF.

GONEWEST

Have  any phenotypic qualities been noted that can identify PHA animals like those that are sometimes correlated with TH?? Anything that would be economically advantageous to someone that goes along with PHA? I haven't heard of any. I know that some animals that carry it also carry some desirable traits, but there are others with the same traits that are PHAF. If not I don't see why PHA can't be wiped out quickly. TH is a different deal altogether, but it seems to me PHA could go away in a relative hurry.

Jill

Everyone seems to have different opinions of that, but if PHA carriers a desireable phenotypic trait I sure don't see it.