Shot question SQ vrs IM

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Some shots can only be given one way or another.  Check on the bottle which it says to do.  If you're still not sure, call and ask your vet and make a note of it.

Hoosier

Like OFS said, some pharmeceuticals can and should only be given one way.  Another big difference is that injections given SQ will be somewhat slower to take effect in the animal, but typically are longer lasting drugs.  Shots given IM typically will give the animal a more rapid effect but will not last as long.

DL

subq =SQ= = subcutaneous = under the skin
IM = intramuscular = in the muscle

as stated - IM generally acts more rapidly than SQ (IV = intravenous = in the vein is most rapid onset)

the label will tell you how to give the drug or vaccine

for BQA many vaccines and drugs are going to SQ in the neck

muleman

I just worry about getting knotts in the neck and in the mucsle it doesn't seem to happen as much. What might I be doing wrong?

DL

muleman said:
I just worry about getting knotts in the neck and in the mucsle it doesn't seem to happen as much. What might I be doing wrong?

Depending on what you are giving some vaccines and antibiotics are very "knot-o-genic" -
With any potential show animal I always use the non show side for injections
If you leave the needle in the vial or use the same needle for many injections you can increase your chance of getting knots, so using a new needle and cleaning the skin a bit can help decrease the chance of knots

Vaccines for clostridial organisms (C,D, and tetanus as well as the various others) are notorious for causing knots
Tetracyclines are big knot makers
Draxxin and Micotil can make some good knots too

Knots are as you surmise less likely when you inject in the muscle

Sometimes knots just happen and you aren't doing anything wrong ;)

Latest posts