Shot Schedules

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

Over the weekend I was asking some cattle people what my vaccination program should be. Good question I thought. Got a bunch of different answers. So I put it to you, the Planet, to share your shot schedule, be it for steers, heifers, cows or bulls.

Thanks,
SD

red

Cowboy has an excellent program. Hope he can get the time to post it.

Red

chambero

Honestly, vaccinate your calves just like a feedlot wants them.  Some references we base our program on includes:

http://www.powergenetics.com/health.htm

Superior Livestock Auctions also has a pdf on their webpage for their "Selec-Vac" program.

Most of the practical variations depend on what your cows are vaccinated for.

I'm not much help on cow vaccination programs.  We vaccinate for Lepto and worm them, but that's pretty much it for cows running around in the pasture.  But we are in dry country and don't have any exposure to other cattle unless a neighbors bulls sneaks in. 

We don't vaccinate cows for respiratory diseases, so we commonly use on our calves Cattlemaster (respiratory), a PMH vaccine I don't remember the name of, and Vision 7 w/ Somnus (blackleg).  We first vaccinate at the time we cut calves - usually 90 days into calving season.  We vaccinate a second time within about 30-45 days of weaning. 

On show calves that get weaned early, we use Vista Once SQ (for respiratory) + a second shot of Vision on the day we pull them off the cows.

common sense

Just a quick note.  We give all of our calves C/D Antitoxin.  I was told by my vet that at least 1 in 15 or 20 will have an allergic reaction so I keep a bottle of Epi in my vaccine kit just in case.  I was really shocked at that ratio.  Just food for thought.

DL

There is no one sized fits all vaccination program - it all depends on area, closed vs open herd, disease prevalence, etc and it should be tailored to your specific herd and your specific needs.

Some programs (ie bull tests, feeder calf sales) have specific requirements. There are billions (OK maybe not quite that many) of vaccinations out there - I think it is a good idea to find one of 2 and become familiar with them

I personally vaccinate for IBR, BRSV, PI3, BVD types 1 and 2, the "5 old leptos", lepto hardjo bovis, rabies, and the 7 clostridial organisms

I use primarily Pfizer vaccines - Cattlemaster for cows, Bovi-Shield for calves, Vision 7, Spirovac, and Merial LA rabies. Steers get tetanus toxoid. Anti toxins of any type are prone to cause allergic reactions

Having epinephrine is a good idea if you are vaccinating with anything - things happen. Most epinephrine needs to be refrigerated, however there is some that can be kept at room temperature...it is (naturally) more expensive.

red

agree 100% w/ DL on the epinephrine. After a heifer had a reaction to PCN, we have some on hand all the time. Just a good idea for emergencies.

Red

Latest posts