Should I trade?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

If the pictures you have are current, she is very small for a 15 month unless you are very tall.  I would trade in a heart beat.  You would be money ahead from what I can see.

TottenClubCalves

okay here are some better pics of the little heifer calve. the first one is when she was a little calf and she shows alot of potential i realize that she probably didn't have the best mother if she only weighs around 400 ibs but i believe that i can bulk her up and she could be a decent heifer. the last two are her now. Yes my show heifer is a shorter stockier made clubbie heifer but she is not as short as most clubby heifer. I really want to start producing some calves and setting up an operation to give some of are local kids down here a chance to buy and show something besides beefmasters and brahmas, not that there is anything wrong with those breeds i just like the appearance of how clubbies stand out. I really think that with a little tlc on that cow that she could be bred to a nice stout shorter thicker made bull like carnac or hannibal and end up with a heck of a nice calf. I thought for a first calf heifer that she was a decent little heifer.

littleheifer3.jpg

littleheifer.jpg

littleheifer2.jpg

red

much better picture of the calf. I'm really torn on this one to be honest. At first I thought it was an easy descsion but after looking at the calf & hearing you can get $1100 for the heifer calf, you might be ahead to trade. I'd price your heifer at about $2500.
How old is the cow or did you say? How many calves has she had?

Red

red

I guess you have to look at what you want or what your goals are. do you want a show heifer right now that is competative? Or do you want a brood cow that can make you some money?
You have to examine your objectives & make the choices based on your long term goals. Which animal best suits your needs & ideals as the best for you?

Red

SKF

I've seen your heifer and I would NOT trade her. You really could breed her a lot of different ways and get some nice show calves out of her. Have you seen the shorthorn in person or just pictures? Why is the guy wanted to trade her? She is coming from up north right? Remember she might have a hard time adjusting to the florida weather so it may take more feed to keep her looking good. Plus just because she is bred does not mean you will get a calf. We bought a bred shorthorn one time for 2000 then she had a 112lb breech calve lost the calf and the cow was unable to bred back so we ended up in the hole. You have a nice heifer I would keep her.

TottenClubCalves

thanks skf i appreciate the complients and thank you all for helping me out. I have decided to keep my heifer and i think i'm going to breed her to jakes proud jazz

TJ

TottenClubCalves said:
thanks skf i appreciate the complients and thank you all for helping me out. I have decided to keep my heifer and i think i'm going to breed her to jakes proud jazz

That's probably the smart choice... both keeping her & trying JPJ on her.  Not sure how he works on heifers, but IMHO, JPJ should sire a nice calf out of your heifer. 

Latest posts