should we call the vet?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

My sons cow was due to calve on yesterday,  This is her third calf, the first was 3 days early and weighed 105 the second was 8 days early and weighed 87.  She has been bagged up for a few weeks now and has clear mucus on and off for over a week.  Should I call the vet out to check or give her a few more days.  I am mainly worried about the size of calf

knabe

there's a real good human baby sitter on here named cowboy. 

he has good bedside manner and helped me through a few of these.

frostback

It dosnt matter the past pregnancies. Just ask a mother who has had a bunch. Every pregnancy is different. If she is only a few days dont panic yet. They can go over by 2 weeks and be fine. I would give her some more time.

cpubarn

I agree with frostback, that she should be ok for a while by the numbers you gave us, but if you want to have the vet out.  Have the vet out.  If he/she giggles at you a little for being worried, no big deal, that way you know you've done your part.

leanbeef

I understand being anxious when they're overdue, but frankly there's really nothing your vet can do until it's time. And one day over is really nothing at all. Give her a week before you start getting really anxious, and she oughta have it within three more days after that!

The best thing you can do is keep a close eye on her. Within 12 hours before labor, she'll start latent labor, and she'll look for a quiet place to be alone and separate herself from the rest of the herd. Pay attention to her behavior...what's normal, if she seems anxious or alert...and try to see her at least 3 times a day if possible. Every 4-6 hours is ideal if you're really nervous about this, but that's not always possible.

Labor for a mature cow shouldn't take more than two hours, but that's after labor actually starts. If you can be around and feel pretty comfortable about when she starts, you'll know if/when it's time to interfere. Everybody will be better off if you don't jump the gun and get involved unless you need to. Instead of getting anxious or giving in to fear, keep your head, use your common sense and above all else, trust your instincts. Most of us humans have learned to react to fear instead of instinct, and fear is not a good guide in this type situation.

Good luck! I'll start calving about 30 head in a couple weeks, so I may need you to send me my advice back to me when I start getting anxious to see babies on the ground!

Ms Ray

Thanks

She had a bull calf tonight, all is good, only problem is it came head first but she did fine.

leanbeef

Head first?...you mean with both front legs back? She must have a pelvis you could drive a truck through!

leanbeef

Ms Ray said:
yes, the head came first with front legs back.

I always wonder how many actually are born abnormally presented that we never know about. If they don't have enough trouble to need help & we're not there to witness the birth, we just assume they were "normal" front feet first, head between the knees. But I know of a couple cases when things were different from that and everything went just fine. I'd venture to say there are more breech births than we might assume...as long as they come feet first & not tail first, there's really no problem with those. Two of my kids were breech!

My dad delivered a set of twins once, and one of them came with one foot back. He said she delivered so fast he didn't even have time to correct the presentation! Bit that was twins and they were relatively small. I'm curious about the birth weight of your calf...

leanbeef

Ms Ray said:
not sure how to post a picture, but go a weight of 100lbs

I'm having a hard time picturing a cow that can have 100# calf with both front legs back...

Ms Ray

IMAG0405.jpg

This was taken when he was 4 days old

vc

Nice looking calf and he looks to be doing well, I am glad it all worked out for you. I would definitely keep the cow.

Latest posts