Show Barn Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Blackangus55

I have a Morton barn that we built last year, and we really like it. However the only problem we have is it has three 14ft by 12ft openings closed with a gate for the show calves to enter the barn in the morning, and allows all the sunlight to come in the stalls! I thought about hanging up a tarp, but worried the wind would tear it and the calves would be scared to walk under them. Also, where would i even find a tarp that fits perfectly. I am open to trying just about anything. The only two things I'd like to keep in mind is cost and looks. Thanks for advice!

<cowboy>

kanshow

Check FarmTek.com    They have curtains & such that might fit your need. 

justa cowman

You might check if you have someone near you that has dump trucks the new roll tarps are nylon mesh and work great for sun shades, pool covers work too but don't let as much air through

coachmac

Cant think of it right now...... (i know, what help is that) but I have seen our local sale barn (Joplin, MO) use a heavy shade cloth for some of their outside paddocks for overflow.  They have held up really well.  We use a piece of the material they used to cover the west end of the show barn when the sun is setting during the fair.  If I can find out what it is I will get back with you.  I'll make some calls. 

feeder duck

JohnsonCattleCo. said:
I have a Morton barn that we built last year, and we really like it. However the only problem we have is it has three 14ft by 12ft openings closed with a gate for the show calves to enter the barn in the morning, and allows all the sunlight to come in the stalls! I thought about hanging up a tarp, but worried the wind would tear it and the calves would be scared to walk under them. Also, where would i even find a tarp that fits perfectly. I am open to trying just about anything. The only two things I'd like to keep in mind is cost and looks. Thanks for advice!

<cowboy>

I have used the tarp type material that they use as shade on dog kennel tops. It shades yet lets air move very well. In the winter I use a waste treatment gravity belt material. NO AIR or Water goes thru it. I'll get some photos.

Jeff