Show Barn Lights

Help Support Steer Planet:

mandi_a97

My barn has very poor lighting so I had some spotlights installed last year which help but not enough when I'm grooming late at night. So I'm wondering what lights yall use in your barns and if any of you have any recommendations for lights to get installed in mine? I'm a college student so I work with my calves early in the morning or late at night. Any advice would help. Thanks! 

b_kackley

4 foot LED. They really light up a barn. If you have your barn wired with recepticles across the rafters you can hang them at the height you want and just plug them in. If the light ever goes bad they are easy to change out. We did this with florecent lights but when they go bad(the ballasts) we are replaceing them with the LEDs. It is literally a night and day difference.

GoWyo

For big overhead lights to light large areas, I use metal halide 400 watt.  Check online as they are usually about half the cost of big box stores for the same thing.  Get the ones with the lenses on the bottom of the bell housing because they disperse the light better.  LED is coming down in price pretty quickly, but it is still hard to beat metal halide on a cost per square foot basis.

Doc

IMO the only way to go is LED. We put them in our new barn and are very pleased. They are cheaper on the electric bill, don't put off the heat of other lights, they will last for a long time and don't attracts bugs as bad as other lights. The cold don't affect them either.

mandi_a97

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! I loved the ideas, hopefully I can get something installed soon. Thanks again!