Show barn

Help Support Steer Planet:

CANsteer

What kind of insulation do you use in your show barn? Not sure if the pink insulation for houses is good enough or if spray is better? Any suggestions are welcome!

RidinHeifer

Spray it. We used that in the living quarters of our trailer and it made a huge difference. If you just want to keep sound down use rboard but I assume your looking to keep warm/cold. The spray makes a mess, but if you want to cover.the walls it is really easy to shave it down flat.

chiangus

Are talking the spray foam?  It is very effective, but very expensive.  You can buy sheets of insulated foam.

CANsteer

yes, i am talking about the spray foam and i know they sell sheets of foam. i am just wondering what people use to insulate their barns because my dad and i are going to start working on our steer barn in the next couple of weeks.

GoWyo

We just built a 36x54 barn and will spray about an inch of foam on on the interior once the wires are pulled for electricity.  I have been in a couple of other barns in the area that sprayed foam (we get a lot of wind) and that inch of spray foam makes a pole barn really nice for all seasons.  I did put in a vented ridge cap (used the flexible vent closure strips under the ridge cap), so that will help to make sure the barn gets adequate ventilation.

cyclone38

GoWyo said:
We just built a 36x54 barn and will spray about an inch of foam on on the interior once the wires are pulled for electricity.  I have been in a couple of other barns in the area that sprayed foam (we get a lot of wind) and that inch of spray foam makes a pole barn really nice for all seasons.  I did put in a vented ridge cap (used the flexible vent closure strips under the ridge cap), so that will help to make sure the barn gets adequate ventilation.

GoWyo - I am looking at building a new barn in the very near future. Would you be willing to send me a PM or post here some of your thought process of why you did what you did, what company you went through, a budget you worked with, etc. Thanks!!!

GoWyo

Cyclone38 - I'll share a few thoughts publicly and maybe some more will chime in.  We built it ourselves and learned quite a bit in the process.  I did not have to draw a permit since it is 100% ag use in our county.  You will need to check on permit requirements first.  I used glu-lams for posts and dug them to 48 inches and poured about 8 inches of concrete in each hole.  Holes were 12-inch diameter.  Backfilled with crushed rock.  Had to be really careful getting all posts on a string line.  I had help getting columns set from a friend who used to build pole barns.  Girts were next with standard 2x6 boards and a bottom green board.  Looking back, I wish we had set the green board about 2 inches higher, but what we have will be OK.  I had trusses made and delivered.  Set most of them ourselves with a boom that went on a pallet fork.  Looking back, I would have hired the entire truss setting and purlin installment done as it was a pain and we were pretty slow at it.  I custom ordered the steel direct from an outfit in Colorado that forms the steel.  They did a good job.  I used the PBR Panel in 26 ga.  It is heavier and harder to work with, but quite a bit stronger than 29 ga.  Got most of the steel up on the sides.  Hired out the roof work and it was worth the money.  Ordered rollup doors from BuyDoorsDirect.com and have to install them yet.  They are rated for Miami-Dade County wind as we get a lot of it.  Cost was comparable to overhead doors and there are no tracks to install other than the ones on either side of the door openings.

Materials for barn were: columns - $2400; lumber pack - $1600; trusses - $1800; metal, screws, vented closure strips - $6500; hired work (digging post holes, crushed rock, installing trusses and roof) - $2500; roll up doors (2-12x10, 1-10x10 and 1-4x8 plus a 36-inch man door) - $4000.  Total cost to date $18,000 give or take.  Still have to pour shop floor in one end and pads in the door ways ($5000 est.), install electrical and water.  I probably saved $4000 - $5000 doing my own work - not sure it was worth it, but I didn't take any shortcuts on it.  I have a friend with a commercial foam sprayer, so just have to buy the juice for it and run it, but should be able to spray it for $1000 to $1200.  Looking forward to getting this thing done.