Show bull advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortybreeder

Does anyone have any tips on halter breaking/breaking to tie a bull calf so that he learns to respect you, without getting overly friendly (like a dairy bull)? I am used to working with heifers, and it isn't a problem if they get affectionate because they only deal with raging hormones every 3 weeks. With bulls however they deal with hormones every single day and I want him to respect people enough to show well, without expecting people to "play" with him whenever he sees them.

cowboy_nyk

Break him just like you would any animal but do not EVER rub his head or allow him to rub his head on you.  Once he gets older (6 months and up) put a ring in his nose.  Don't pull on it but use it to control his head if he wants to push or puts his head down.

Dozer45

I have shown bulls up to a year old without rings with success. Start them out like any other show calf but dont let them get away with ANYTHING right from the get go. Dont baby them either is you want to love on something or give treats and scratches do that with one of your heifers but keep your relationship with the bull completely professional. That being said not be cruel either kind but firm.

mark tenenbaum

Dozer45 said:
I have shown bulls up to a year old without rings with success. Start them out like any other show calf but dont let them get away with ANYTHING right from the get go. Dont baby them either is you want to love on something or give treats and scratches do that with one of your heifers but keep your relationship with the bull completely professional. That being said not be cruel either kind but firm./// Very good advice-its hard not to make friends with your cute little buddy-but then they get big-and can be alot more headstrong,and can hurt you fast trying to be playfull or friendly:much less when they get  in a bad mood. O0