Show bulls????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Blue Intentions

How young is too young to start letting a show bull breed cows?? Would it be best to just wait until they are finished in the show ring or would breeding a couple of cows be ok?? Thanks

kyfarmgirl10

When we showed are bull we didnt really heavy breed him until after the show season was over just due concern of him getting injured breeding or loosing condition... even though he still got injured jumping out of his pen to get to a heifer in heat.... just depends on what you want to do

blackcows

Blue Intentions said:
How young is too young to start letting a show bull breed cows?? Would it be best to just wait until they are finished in the show ring or would breeding a couple of cows be ok?? Thanks

Do you plan on keeping him or selling him?  A lot of people will only buy virgin bull so if you do plan on selling him that may be a consideration, if not I wouldn't think he would loose much condition running with a few cows.  If you were concerned you could heat check and pen breed.

titan

ya i would just have him pen breed.  That would probably be the best for your show bull. good luck with him.

PaFFA Proud

blackcows said:
Blue Intentions said:

Do you plan on keeping him or selling him?  A lot of people will only buy virgin bull so if you do plan on selling him that may be a consideration, if not I wouldn't think he would loose much condition running with a few cows.  If you were concerned you could heat check and pen breed.

Lol jw how do people know if a bull is a virgin?

Blue Intentions

Well actually, we sold this bull to a first time show family in our county. He is an April Shorthorn Plus bull. They have two heifers that will need to be breed in July or August and they want to use their April bull calf. From my experience with show bulls once they breed a few cows they get much harder to handle, so my concern was, since it is this little girls first year to show would the bull be too much for her to handle after he, expericences the thrills of being a bull!!! Also, i have heard that letting a bull breed too early could stunt his growth, he is already a super moderate framed calf, don't know if breeding two hefiers would stunt him, but i thought i would ask!!
**I have discouraged them against breeding him, especially to  show HEIFERS, his birth weight was super low but still a chance i wouldn't take!!

bluffcountrycattle

I'm not sure any young girl, first time exhibitor, should be showing a yearling bull regardless of whether he has bred cows or not.  It won't stunt his growth.  I'd be more worried about the kid...  ::)

Bradenh

PaFFA Proud said:
blackcows said:
Blue Intentions said:

if he doesnt have any calves on the ground. or bred a cow. that generally means he is a virgin

blackcows

bluffcountrycattle said:
I'm not sure any young girl, first time exhibitor, should be showing a yearling bull regardless of whether he has bred cows or not.  It won't stunt his growth.  I'd be more worried about the kid...  ::)

I agree.

Gators Rule

bluffcountrycattle said:

ditto      <rock>

flacowman

and another ditto, even the gentlest bulls get unruly sometimes and a little girl does not need to be the one that gets drug through the barn to the pretty little heifer that's in heat

PaFFA Proud

Show stopper 95 said:
PaFFA Proud said:
blackcows said:
Blue Intentions said:

if he doesnt have any calves on the ground. or bred a cow. that generally means he is a virgin
[/quote
]REALLY????? :eek: JK but what if no one said anything or kept it secret?