Show calf died

Help Support Steer Planet:

Spencer10218

I woke up this morning to find my show steer is dead I relize it can be a number of reasons but I'm just trying to narrow it down. He was on breeders growth from umbarger and a week earlier he had stopped eating I slowly got him worked back onto feed and he seemed to be doing fine. He often breathed heavy and heart rate was up. I worked with him everyday and he wasn't bloated the night before. It just seemed very random for him to die like he did Im not looking to point fingers just wondering if anyone had a similar situation and I have never had a problem with umbarger feed they are great people, jut looking for answers any input is welcome

Tallcool1

I am sorry to hear that you lost your calf.

We had a very similar situation with a steer this past show season, the difference being that our steer never went off feed.

Respiratory problems and accelerated heart rate.  Our vet felt that it was likely a heart condition.  We doctored on him and tried everything we could think of.  We finally gave up and took him to the local locker so that at least we could have the meat.  The butcher has a significant amount of experience and we asked that he pay special attention to his organs when processing.  He saw absolutely no evidence of any abnormalities in his heart or lungs.

The final diagnosis...an allergic reaction to the hay that he was eating.  Stupid mistake on my part.  I never even thought to take him off feed which I know is one of the first things that we should have done.

Go get yourself another one, and hang in there! 

Spencer10218

Thanks for the input when he stopped eating I pulled his hating believe he probably had a respitorey infection I see it at work with the foals