Show Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I am getting about six new hereford heifers in and i will probably keep two and sell the other four a foundation sale in march; which will pay for all of my cattle and probably leave me enough to buy at least one at the foundation sale. My problem is that the older gentleman that i get them from has decided to wait to wean for about two or three more weeks and that is putting me behind schedule because i was wanting to get them no later than the first of November. They will range in age... between febuary and may probably,and i was wondering what all i should do to be getting them ready as quickly as possible for a show/sale that is the last week of march. They have only been on pasture and oat hay and i would like to get them to be eating a good grain/mineral diet, clipped and showing by march. I was just wondering if you guys had some tips to get this done in  in such a short time( about 3 or 3 1/2 months).

pigguy

i would say get them halter broke by the end of december and on full feed, and then hair training, showstick breaking, show breaking, by the end of febuary, and then keep working on them during march.

will they be show heifers or what? i would make sure they that they have good cover on them come sale time. maybe some fat products like power up

renegade

They will all be show heifers, the two i keep and the ones i sell, and thats what i am worried about is getting cover on them because they have only been on momma, some oat hay and some pasture. I will show all six at the foundation and Junior show which is followed by the Foundation sale, and the heifers i have left(and hopefully a new heifer) after that will show in a junior heifer/steer show that is after the sale.

Then if i do buy a heifer at this foundation sale and bring her back the next year as a producing female, i get to show for some big prize money.

pigguy

you could get cover on them by just feeding a ration with about 4% fat, and then if they dont look liek there getting good cover on them you could feed them some cooked corn. Or add power up in there diet