Show cattle operation ideas would like input on this idea

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ryan0587

JTM i know how you feel about pricing cattle. some people think if they are cheap they are not good but if they are too much then they wont buy its a double edge sword here. its a guessing game. i understand what you are saying about Colorado but Ive never been to the other states you listed i will have to check them out. but one thing is since those states are so well known for club calves will it be harder for a new comer to come into the business and get a name for himself. that's the only problem i see. as far as cheap land what is considered cheap??

J

JTM

Cheap cattle land I am thinking under $2000 per acre. Somebody else may be able to speak to whether or not this land still exists or not. You may have a point about the competition for selling club calves but you also need to make sure you have the customer base.

Ryan0587

That's not a bad price but i doubt it will still be out there and i guess no matter where you go you need to get that customer base the hard part is getting it i guess. time will only tell

twistedhshowstock

I think the best way to build a customer base is to be helpful to customers and keep your word.  If you do good by the customers you have you will get more, word of mouth is the best advertising.  I also think you do whatever needs to be done to get good cattle in the hands of good families that will show a lot and raise them well.  This is really important in your first couple of years.  When scheduling for people to come look at cattle always make sure the first families that come are ones that are gonna do good with the cattle, you dont want your best calves ending up in the hands of exhibitors that arent going to do a good job with them.  Another is making your clients feel like you care, especially young families.  Call them occasionally to check up on the cattle, offer advice when you can, try to get out to some of the shows their at, if you have a website put pics of the kids up, even if its just at jackpots.  They are more likely to refer people to you if they feel like you care!

Ryan0587

I really like that idea on how to run a cattle business. word of mouth is the best way to spread word about you. i wonder is a lot of people still work this way. how do you know what families will take care of the steers and do good with them?

twistedhshowstock

I have gotten all the business I ever had from word of mouth.  I have never advertised anywhere, I wont say I am making a living doing this but as a full time college student it keeps me busy enough, lol.  I think you also have to be humble and honest when dealing with people dont be afraid to admit there is someone out there better and dont be afraid to tell a client that you dont know the answer to a question, but always be willing to help them find the answer.
As far as finding the right family. Go to some shows, watch the families and see who are constantly bringing the cattle that have obviously been worked with.  Also go to local 4-H clubs and FFA chapters, they may know of families that do a good job raising cattle but just cant afford to buy the best cattle out there. 

Ryan0587

it sounds like word of wouth is the best way to go. i wish i could start this now but i have to wait. eveyone has been so helpful and thank you so much. i have gotten some good ideas and i cant wait to put them too use. and if there is any more ideas please tell me. some more questions. how many arcers of land would be a good size for and operation of 50 cows give or take a few

KSUwildcat2009

Hey Ryan--Reading all of this really puts a smile on my face.  I love seeing people interested in the cattle business!  Something to think about when you are building your barn, look around at other people's barns and get some ideas.  I've been a lot of places and seen so much stuff that I think "Oh I wish there was a way we could do that in our barn!"  And get the most for your money, make it as versatile as you can.  Gates that can swing all the way against a wall to make 2 smaller pens into 1 big one have been a lifesaver for us many times! 

As far as land goes, I'm not sure that there's much cheap land in Illinois, at least not in the middle of the state, but you can google search "Land/Farms/Ranches for sale in ______" and there's some websites that people advertise and list on. 

In all of the states mentioned, you are going to want to make sure things are accessible during not so favorable weather.  Something as simple as feeding hay can be a total pain in the hind end when theres snow/ice/ mud on the ground.  We feed hay on the side of a hill with a tractor that is definitely not made for that kind of work in that kind of weather.  Needless to say, major headache, but it's what we've got to work with. lol

Keep us updated, and thank you for what you do for our country.  Take care!

Ryan0587

Thanks KSU.

I agree with the barns and the gates i can see how that would make life easier. ive only been in a few barns i guess i need to get out more when i have a chance to get a better idea on what to put in my barn. i will have to look around for land but it depends on where i get stationed at next im hoping colorado and i can start there but the only thing im worried about is the weather and the snow. i just wish i could start this now but the cattle here in afghan are a little depressing to look at and i think they wont make it. can someone tell me a lil more about cattle brokers and how they work the pros and cons about them.

Thanks Ryan

J

JTM

You are probably going to want around 100 acres for that many cows. You can dry lot them, make hay and feed it to them or you can do like me and put them on pasture. You can probably get more cows on less acres doing the dry lot and feed thing.