show day fitting advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowgurl101

Im new to fitting cattle for showing and would like to know what grooming products you use, in what order you apply them, ect.  All the different products confuse me. I noticed someone spray what looked like white powder on a black steer and blowing it later on. I saw in sullivans catalog some white stuff that was recommended to get really fluffy legs - can you use this on the entire body? Thanks for your input!

inthebarnagain

Get a Kirk Stierwalt fitting video.  They have way more information than we could even begin to cover on here, I think we would crash the site as everyone has their own tricks for grooming.  His videos cover a lot of information and are great for a beginner.

ShowmanQ

inthebarnagain said:
I think we would crash the site as everyone has their own tricks for grooming. 

I definately have to agreed with you on that one (clapping) Fitting is an art, and every artist has their own personal preference as to the materials/supplies they use. A majority of people use the same products, but how each person applies them and in which order and so on changes way to much to be able to explain. A Stierwalt video will do wonders, as far as giving you a basic idea of what to do. However, the best way to learn is by trial and error. Do some fitting at home and see what works for you and your calf. Most importantly, spend some time at shows watching others fit.You will learn tons by watching and it is fun to see some of the pros get going on one!!! Good Luck ;D

red

one of the things I look at is the back of sullivan's catalog. They give what each product does & when it should be used.

Red

inthebarnagain

Amen on watching the pros at a show.  My husband has clipped for 20+ years all over the country and will still stop and watch people at a show.  You can always learn something from someone.

Cowgurl101

I really wish i could get all steirwalts videos,but i cant afford them! Feed is killing me,not to mention topdresses,show supplies,gas,entry fees,and all of the above. I wish i could rent them somehow - i even searched all of montanas libraries and none of them have anything. Im new to the show world, so my few aquaintences that show dont have them either. Im pretty sure they dont go on sale either :'(!
    If you have any ideas that might help this penny pincher, id appreciate your efforts. Thanks ;D

OH Breeder

Cowgurl101 said:
Im new to fitting cattle for showing and would like to know what grooming products you use, in what order you apply them, ect.  All the different products confuse me. I noticed someone spray what looked like white powder on a black steer and blowing it later on. I saw in sullivans catalog some white stuff that was recommended to get really fluffy legs - can you use this on the entire body? Thanks for your input!

We wash the night before and apply revive fairly heavy. The next day we only rinse. We start with the legs. There are many types of adhesive to work on legs. The white powder sprayed on legs may not be legal at your shows. it sounds like ULTRA WHITE. It is used to build the legs and is usually followed with paint once it has set. Some people use Zoom Bloom and blow in and coat with Final Bloom prior to going in. But you can also just use Pink Oil and keep blowing til you take the calf out of the shoot and in to the ring. The videos are great. Send me a personal message. I think I have an extra video, i willl send it to you.

showsteer09

The best thing to do is go watch the pros I have been doing this since I was 18 and now I am 26 I have been around and fitted in Denver Louisville and other shows and the best thing to do is go watch and see what is changing.. Thing change so much clippin fittin  every year somone dose something diffrent so everyone els follows.... (cow) (cow) (cow) (lol) (lol) (thumbsup)