Show Halters - Maintenance

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

How do you take care of your show halters?  We only show a couple of times a year, in the summer, and when we get out the show halters they are usually a bit moldy and the leather is stiff and dry.  Any suggestion on how to maintain and store them?

Also, we have always used vet wrap on the halter chains to keep them quiet but it gets dirty and frays quickly.  Does anyone know what Sullivans is using on their new grip leads?

https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/ia/p-1307-showmans-grip-lead.aspx

GHCC

We oil ours up with Neatsfoot oil and we have a coat rack inside the back door of the house that we hang them on.  Show Box always gets humidity and they will mildew. Too expensive to let them rot!

LindseysMaine_Angus

Once I know I am done Showing I clean my halters and put them in the house. Any leather cleaner should work. Also the Showmanship grip leads fray. Mine did so I wraped the cloth in BLACK vet wrap..

C

cedarcurve

mineral oil on the leather, and take the vet wrap off, if it gets moist, it holds moisture, and makes rust. 

AAOK

For over 50 years, I have used Red Wing Boot Oil for anything leather. Best thing on the market!