show heifers/legendary cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

yuppiecowboy said:
Several people mention some of the real popular, and rightly so, modern shorthorn cow families and I have no argument. However, I would think special consideration would have to go to the cows that did their damage without the benefit of Embryo transfer. In any flush of a great cow it seems there are some also rans to go with the ones that are selected to start the Sullivan or Cates sale. For shorthorns I would throw the horns of Deerpark Tulip 5th (I think 5th) owned by old Warren Oetken. She was the mother of Leggs (no intro needed) Len Ru Ta Leader (who was probably a better bull than Leggs and had a thing or two to do with T90 and so many other Kaba cows being lights out) as well as a very under utilized bull called High Octane.

Upon rereading my post I realize I missed the point of the question that was originally posted. As far as true matriarchs that put someone on the map or essentially started a prominent cow family, T90 would get my vote but runner up would be the Lucky Charm cow. Or Lucky Charm's mother however you want to look at it. Ever heard of a Lucky Charm before THE Lucky Charm? Me either. But I do know the Nollswood herd and Lehmans were doing it right for many many moons before that cow family seemed to make everyone stand up and notice.

Attachments

• DeerparkTulip5th.jpg
    DeerparkTulip5th.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 240

yuppiecowboy

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
How bout the Cumberland's? Mona Lisa?  There are a bunch of really good shorthorn cow families that can do it in the ring and in the pasture it seems like.
I love the cumberland line. Truly a great cow family. The first one to make her mark as I remember was the 410 cow. If you think about the type of cattle that were en vogue then to what the cumberlands bring to the table in this era, there had to be some immeasurable "quality breeding gene" in that family. I personally hate Trump and Trump cattle but I love a good Sonny. Must have something to do with the momma line.

feeder duck

I was at WO as a young boy looking at calves for 4-H and seen that cow That indeed was an cow that made them some luck. I was fortunate enough to see  TA leader in stud as a young man as well. I missed on the chance to by T90 as a show heifer. I actually raised a heifer that beat her in class at HBC in Indy, but the rest with T90 is pure history. We owned a 3/4 sister to T90 named KA BA Karizma she was out the the Mary Rose cow and KA BA leader. We gave one Double Down Daughter out of her. As for the cow that help us it would be AR SU LU Gala. God rest her in heavenly pastures this year. I purchased her from Wards sale with a Gimo heifer on her side for $1750 as a first calf heifer. She had the first Vortec calf ever. That heifer  sold as the high seller in th Show Girls sale for $10,000.(Pictured below named Chantilly Lace) That heifer went on to be Res. Grand at IN State Fair and NAILE Jr Show along with numerous jackpots. She had a couple of full sisters that won classes a NAILE, Res. Heifer at Badger Kick off,Class winners at IL Expo. We are showing her lat daughter this year by High Roller and she had a very nice Final Solution before she died of old age. The bull calf is going to be a little girls beginner project.There are some Sonny embryos that sold in Denver that went to Rapasky's that I do not think have ever been put in still out there. I  can appreciate the past but look forward to seeing what type changers can be produced in future.

Jeff

Attachments

• Chanti_small.jpg
    Chanti_small.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 270

Latest posts