Show question of the week!?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jimmyski

red said:
(welcome) Jimmyski!

Thank you so much for a judge's perspective on showmanship! Really appeciate it.

Thanks,
Red

Your Welcome,
Just found the board and so far I really like how everything seems to be going. A lot less personal attacks and it seems to be a lot more civil and straight forward. Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying it.

jimmyski

DLD said:
When I judge a show, I've usually got a pretty good idea who the top showmen are going to be before the showmanship contest rolls around - if I'm just judging showmanship, of course that's different. Very rarely is my mind changed by much during the showmanship classes, so the most important thing I can tell you is that I (and most other judges) remember the exhibitors who do a good job all day, and whose cattle look and act like they've had some attention. You can't act like you don't care in the show then come turn it on for showmanship and expect to win. I limit questions to age, weight, breeding status, and their individual feeding program - I agree that knowledge of the industry is important, but if that's the goal you need to have a quiz contest, not a showmanship contest. My showmanship winners will be the ones that get their cattle presented best, the ones I'd want showing my cattle when it's about the cattle.

I'm not big on switching calves for the same reasons others have mentioned - it can be asking for a train wreck, and it takes up alot of time. It's another thing that has never really changed my mind about who needs to win, so I only do it if show management insists.

I agree with you on a lot of the things that you talk about, however, I do think some industry knowledge is relevant. If you are showing a steer you should know what the avg. dressing percentage, avg. Rib eye area, and current market prices are. The same thing for a heifer, you should know how long a heat cycle is and how long the avg gestation length is. Nothing too complicated, just simple stuff that I expect cattle kids to know.

I also wasn't real big on switching calves when I started judging, however I have grown to like it more. I don't place somebody on how well they show someone elses calf, however I do look at how they handle the situation. If a good showman gets put on a bad calf that throws his head around all time and just won't act right for anyone, I like to see how the showman handles himself/herself. If they remain calm and composed and try to work through things then they might move up a place but if they lose their composure and start beating the animal then they will definitely move down. At that moment I'm not looking at how well they show another person's animal but more at how they present themselves. Just my two cents on the topic.

DLD

genes, I wouldn't hold it against you that one of your calves was giving you trouble, if you handle it well. What I meant by not trying outside of the showmanship contest is the occasional exhibitor (rare, but it does happen) who might show  in tennis shoes, ragged jeans, and tee shirt during the show, then show up in showmanship in nicer clothes, or has an entirely different attitude in showmanship than in previous classes.  

DLD

jimmyski, I certainly have no problem with most of those questions - I'll go there myself sometimes with older exhibitors, depending on the situation. I just don't think questions need to be the focus of showmanship.

The switching calves thing is just personal preference, I guess. Most of the showmanship classes I've judged allow any exhibitor that wants to come back and participate, which I think is great, but it means there's alot of difference in experience and ability, even in the older age groups. Maybe I overthink it, but I often feel like I need to make a pull before I have them switch in order to avoid getting an inexperienced exhibitor into a bad situation, so I just feel like the exhibitors and I both get more out of letting them work their own calves.

jimmyski

DLD said:
jimmyski, I certainly have no problem with most of those questions - I'll go there myself sometimes with older exhibitors, depending on the situation. I just don't think questions need to be the focus of showmanship.

The switching calves thing is just personal preference, I guess. Most of the showmanship classes I've judged allow any exhibitor that wants to come back and participate, which I think is great, but it means there's alot of difference in experience and ability, even in the older age groups. Maybe I overthink it, but I often feel like I need to make a pull before I have them switch in order to avoid getting an inexperienced exhibitor into a bad situation, so I just feel like the exhibitors and I both get more out of letting them work their own calves.

I completely understand your thinking on both topics, I don't feel questions should be the focal point but at the same time feel there is some relevance. To me it sometimes splits up the knowlegeable showmen from the "trained" and that's why I like to use them.

Also, I will only switch with the older exhibitors (Seniors) and only after they have had a chance to show their own animal for while. I also don't do it at every show, usually only when I have 3 or 4 excellent showmen  and even then I try to make sure that I get a feel for all of the kids before I do it. If there are a bunch of inexeperienced or really nervous showmen then usually I won't switch. Sorry, if I haven't been clearer about that in my statements above.

red

Thanks Jimmyski- we appreciate the comments!
Really enjoying the discussion between DLD & Jimmyski! It is really interesting seeing how different judges look at things. Thanks so much guys!!

(welcome)

Red

SKF

Hey Clubcalfshowgirl,

Where in florida are you from? We will be at the arcadia show to. Can't wait.