Show ring thoughts

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

I would like you all's imput on a few show ideas we (our county) has.
1.  Having a 2 day show but showing both heifer shows on one day and then both steer shows on the next day.  I think that is how they did the show in Lima this year. 

2. Pre registration- Sending in entry fees to reserve your stall.

What are your thoughts on having a great show

renegade

This is how our fair works:
Advisor gets entries
You fill out... one for each species(all cattle on one, all sheep on one, etc.)
Put all steers in the steer part and all info about them
All breeding on the breeding part
Send $1 for each animal for vet check
Put how many stall spaces you want (then they add up all the stalls for your club)
Deadline to have it in is a month b4 the fair

The steer show and showmanship are one day starting in the morning... showmanship first
The breeding show is on saturday at 6 ... by breed in alphabetical order

Jill

We just came back from the Kansas Beef Expo and your ideas here would have fixed some of the problems there, they had a 2 day show but both heifers and steers showed both days.  If you had heifers one day and steers the next day someone that just shows one or the other could come and go for a 1 day show saving hotel expense and still getting a 2 show day in. 
I like the stalls assigned for those that pre-entered, make sure those folks get a stall.  The only problem with assigning stalls is it is time consuming for the committee and like at the Beef Expo we pre-entered 7 and only took 4, you end up with a lot of wasted stall area.

itk

Jill how did you guys get along at the KBE. We always enter more animals then we bring just so we can have the extra tack area. This especially comes in handy when we have to set up our blocking chute near our stalls.

Jill

Those barns were full this year, there wasn't any extra room for anything.  We did alright, we had a 1st in our steer class, couple 2nds, 3rds and a 4th, got beat by mostly kids from out of state, so we are ok with that.  Our boys are very young still and we have tried not to push them too hard, so we have a few more years of getting the showing skills down, they had a great time and the calves looked really good so we were happy.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I like your idea of when to have shows.

One fair I go to has 3 different breeding stock shows (4H, FFA, open), 2 different market steer shows (4H, FFA), and carcass steers and the shows are spread out though 3 different days but we stay there 5 days. At the other 2 shows I go to there's just a breeding stock show and a steer show and they're only one day long.

I've never been to a show were you get to pick your stalls but I like that idea.  :) One of them I go to, you tie where you want to, first come first serve. The other two they assign them for you. One goes by breeds (I think - because I was tied by a bunch of other simmes  ???) and the other one goes by if you are showing in 4H, FFA, or only open.

The only problem I'd see with letting people chose their on stalls is they would all be fighting over corner stalls. Most people around here want corner stalls so they'll have a place to stack hay and put their showbox.

fluffer

Thanks for your input!
Let me clarify a few things ( I was in a hurry when I wrote it)

1. This is for a "preview show" this winter.

2. By sending in your entry early your not necessarily getting to "choose" your stalls, we will save that many stalls for you.  In other words it won't be first come first served, it will be first paid first served.  We usually run out of barn space in the main barn which is attached to the show ring, and the people who show up later end up in the horse barn or their trailers.  Now some people perfer this, others don't. 

Does anyone have any other ideas you have seen at some shows that you really like?  We are always looking for ideas.

Thanks again for your input!

vc

We have ral shows out here that are run that way. This show  http://westernbonanza.lib.calpoly.edu/ does it that way and it works out well, that way you only have to fit once and show twice.

knabe

vc said:
We have ral shows out here that are run that way. This show  http://westernbonanza.lib.calpoly.edu/ does it that way and it works out well, that way you only have to fit once and show twice.

wow, another west coaster (welcome)