Show steer pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

Nope missed docking weight by 1 pound with a cutting percentage of 62%. Generated 100 dollars more worth of beef than the closest calf. Also Placed 3rd in class(class of 10) in the live show with the champion steer coming out of his class and he beat the champion born and bred(in state) steer. His class had multiple calves that cost more than 5 grand in the class and the judge said that if he had not been a 15 weight he would have probably been in the running for grand as he was perfectly finished. He was a HeatseekerXMeyer 734. Adg was 3.97 the last month before the state fair so he did pretty durn good imvho.

TJ

FWIW, it wasn't a show calf, but we had a Tarentaise steer that competed in the Great Western Beef Expo Feedlot & Carcass Test in Sterling, CO.  It not only had the highest carcass value in the 150 head test, it also was the 2nd highest gaining steer in the test too (over 4 lbs. per day) & it finished at over 1,400 @ 15 months.  But, it wasn't eating anywhere near 60 lbs. per day.  It was more like 20 something lbs. per day & that was everything included... measured & weighed daily (it was a contest).   

4 lbs. of gain per day, & 60 lbs. feed to do it, works out to 15 lbs. of feed to put on a 1 lb. of gain.  That's not very efficient.   

Also, there is a world of difference between 1400 something pound calf & a 1500 something pound calf.  I also am a little concerned that a 1534 lb. steer won a state carcass contest.  But, it obviously did.  IMHO, 1500+ lb. steers are way too big, but that is my opinion & it sounds like that was the judges opinion too, but obviously when it hung on the rail, it was a different story.  Anyway, it worked for showsteerdlux & that is all that matters.       

showsteerdlux

I never said that he was efficient ;D. I just wanted to try and have the biggest steer at the state fair and it just so happened that I got him finished correctly. Reason I was pouring the feed to him was that I had a ton and a half for the final 2 months and after I fed him lighter for a few weeks then just poured it to him. One or two steers graded a little better but they were much liter steers so they didn't have anywhere near the total value when it was all said and done.
FWIW this calf was just under 17 months old and a WDA of right at 3 so I thought that overall he did quite well.

TJ

showsteerdlux said:
I never said that he was efficient ;D. I just wanted to try and have the biggest steer at the state fair and it just so happened that I got him finished correctly. Reason I was pouring the feed to him was that I had a ton and a half for the final 2 months and after I fed him lighter for a few weeks then just poured it to him. One or two steers graded a little better but they were much liter steers so they didn't have anywhere near the total value when it was all said and done.
FWIW this calf was just under 17 months old and a WDA of right at 3 so I thought that overall he did quite well.

Actually, other than not being efficient, I'll second that you did quite well.  I'd be happy winning a state carcass contest.