Show Steer Weight Gain

Help Support Steer Planet:

adams4563

My steer weighs 700 pounds. He needs to be at least 950. He eats approx. 22 lbs. per day we have 89 days until the show. Any ideas on how to get him to gain more weight. He is a angus sim cross. He has gained 3.3 earlier but 2.7 now.

obie105

What are you feeding? Percent fat? Percent protein? Have you worked him lately?

adams4563

12 % protein local feed mill brand that has been used around here with great results for years. I started with Purina Heavy weight at 2 oz. for 3 days and increased to 3 oz. today. He is eating well except for warmer days 80 degrees plus in Florida. What is the best gain per day that can be accomplished ? He was wormed 45 days ago with a pour on. Would adding safeguard be ok to do now ?

AAOK

If you are not feeding a Finishing Ration, start immediately........gradually!

adams4563

He gained 16 lbs. in 5 days now at 697.  We have 85 days until the show. Can he make 950 ?.

vc

Are you weighing him full or empty? If you are weighing him empty and at the same time of day, each time you weigh him, he should be around 950-960, he gained a little over 3 pounds a day for the past 5 days. If he is empty now and you weigh him in full, he should tip the scales at 990-1000, if he continuous to gain 3 pounds a day.

We always try and weigh empty, we weighed prior to the evening feeding and they had been tied in the barn all day. This lets you know where you are at and gives you some idea where you need to go, plus their ADG is much easier to determine if you are consistant on the time you weigh.

adams4563

He is eating 3% body weight consistently.  Can I increase anything within the feed to help ? Fat, protein ect. ?

PinkOil Princess

It helps to research different feeds and additives. I finish my steers on showmaster finisher grain and add in power phat when I'm pushing them hard. There are also liquid fats you could utilize something as simple as vegetable oil could work if you start him out slowly. However you don't want to push fat if he has got a decent amount of fat cover on him already. I had steers that gained five pounds a day on 10 pounds of grain and no one could figure out why his conversion was so high it could just be the animal and he might already be gaining at his full potential. If he continues to gain 3 pounds a day I'd say he'd meet your desired weight no problem

adams4563

We changed over to a Purina finishing feed added the Purina heavy weight supplement along with soybean meal and Fast track. He's been eating well with a few slow days. Still need to make 950.

vc

He is gaining over 4 pounds a day, so with 48 days you should hit the 950, if he dropped to 3 pounds a day he would gain 144 and be around 1000 pounds, if he stays at 4 he should be about 1040.
I would keep doing what your doing, it seems to be working, and make sure he is full when you weigh him in.

Good luck.