Show Steers or Intricate/Expensive/Picky Eaters...Response to "Dont Get Mad"

Help Support Steer Planet:

jeffb1

Quite simply, those that have figured out the formula for success understand, as in any high level of competition, often times, the little extras we do make the difference in the end. I certainly feel this is true when it comes to feeding, BUT its more than just buying good feed(or supplements). It's feeding it properly in the amounts/types at the right times (both morning and night) and the right "time" for the calf your feeding, i.e., frame, body composition, condition, etc. With regard to show ring selection versus feedlot selection, I would suggest this has more to do with the expertise of the individual on the mic, than the cattle in front of them.No sour grapes just my opinion from observation! To highlight this point, I recall a few years back a family in Ks (that did a bunch of winning consistently) had the champ steer at our big fall show. He was also the champ in the carcass event! I thought that was really getting it done! He looked the part for the showring and he won the carcass contest. Unfortunately this doesn't happen very often. JB

chambero

SouthWest said:
I agree with you Chambero about 10%.  I don't need to see the carcass data from a major show.  I see carcass data on about 2000 head a week.  On a major people go an extra mile to get top quality carcass.  They do it by buying quality cattle and then they have the knowledge to feed the cattle right.  You don't show at a major and penny pinch on the feed.  But a county fair level, what percentage of the cattle are fed right.  When you walk around the barn, how much cattle are fed right?  What percentage of the barn would you pull out, and will grade like that major harvest sheet?  Major showmen have the money to pay more for steer and feed.  County kids tend to have much tighter budgets.  They focus more on the steer making wt. than being fed right.  I see too many worried about breaking the 1200lbs threshold  than its steers finish.  They will cut corners to cut cost even if its to buy a cheaper sack feed. I have seen grower fed to fat steers just because the bag was $2 cheaper.  The 90% always criticize the 10% because their parents have the funds.  I know its not about that.  I teach my kids that it is about doing it right.  That means industry standards.  How many do you see get on a cattle board like steer planet to gain knowledge to feed their calf right?  I don't think its the people that care.  Its the one that don't.  (I am not criticizing all showmen.  I know some don't have the funds and still manage to feed them right.  But some just do it to do a project and don't care.  They are what makes the rest of Show cattle look wrong.)

OK - I see where you are coming from.  It sounds like you aren't talking genetics but instead management.  A message ag teachers/agents/etc need to put across is that showing steers is not cheap.  You shouldn't even be planning to make a profit.  Feedlots have an almost impossible time doing it right now with big numbers, so unless you have a really heavily supported county sale, the average calf is not going to turn a profit.  An important message to kids should be if you don't have access to funds to feed a calf correctly, you should look at a project requring not as much money.  Our leaders do a pretty good job on that message.  As a whole in our state, you don't see that problem at county or major shows nearly as much as you did 20 years ago.