showboxes

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

which would be best for about 4-5 calves.

sulivans steel showbox-large  http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=30e07bf3-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

sullivans upright dolly box        http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=30e07150-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

showcase boxes                    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=118928ce-b7bf-4f54-80a2-6029c1eab6c3

or blue ribbons              http://www.blueribbonshowsupply.com/showbox_swine_supplies.htm

afhm

I don't like the tall dolly boxes, the get too top heavy and hard to move.  The large Sullivan box is good, but its too big, it won't take long and it will be overloaded and so heavy 4 grown men can't carry it.  I'd go with the smaller dolly box, a medium box or a set of the stackable boxes.  I know several people on the open show road that use a set of the stackables and they haul 5-15 head and get by just fine with the smaller boxes.

pigguy

afhm said:
I don't like the tall dolly boxes, the get too top heavy and hard to move.  The large Sullivan box is good, but its too big, it won't take long and it will be overloaded and so heavy 4 grown men can't carry it.  I'd go with the smaller dolly box, a medium box or a set of the stackable boxes.  I know several people on the open show road that use a set of the stackables and they haul 5-15 head and get by just fine with the smaller boxes.
the people with only 5 head to they use both stackable boxes or what.

also what if a guy put all the heavy stuff in the bottom and then light stuff in the top then would they be top heavy

afhm

Sometime they use both sometimes  they use just one.  Alot of the times they just set them side by side instead of stacking them unless space is empty.  I guess the tall dolly box would not be as top heavy with everything heavy at the bottom, I probably should have said theat unless on perfectly level and smooth terrain it gets very ackward to handle and can tip over easily.  Its just personal preference, but I would never own one of the tall ones unless it was given to me, and then it would stay in the barn and not go to any shows.

DLD

We have a 3' and a 4' regular box from Jobes. Most of the time we just haul the 3' - you can put a surprising amount of stuff in it if you pack it carefully, it's easier to handle and takes up less space in the trailer and at the stalls.If that's not enough, I'd just buy two of 'em (I was about to buy a second 3' when we won the 4'). We also have the wheel set, which we can use under either box or for moving other stuff - I highly recommend that as money well spent.

I'm with afhm, just not a fan of the tall dolly boxes. They can be really awkward to handle, and I don't recommend them if you don't have a ramp on your trailer - if they're packed full of stuff, figure on two stout people to load them with a ramp and three or four without. Plus we have the padded tops on our horizontal boxes, and they make for a good place to sit, play cards or even catch a nap once in awhile.

ROAD WARRIOR

I prefer to haul a couple of smaller boxes instead of the big upright type. They are easier to haul and if you pack them right will hold alot more. I can also haul them in the back of the pickup and not have to gate them off from the cattle. If you only haul a few head of show cattle this is really not an issue but if you are going to haul a bnig string it makes alot of difference. Mine are the 3' models and I also haul a feed mixing box about the same size all in the back of the truck under the nose of the trailer.

NHR

We use a 3' dolly box that has the retractable handle that a fan can be mounted on. We carry 3 to 6 head depending on the show and still have plenty of room in the box. In the bottom we have room for 2 blowers. We mount a fan on the handle while jackpotting and take it off for the bigger shows because of fan placement rules.

chambero

I like the regular (non-dolly) boxes for the very reason of you have somewhere to sit and don't have to worry about them getting knocked over.  We use two mediums instead of a large.  Most of the time at shows now its me, my wife, and two young boys.  I don't want anything too heavy.

pigguy

NHR said:
We use a 3' dolly box that has the retractable handle that a fan can be mounted on. We carry 3 to 6 head depending on the show and still have plenty of room in the box. In the bottom we have room for 2 blowers. We mount a fan on the handle while jackpotting and take it off for the bigger shows because of fan placement rules.
isnt the three foot dolly box the one with a spot to mount a blower??

DLD

The Sullivans 3' dolly box does have the place to mount the blower for use from inside the box. Blue Ribbons doesn't, not sure about any other brands. I'm intrigued with the 3' dolly box, we do alot of blow and show's where we're in and out in like 6 hours, and usually just tie to the trailer. I've considered getting one from Blue Ribbon and mounting the blower on the back, below the fan. I think it's a little bigger than the Sullivans anyway, and especially with the blower outside, would offer more space.