Showing bigger bulls-nosering?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I've never really thought about it but are the bigger type 2 year old bulls reguired to be shown with a nosering. Have two 2000 pound bulls ever got into it in a state fair type situation fighting over a yearling heifer and tore stuff up?  Or do you use a regular halter? Thanks in advance.

Doc

At a lot of fairs , it is mandantory. I believe it was V8's Bonfire bull that got into it a few years ago in the ring with another bull at IL State fair.So it can happen with or without one , but at least with one you're trying to prevent it.

Show Heifer

Any bull over 12 months old is required to have a nose ring (either permenent or removeable) at Iowa State Fair.
Like Doc said, nothing is going to stop a 2 year old bull if they REALLY want to do something, but at least the attempt was made!!

justintime

nose rings are mandatory at most of the shows i am familiar with. Age does vary, but most shows I am familiar with say that a nose ring is mandatory on bulls 12 months of age or older. Most shows don't seem to police it providing a humbug is used at all times, except when a bull is tied in his stall. Personally, I think all bulls over 12 months of age should have a ring. A few years ago I had a super quiet,  puppy dog of a bull turn on me, and ended up putting me through the wall of a shed. This bull had been shown all over North America (Louisville, Denver, Edmonton, Toronto etc) and could be haltered anywhere. I am certain if he had not had a nose ring, I would be dead today, as he really snapped. I was only able to regain some control after I got me fingers in his ring. I still have a hole in my leg, 20 years later to remind me of this event. This bull was shipped to market within 1 hour of this event. There are enough quiet cattle on the planet that I can own so that I don't have to keep an animal I cannot trust.

It was a lesson I will always remember and I always treat bulls with respect, no matter how quiet they are... or seem to be.

justme

OK here's my question....at what age do you usually put the ring in his nose?  First time even thinking about showing an aged bull.  Doesn't he get pretty nasty afterwards?  Silly I know but I hate to change his sweet disposition...

loveRedcows

We generally ring our show bulls at about 1 year.  It's not the most pleasant task but we do it as a safety factor and because most major show reguire some type of nose lead on bulls over 12 mos.  We have never had one turn mean after getting a ring -- of course, if someone insists on pulling on the ring or otherwise irritating the bull he will get headshy, etc.  Good Luck.

aj

I am kinda like justme. I almost hate to mess with them these bulls are just puppie dogs. Is it better to put in permanent rings or just mess with temporary strap deals?JIT you are right though. You catch a bull or a mamma cow on a bad day it can kill you. I once walked in a trailer to get a yearling bull with a broken leg out and.....he bounced me off the top of the trailer for a couple minutes till the vet got his attention. I had glasses broke down the middle and ripped pants and hat and enough adrenaline to take on king kong when I got out of there. I aassume you don't want to wait till show day to mess with a temporary ring anyway.

justintime

I have put lots of rings in bulls noses and have never had one that got worse, in regards to temperament. The only caveat I would put on that statement is that, if you ring a bull..... give him plenty of time to heal  before you start using the ring to control him. You don't put a ring in a few days or even a few weeks before you take him to a show or sale.

Also, make sure you don't have anyplace the bull can hook the ring on something which will strand him.

bcosu

i know of a bull that smashed his own nose ring enough for it to fall out. he wasn't mean, just trying to het the last bit of feed left and crushed the ring. luckily he wasn't mean and never turned on anyone.

ratmama2

We use a removable one. Two weeks before the show we put it in his nose and let him lounge with it ( he is tied up under fans). At our shows 6 months or older have to use them. He is pretty good with it and only gets irritated if you pull on the ring when walking with him. Last year as a yearling he got snorty when the older bull was in the ring with him wanting to fight, Luckily he respects my son and paid more attention to him when he shook the lead. As long as my son didn't pull on his ring to much he acted much like himself.

aj

ratmamma2 thanks. We will probably try that approach. I never thought about it before like in denver where you have all the bulls in the barn like that. If a heifer would come into heat overnight there would be potential for a barn clearing brawl. I'm sure there are some stories out there.

garybob

aj said:
ratmamma2 thanks. We will probably try that approach. I never thought about it before like in denver where you have all the bulls in the barn like that. If a heifer would come into heat overnight there would be potential for a barn clearing brawl. I'm sure there are some stories out there.
Taking any Durham Red bulls to any shows? It'll be interesting to see public response to the introduction of something different.

Howdy,

GB

aj

GB, we are taking a couple durham reds to the colorado state fair,bulls. They will be 2 in Feb 2009. One was with 21 heifers and the other 10 cows. Not really show bulls but slick haired big testicled bulls. We thought we'd get them out there. It's only 4 hours to Colorado Springs. I heard the Kansas State Fair wasn't going to have premium money for shorthorn plus or durham reds but due to demand they are going to have classes of some kind anyway for them. I might send a bull down there with someone else I don't know.  :)

renegade

We have to ring bulls at a year. I have a friend that put a permenant one in his pup of an angus bull (this guy will sit on his butt like a dog in the field) and not long after they got it put in the bull was flinging some hay and hit his ring on hotwire and i guess it sounded like he was dieing

aj

If you put one in 2 weeks before show(permanent) would it make them to sore. I didn't realize it was such a severe process.

farmboy

aj said:
I had glasses broke down the middle and ripped pants and hat and enough adrenaline to take on king kong when I got out of there.

AJ - you just made me squirt tea outta my nose  (clapping)

Latest posts