Showing Cow/calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

8) We will be showing our heifer from last year in the cow calf division this year, would you recommend we feed, work and groom her like we did when we showed her as a heifer? If we do feed her how much should we feed and what kind of feed? I have herd that feeding bred cows makes the calves bigger and problems during birth? any truth to this??? She is an awesome cow I just want her to look her best! thank you!

cowboy_nyk

I show pairs every year.  To be honest, I don't work on them daily like many of you do.  A cow is pretty limited in the amount of hair she'll grow no matter what.  I try to get them rinsed and conditioned a couple times a week leading up to the show.  You're time would be better spent on her calf if you're trying to grow hair.

As for feed, similar to yearlings, 3% body weight is a good place to aim for.  I have two cows on feed for shows this fall and they're working their way up to ~40 lbs of feed daily, on top of grass all day.  As for birth weight, I never have had an issue with calving them although I do usually see a 5-10 lb bump in the show cows' birth weights the following spring.

cowboy_nyk

O and I should say, I don't feed the calves separately.  They'll eat enough to get by and with momma's extra milk production, they'll be in plenty good enough condition.

obie105

Showing pairs is typically from my experience a pain. I would rather wean and feed a calf than feed a cow like the other poster said basically a bag of feed a day.

cowboy_nyk said:
I show pairs every year.  To be honest, I don't work on them daily like many of you do.  A cow is pretty limited in the amount of hair she'll grow no matter what.  I try to get them rinsed and conditioned a couple times a week leading up to the show.  You're time would be better spent on her calf if you're trying to grow hair.

As for feed, similar to yearlings, 3% body weight is a good place to aim for.  I have two cows on feed for shows this fall and they're working their way up to ~40 lbs of feed daily, on top of grass all day.  As for birth weight, I never have had an issue with calving them although I do usually see a 5-10 lb bump in the show cows' birth weights the following spring.

Thank you, she is fat as a tick but has only ever eaten about 15lbs a day of feed + 10lbs of precon/beet pulp. We have her bred to No Worries she is a walks alone x lifeline/Meyer  First pic is a couple months old second was from our fair in January. She is Due Dec. 12.

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 168
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 251

cowboy_nyk

Haha she hasn't calved yet?  Then she certainly doesn't need much feed yet.  I thought you meant she had a calf at side.  I'd ease her feed back even a little more until she calves, then pour it to her post partum.  She's pretty fat (as you said) so a little crash diet wouldn't hurt.

As for showing pairs being a pain - of course it is.  It's more work, but it's pretty satisfying to walk out into the ring with a cow that represents your breeding program showing what she can do.  To me that means far more than taking a calendar year calf out.