Showing Heifers with Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

I grew up showing steers most of the time with the occasional heifer thrown in.  We never showed heifers after their year.

Till now.

My son wants to continue showing his fall 05 heifer this year.  We kicked her out to the pasture back in late May to get her ready for calving.  She should calve sometime between mid-Aug and early Sep.  After a heifer calves, how long do you typically wait before dragging momma and baby out to a show?

What do you typically vaccinate a baby for that is going to be taken to a show?  We always do blackleg (Vision 7) and a respiratory (probably Vista Once on this one), but do you folks ever give anything else?

And does anyone (particularly the few Texas folk on the board) know if anyone would have a fit at a show if I let my 5 year old drag the baby in beside his momma or am I supposed to have an eligible-age kid leading it?

CPL

I showed a cow/calf this summer and the calf was 4 months old, but I've seen WAY younger. As for vaccinations, just the normal ones- 2-3 months- 7-way clostridium, IBR PI3, BVD, BRSV. And for who shows the calf, it depends what she you are at. I've seen 5 year olds brind calves in the ring, but at a 4-H show they have to be a member as well (min. age 8).

afhm

They don't care about the age in Texas, just be sure its safe.  I've seen the cows in a cow/calf pair go crazy in the ring because the calf isn't where theycan see it/ or want it to be since they are in a strange place.  The few pairs we showed, we waiied until the cow had recovered from calving and filled back out some before taking them to a show.

NHR

chambero said:
I grew up showing steers most of the time with the occasional heifer thrown in.  We never showed heifers after their year.

Till now.

My son wants to continue showing his fall 05 heifer this year.  We kicked her out to the pasture back in late May to get her ready for calving.  She should calve sometime between mid-Aug and early Sep.  After a heifer calves, how long do you typically wait before dragging momma and baby out to a show?

What do you typically vaccinate a baby for that is going to be taken to a show?  We always do blackleg (Vision 7) and a respiratory (probably Vista Once on this one), but do you folks ever give anything else?

And does anyone (particularly the few Texas folk on the board) know if anyone would have a fit at a show if I let my 5 year old drag the baby in beside his momma or am I supposed to have an eligible-age kid leading it?

The question about the age of the calf exhibitor depends on the show in Texas. At the majors the exhibitor of the cow and the calf must be in 4H or FFA whichs means 3rd grade and atleast 8 yrs of age. At the jackpots the helper can be just about any age as long as they are under 18. At your county show/fair you will probably have to use someone in 4H or FFA.

Latest posts