Showmanship Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

When using a show halter, i find it hard and mentally hard to keep the chain tight so they don't escape...So, i took a chain snap and snap on the chain at a good tightness and its just big enough to not slide through the hole.

When judging showmanship , would the judge take off for this?

farmboy

I mean its more of a back up cause a few years ago i had one escape that way and kinda ruined me but then i do this now. SRU, i hold the halter at the junction and it seems fine. my steers trained to hold his head up and im about 6 foot so no worrys there. I asked if a judge would frown upon this?

ShowStopper

He/she might or might not. I think it just depends. If they do happen to ask, you could tell them exactly what it is for. I personally hold the chain (a few links down from the junction). How big is the snap?

farmboy

it is 2 and a half inches long and wide enough not to go through the chain hole, right now i have a bronze colred one but am going to get a chrome shiney one to match

DLD

I understand what you're trying to do farmboy. I lost the halter off a heifer in the showring back when I was in school, too - fortunately she was puppy dog gentle and easy to catch. The halter I was using was a little too big, and she just happened to duck her head when there was lots of slack in the chain (the lots of slack was my fault). It really shouldn't be an issue if the halter fits right and you're paying attention, but if you feel the need for insurance, I'd suggest you try and find something like a ring so it'll be a little less noticeable.

farmboy

OK, today i got like a key clip thats silver color and linked it throught the chain and THEN through the ring so it cant move at all so im good