Showmanship questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kailee TheKool

What should I answer "tell me about your project" with? I had a really crappy answer last year but the competition was easy so I still won, but I have no clue what to say this year, idek what I did say last year.
My show is on the morning of 8/9, so if there isn't an answer by the time I leave at 5 am I'll just wing it lol. If anyone sees this after then, I'd still REALLY appreciate an answer for next year or to check the answer I give.

TexasRedsAndShorties

(This is an example) so if the judge said tell me about your heifer/steer I’d say “She’s a May 2023 Out of insert bull name) and (insert cow name) I give her 6 pounds of (insert feed name here) at 5Am along with two flakes of (sudan/coastal hay just what I feed >:3) and then again at 5Pm along with supplements (oh! The judge wants to know what you’re using?!) “The supplements I give are three pounds of (depth charge ) Three pounds of (Ultrafull) and three pounds of (precon) along with two pounds of fitter 52 when I’m afraid she’s getting too overconditioned

ISquaredCattle

So you probably aren't getting this in time but I am going to blab anyway.
When I did 4H judges would ask me this a lot. This breeding heifer is a pretty recent one for me so I will go off of her.
'Tell me about your project.'
'this is a 202__ Charolais Angus cross. She gets blah blah pounds of blah blah feed (say, Purina 4TFyer ) a day which is blah blah percent protein. Her average gain (This is for market steers and maybe heifers) is # pounds per day.'
'What do you like about this cow?'
Going off the picture...
' I think she has a really maternal look and good front end.' (Thats not really what I said but it was something along that Line haha)'
'What would you change about this cow?'
'I would give her a little more spring to her ribs and give her a little more distance from hooks to pins'
Or something like that. Evaluate your cow before hand to give you a little more say. I included the other questions because they ask that all the time in Int. and Sr. Showmanship.
image-10.jpg
Hope that helped. Don't give up and have fun!!!!!!!

Kailee TheKool

HOPE I GOT THIS TO YOU IN TIME!!! 🗣️🗣️🗣️Think about your heifer or steers best attributes when they were born and the feed you feed them if their pedigree is something someone would recognize throw their sire and dam out there as well GOOD LUCK!!!🗣️🗣️🗣️GO GET EM
I managed to see this right before we left late at 5:15 lol
It was VERY helpful, thank you so much for posting!! Of course this just happened to be the year when the judge didn't ask about it, when I actually studied questions before hand 🤦😂
Thank you a ton for the kind words!! I ended up getting second in my showmanship class which brought me to the final senior showmanship drive, where they only placed grand and reserve, so idk how I ended up placing.
Irrelevant to this, I also placed 4/7 with my first steer in quality and 3/4 with my second. The competition was TOUGH all around and I'm quite pleased with how I did in all of my classes, it was basically what I expected with two commercial-bred steers who hadn't been worked for basically the whole year haha
Again, thank you so much!! Every time I got nervous, I just thought of the stranger cheering me on over the internet right before I left 😊

Kailee TheKool

So you probably aren't getting this in time but I am going to blab anyway.
When I did 4H judges would ask me this a lot. This breeding heifer is a pretty recent one for me so I will go off of her.
'Tell me about your project.'
'this is a 202__ Charolais Angus cross. She gets blah blah pounds of blah blah feed (say, Purina 4TFyer ) a day which is blah blah percent protein. Her average gain (This is for market steers and maybe heifers) is # pounds per day.'
'What do you like about this cow?'
Going off the picture...
' I think she has a really maternal look and good front end.' (Thats not really what I said but it was something along that Line haha)'
'What would you change about this cow?'
'I would give her a little more spring to her ribs and give her a little more distance from hooks to pins'
Or something like that. Evaluate your cow before hand to give you a little more say. I included the other questions because they ask that all the time in Int. and Sr. Showmanship.
View attachment 137933
Hope that helped. Don't give up and have fun!!!!!!!
Thank you for this, it was super decriptive! I didn't see this one before I left, but it'll be super helpful for next year (and maybe some jackpots before the next fair)

TexasRedsAndShorties

I managed to see this right before we left late at 5:15 lol
It was VERY helpful, thank you so much for posting!! Of course this just happened to be the year when the judge didn't ask about it, when I actually studied questions before hand 🤦😂
Thank you a ton for the kind words!! I ended up getting second in my showmanship class which brought me to the final senior showmanship drive, where they only placed grand and reserve, so idk how I ended up placing.
Irrelevant to this, I also placed 4/7 with my first steer in quality and 3/4 with my second. The competition was TOUGH all around and I'm quite pleased with how I did in all of my classes, it was basically what I expected with two commercial-bred steers who hadn't been worked for basically the whole year haha
Again, thank you so much!! Every time I got nervous, I just thought of the stranger cheering me on over the internet right before I left 😊
RIGHT ON! And hey don’t worry about your placing thats the fun thing about showing you can never learn enough 🫡 but! congrats on how you did place! I suck at showmanship 😆