showmanship

Help Support Steer Planet:

orwell

Ok for the past three or so shows I have been put in second when most people think I should be at the top becasue I look to serious or that is what I got out of it. What should your facial expression be I just can't figure out.

herefordfootball

You should have a serious look on your face when you take your calf into the ring. Most kids have that "I really dont care" look on their face and that hurts. If the judge gives you champion smile and shake his hand, but other than that you should be serious.

Ruchian

I think that while you do need to look serious, you still have to smile some.  Judges like it when you enjoy what you are doing.  Also, sometimes when you get really serious you kind of stiffen up and don't look natural. 

AAOK

orwell said:
Ok for the past three or so shows I have been put in second when most people think I should be at the top becasue I look to serious or that is what I got out of it. What should your facial expression be I just can't figure out.

My best guess is that the Judges have thought you look like you're working too hard.  Serious is good, but everything you (and the calf) do should appear effortless.  I have often heard Showmanship Judges tell exhibitors to be more relaxed.

I have only once heard a Judge comment,"xyz exhibitor is the best here today, and has a calf that looks perfect all the time, but he/she just makes it look too easy.

chiangus

I think sometimes people think if you are not smiling, you are not enjoying what you are doing.

But, when it comes to competition, I am like you as I only have a serious look.  Try to smile next time to see if that helps.

M-n-M Cattle Company

Be serious when showing, but not stiff. If the judge talks to you or when he touches your calf smile a little, just a little smile goes a long way. And I agree with herfordfootball, if he gives you champion smile and shake his/her hand firmly.

Lazy G

The judge has always told me that you should be enjoying yourself out in the ring. It shouldn't look like you don;t want to be there, so I would say a smile wouldn't hurt.