SHowmanship

Help Support Steer Planet:

PaFFA Proud

I was wondering if there is any sites yall might recommend on showmanship such as articles or even better...video clips. Also any tips or advice  yall would have for a first timer? I would love to hear anything...my first show is in about 2 months. <cowboy>

HF CHARS

Since you are new to showing beef. I would suggest you buy the Kirk Stierwalt videos.  I think there is allot of useful tips for new people, and can help out those who have been doing it a couple years

PaFFA Proud

Ok on that site given in a previous post what kinds of questions would a judge ask a exhibitor about a steer? Also do judges prefer certian clothing over others like would place someone lower cause their wearing hot pink shirt over someone wearing a navy blue shirt. Also how about rhinestone belts and the rhinestone halters off of sullivan's? ??? I know in showing show hunter horses judges would mark you down for ostentatious clothing and equipment. Is it the same in the cattle world? ???

hannahbanana

okay..you know i show in bright colors and due fine! and i show in bling and do fine!  the ask the bday and breed pretty much or what u like and dislike bout ur animal

dutch pride

I know in showing show hunter horses judges would mark you down for ostentatious clothing and equipment. Is it the same in the cattle world? ???

Just remember what you are trying to "show", yourself or your calf. Need to dress neat but not too flashy that it takes focus away from your calf.

DLZ

cornershack

go watch a show not many before easten show but watching others you can pick up a lot. my girls have been grand and res showman with all species. beef several times each daughter. maybe you could arange a visit? PM me

LittleHeifer

You show Horses correct? with horses you choose an outfit that matches or shows off your horse. Well its the same with cattle. Bling doesn't matter. All the grils around here wear big bling Necklaces and bling belts and flashy shirts and I've even seen some bling halters. none of it makes a dif. In showmanship you are showing of your cattle as well as yourself and how the two of you work together.
Little Heifer

creativecattle

Here is a video from Amie Stertzbach and Holly Gamble Meier, both these ladies are amazing showmen and has taught many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDloIORKXI

Personally I think in showmanship bling does matter. I don't want to see rhinestones on your show stick, comb, show halter. It is about the animal not a fashion show.

KCK

I couldn't use a girl in a showmanship contest due to the large amount of bling on her and her heifer. I was raised to let the calf stand out and your ability shines through. Don't get me wrong, a belt is needed, but not a giant blingy one, IMO. And, will bling really be around long enough to warrant spending the money on a show halter that sparkles? I would invest in a nice brown or black one that will last years and years. We have some from 1986 that we still use and are still the same as the new ones.

If you watch the classes before you, you will get a good feel for how the judge deals with appearance. That being said, you can tell a lot about how the certain judge is dressed too. Play it safe nine times out of ten and you will do fine:) Good luck!

SlickTxMaine

And for the guys....remember to shave!!  I commented on another post, about my son's recent experience: Judge commented several times that he could have easily been reserve Showman, but had obviously placed him in third.  Leaving the ring he shook my son's hand and said," You did a great job with your calf, but next time remember to shave"!  My son is blonde headed, and his "stubble" could better be described as "peach fuzz"!  He usually shaves his chin Monday morning for school, and that carries him thru until the following Monday!! 

PaFFA Proud

LittleHeifer said:
You show Horses correct? with horses you choose an outfit that matches or shows off your horse. Well its the same with cattle. Bling doesn't matter. All the grils around here wear big bling Necklaces and bling belts and flashy shirts and I've even seen some bling halters. none of it makes a dif. In showmanship you are showing of your cattle as well as yourself and how the two of you work together.
Little Heifer

I show Hunter horses...english style..jumping..very conservative.. however the western riders get away with color and bling in the show ring

Cornershack Im sending u a PM.

KCK- Im a Sr. showman and they typically make the srs. go first so I wont have a chance to watch classes before mine :/

Thanks for the video it helped

cornershack

if yuou don't already have a halter, which i think this is your last year don't go buy  a brand new one. we have several nice rolled black halters leads already short, etc. i'll make you a deal. i may have a brown flat for the steer. not sure if it is still in the tackroom.

Blue Intentions

Well down here in Arkansas a few of the ag teachers will video tape the finals of senior showmanship and then let their student watch it in class.