Showmanship

Help Support Steer Planet:

Angusboy

This is my first year showing calves, and im gonna go out for showmanship, so does anyone have any tips for me thanks. <cowboy>

FMF

Do you mean showmanship at the National Angus Show, or showmanship in general? I dident know what you meant by 'going out' for it.  ;)

twistedhshowstock

Showmanship is more than just what takes place when you walk into the showring! You have to put in the work at home if you want any chance of being succesful in the ring.
1)Work your animal often, preferably daily, starting well before your first show.  They need to learn to walk calmly beside you regardless of distractions, they need to learn to walk into a set up, this comes from repition of stopping and setting up over and over again. They will eventually learn where you want their feet and will walk right into the set up when they see you turn, switch hands, and go to scratch em. And they need to learn to stand in that set up for extended periods of time.
2)Know your calf!!! Know its birthdate, age, breed, sire, dam.  If showing a heifer know if she is bred/exposed or not and if she is know what bull she is bred to. If showing in a weighed class know the weight. Know how much and what your calf eats daily. If you know the nutrient content of the feed that is a major plus. If your calf has an ear tag, tattoo, or brand then know the information without having to look at it.
3) In the Sr showmanship really any information pertinant to the cattle industry is fair game for questions, especially current hot topics. So right now questions about TH/PHA and other genetic defects are really hot questions to ask. You should also be able to identify the parts of the calves anatomy and you should be very familiar with EPD's and what they are for.
4) Always make sure your shirt is tucked in, you have a belt on, and your shoes are closed toed and leather.  If your calf is haired then you should always have a scotch comb in your pocket (p.s. if a judge pets or rubs on your calf while he is talking to you or if he comes up and handles your steer during the showmanship, they arent doing it just to keep their hands busy or because they think your calf is looking good, they are generally waiting to see if your going to pull out your comb and fix the hair the messed up after they walk away)
5)Have a good understanding of the pros and cons of your calf, if a judge asks you something you like about your calf or would change about your calf then give them an accurate, honest answer. (example...I was judging a showmanship and one of the girl's doing the best job presenting their animal had this just massively volumed and super thick heifer that was really coarse fronted and post legged, when I asked what she would change she told me that she would like to power the heifer up just a bit because she was to narrow. Showed me that she had not paid attention to what was truly good and bad about her calf)
6)When in the show ring be cool, calm and confident...have confidence in your answers and in your ability, and show that confidence. Dont let yourself get rushed, remember all your moves should be purposeful, smooth, and calm.  Dont lose your cool, if your calf is not cooperating dont get upset, just remain calm and do your best, showing your frustration is a pretty good way to get yourself knocked in the placings.
7) Study the good exhibitors, but dont just mimick them. Know the purpose and reasoning behind what they do.
The best thing is practice, observe, and participate as much as possible, if you do that you will ultimately be a successful showman.

AAOK

FMF said:
twistedshowstock pretty much covered it all, but I also really like this article  ;D

http://www.angusjournal.com/articlePDF/ShowmanshipHome_0506.pdf

I agree with twistedshowstock, and the article is the icing on the cake.  However, I feel the need to point out one line in the article that needs to be reinforced.

Viator says everyone should have his or
her own style, but it should be smooth and
unnoticeable. The key is to not draw
attention to yourself.
Viator advises juniors to stand up straight
and don’t lean over.“Relax and show,” she
adds.“If it’s uncomfortable to you, it’s
uncomfortable to me, but don’t get too
relaxed.”

I have witnessed several times the Best Showman by Far not getting into even the final drive because a Judge believed they "made it look too easy".  So, NEVER GET TOO RELAXED!

Simmgal

Everyone has put in great ideas!  (clapping) Just be ready, because every judge is different. For example a judge placed a kid in first place over me in the final drive becasue his heifer was giving him a harder time and misbehaving while mine was standing still. Other judges like to see cattle that are still and calm. It just depends :) Also, it is a good idea to listen to the judge's reasons if they are given. Don't get discouraged, because it takes lots of time and practice...and parience!

twistedhshowstock

Simmgal said:
Everyone has put in great ideas!  (clapping) Just be ready, because every judge is different. For example a judge placed a kid in first place over me in the final drive becasue his heifer was giving him a harder time and misbehaving while mine was standing still. Other judges like to see cattle that are still and calm. It just depends :) Also, it is a good idea to listen to the judge's reasons if they are given. Don't get discouraged, because it takes lots of time and practice...and parience!
I highly doubt the reason he was placed above you was that his heifer was giving him a hard time while yours stood still.  All judges want to see the cattle still and calm, yet we all also know that sometimes a calf just has a bad day or maybe got spooked or something.  That young man didnt place ahead of you because his heifer was giving him a harder time, he placed above you because of how he handled the situation.  It all goes back to staying cool calm and collected.  As Cheramie said in that article, you have to remember that sometimes its better for one to be close than perfect.

Simmgal

twistedhshowstock said:
Simmgal said:
Everyone has put in great ideas!  (clapping) Just be ready, because every judge is different. For example a judge placed a kid in first place over me in the final drive becasue his heifer was giving him a harder time and misbehaving while mine was standing still. Other judges like to see cattle that are still and calm. It just depends :) Also, it is a good idea to listen to the judge's reasons if they are given. Don't get discouraged, because it takes lots of time and practice...and parience!
I highly doubt the reason he was placed above you was that his heifer was giving him a hard time while yours stood still.  All judges want to see the cattle still and calm, yet we all also know that sometimes a calf just has a bad day or maybe got spooked or something.  That young man didnt place ahead of you because his heifer was giving him a harder time, he placed above you because of how he handled the situation.  It all goes back to staying cool calm and collected.  As Cheramie said in that article, you have to remember that sometimes its better for one to be close than perfect.
We all found it strange. She said that she could tell that my calf had been worked with more and she liked how I could walk her into her show stance. It took her 45 mins or more to decide, and she had us switched in the prelims. She ended up saying that she liked how his calf was giving him a workout. Didn't say anything about how he handled the situation! She wasn't running away or anything, just wasn't wanting to walk and would move her feet when standing still. She said that another judge would like to see a calf standing still, but she liked how his was moving and making him work. He really didn't have to be calm or anything about it.  It was just surprising, because it went against everything I have heard! I'll see kids who have heifers that misbehave place good, but not win the whole senior show. It was a county fair though...haha!I'm not trying to come across as bitter about it, becasue I am not! I was just using that as an example to listen to what the judge has to say, because they are all different! At the end of the day, its about what you take away from the experience!  ;D

Pipeliner

Something that puzzles me about people that judge showmanship is why ask all the questions? Other then knowing the birthdate of your calf and it's weight have you ever in a confirmation class at a show been asked what the animals breeding is or what you would change about it? I think knowing how your animal looks best set up is more important then that. Whether it needs to be set up more square or scissored more, if it looks best stretched slightly or set up with it's feet underneath it more. If you get your animal in a hole either behind another animal in the class or have it's fronts in a hole in a ring with uneven ground. How high to hold it's head before it's back start looking like an old saddle horses. To me the showman that can get his animal set up fast and smooth and looking it's absolute best is the one that should win. 98% of the time you never talk to the judge in the ring. So why determine a showmanship class on skill testing questions?

twistedhshowstock

There are many reasons for the questions. 1) The purpose of the Jr Show Project is for the exhibitors to not only learn how to exhibit their projects, but to learn about the cattle industry and raising cattle in general. The questions we ask encourage the kids to learn more than just how to lead a calf around the show ring.  2) When you get to bigger shows, there may be numerous exhibitors in one class that are excellent showman and really cant be broken on their performance, sometimes the questions give us something to break them on.
Plus we all say showmanship is more than what you do in the ring, its what happens at home.  An exhibitor who really does the work at home should have a basic understanding, where as some of the more privileged showman who never see their calf until they meet it at the show ring gate may know nothing.  Basically it allows to tell out of all those good showman, which ones actually care enough about their projects and the industry to learn about it.

P.S. Just a side note for SimmyMan...NEVER wear a baseball cap in Showmanship when I am judging...lol...couldnt resist it man :eek: other than that you did excellent though!!!

vc

Couple things I have picked up watching my kids show:
Work with the animal at home, so it knows what you want from it in the ring.
Make sure it is used to the show halter before you go into the ring the first time (The chain on the halter can bother some calves) if it does wrap the chain with vet wrap. (match the halter)
The least amount you need to mess with positioning the calf, the better the calf will be (close is good enough)
Watch the classes before you, know what is expected of you in the ring, pay attention to what is going on in the ring.
Use the whole ring, do not cut corners.
If a calf is pulled from the position in front of you fill that space (If the exhibitor is re- positioning their animal do not fill the space, only when the judge has pulled them)
Do not get stopped in a corner, if you see that you are going to end up in the corner stop just before you get there.
Leave room between you and the calf in front or next to you, this helps you and the other exhibitors, nothing worse than stopping with your animals nose right behind the animal in front of you or the person behind you doing that to you.

If your market class is before your showmanship class, listen to the reasons the judge gives for placing your animal where they did. This is usually one of the questions they will ask you in show manship (What would you change about your animal or What is one of the things you like about your animal?) If you listened to the reasons in market, you should be able to get the answer from the judges reasons.

If you stay calm the animal t4tends to stay calmer, your first time showing, try your best and learn from the experience.

The Show

Twistedhshowstock pretty much hit the nail on the head.

One of my biggest pet peeve's is seeing someone hold their show halter on the leather(Cut the leather lead down to size. I HATE seeing an exhibitor drag a bunch of slack around the ring) where their hand is a foot above the calf's head. Hold the chain right up next to the cheek of the calf. This allows you to blend in more, and it gives you better control of your animal. Also know where your animals head is and needs to be in relation to the judge. If he's behind you, you want it straight in line with the calf's spine, but on the profile some calves look better with their heads slightly turned in or pushed out. Nothing noticeable, but that little bit can make a difference. I'm assuming your a guy by your username so I don't think I should have to tell you, but don't get carried away with bling. Your showing the calf, not yourself.

wyatt

this year at our fair there is always the two kids that win everything then after that no one stands a chance to win judging or showmanship but the last two years herfords! took grand and reserve not them kinda made me laugh but for showmanship my steer was a pain he got away twice on me i walked over grabbed the halter set him up at the end of the line at the end the judge told me i worked hard and he liked how i handled my steer we came back in for the final for my age group and of coarse the kid that always wins is in it to so i did my best the judge scrambled us up had us switch calves and as soon as the girl grabbed my steer it took off i felt so bad but couldn't help but laugh my steer was riding other steers to and i ended up placing 1st with my Friends steer haha i felt so bad for that girl  (clapping) ps the kid that always wins got 2nd :D

Pipeliner

I can see the side of asking kids questions. I don't agree with asking all of them nor do I agree with a judge asking you to switch animals.  But I do things others won't agree with either. That's the cool thing about cattle shows and agriculture in general, we can agree to disagree,  sit down be friends and have a beer over it. Haha

The Show

I don't either. If it comes down to two(or more) really good showmen I like questions though. It shows you who is really doing the work.  <beer>

wyatt

i agree with the judges having kids switch calves it shows how the kids react to a calf they dont know and also if one of the better showman have a calf that is not acting good it gives them a 2nd chance to show a better calf

kyfarmgirl10

If the calf acts fine for its original showmen and then blows up when another showmen grabs ahold that shows how much that calf has been worked with since it is a single person calf, however if the showmens calf is blowing up the whole time then i think they should be discounted nothing rubs an exhibitor the wrong way when they have to switch calves and get a calf that never should've been in a showmanship class to begin with