Showmanship

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kailee TheKool

Can someone explain to me what we're looking for in showmanship? At our county fair, it usually is based on who is handling their animal enough and who is being a good showman- at a jackpot I went to over the weekend (only my first so it might've been a fluke) it was definitely based on whose calf was behaving the best. The judge didn't even ask questions, stop to talk or touch the calf. Only thing he said to me besides telling me placing and what I should work on (not very helpful tbh) was while he was quickly walking past, asked how much the steer weighed. No hello or good morning, not even stopping to ask, just a fly-by. I don't want to sound like a sore loser, but I got last place because the steer wasn't cooperating (he wouldn't walk because there were kids running through the ring in front of him). The judge said I clearly haven't worked this steer before and frankly I am a little pissed about that. There were other showmen in the class who had no clue what they were doing, but because their calves were well-behaved, they got placed ahead of me. Am I missing something? Have I just gotten lucky with my county fair judges having similar values in showmen and showmanship as me?

ISquaredCattle

The only thing I can think of would be if he thought you got frustrated. But there is always going to be that judge that pisses you off - just life

Kailee TheKool

The only thing I can think of would be if he thought you got frustrated. But there is always going to be that judge that pisses you off - just life
That would make sense... I don't think I was annoyed with the steer but then again pictures from last year's fair showed me looking like I was about to kill someone and I thought I looked pleasant 😂🤷🏻