Sick calf question

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

It's needless to say, but if they are going to keep dealing with bottle calves, they are going to have to have some advice. If they are going to wean as early as possible they will need to make sure that the calf is use to eating an appropriate calf starter & have fresh water daily. They'll either need to build a creep area or feed it by hand daily. A small amount of hay in a creep area would be smart I would think also B/C I doubt that the pasture has an over abundance of growth.
  This particular calf will not benefit from any hay right now. It needs the highest concentration of energy that it can get from each feeding. I don't know for sure, but I would think that 1 feeding per day should be electrolytes if not 3 or 4 feedings. Again multiple feedings of lesser amounts will be better than twice per day feedings with larger amounts IMO.

kanshow

I'd consider getting a vet out to run some IV fluids in the little guy too..      Otherwise..  we went thru a saga over the last couple years with our neighbor and their starving horses.  Makes me sick.. 

lightnin4

I've raised lots of bottle calves. Even the best ones are a pain!  My dad used to buy them by the dozens when I was in high school and college.  I think we had 30 or so at one time once or twice.  I've got one in the barn now.  I think he was a twin (never found the other one--coyotes?).  He was only 40 lbs when I found him and had apparently not nursed at around 15 hrs old.  For a few days he had a strong will to die, but I "convinced" him to live.  At almost 30 days old, he's doing pretty good now. 

As far as getting yours back going--keep on doing what your doing. Until he gains some strength back, smaller more frequent feedings are the way to go.  Make sure he is standing or at least sitting up on his chest when he nurses.  Keep on with the probiotic daily.  I used Vita Charge boluses with mine when I ran out of Probios paste.  I just opened the capsule and filled the small end, then poured that into the milk once a day.  Just be sure to shake the bottle some when the calf is nursing since the Vita Charge won't dissolve so it doesn't just settle out.  For the first couple of weeks my calf acted really weak and lethargic, so he got a shot of B12 every 3-4 days.  A dose of dewormer might be a good idea too.  Best of luck!

DL

firesweepranch said:
DL, I was hoping you would chime in (but wished for a little more advice). I am trying to convince said neighbors to get rid of the cows and just buy feeders in the spring and sell in the fall (to manage grass), that way there is no care needed (or minimal care). They use the 13 cows and bull as a tax right off, so they could do the same with feeders...
How long do dairy bottle calves have to have milk for? It has been so long since I was on a dairy, and I was on the cow side not the calf side. I have never raised a bottle calf, so I am clueless but I do not that a baby of any mammalian species needs more than just grass at 60 days of age. The guy that sold them the calf said to put him on a bottle for 60 days, is that normal?

Sent you a PM

We have a starved calf that wants to live and owners who either from ignorance, lack of caring, stupidity or whatever are allowing him to starve to death - that is animal neglect and borders on abuse

IMHO this is a situation where you (generic) have one of 2 choices
1. euthanize the calf and prevent further suffering
2. if you are going to try to save the calf it is a full blown effort - not a half a**ed effort - contact a veterinarian- assess the health of the calf - determine what exactly are the calf's problems besides starvation?? - is it dehydrated? does it have a GI infection?? is it anemic - is that related to the starvation or parasites? do the kidneys and liver function normally or are we prolonging the calf's suffering by continuing to treat it??

Identify what vitamins and minerals in addition to calories are deficient and supplement them as needed. Determine maintenance calorie requirements and what are the additional calorie requirement for growth - feed the calf a high quality milk replacer and calf starter. Provide good quality hay and mineral tub.

If the owners are unwilling to do this then the calf should be euthanized. Prolonging the calf's suffering because they are unwilling to either spend money on the calf or euthanize the calf is pretty much unacceptable in my book. Here is clearly a case of neglect - if it continues it is abuse - you firesweep are between a rock and a hard place

and to aj's point - a necropsy can identify starvation (serous atrophy of fat) and the findings can be used in a court of law to prove the animal was starved to death

aj

In the court of law you need the necropsy. A vets opinion is not good enough. You can have photos of dead cattle. You can have 15 neighbors testify and its not real impressive cause the courts love experts. If there is a problem in your area I don't think it hurts to do an official phone call to the sheriffs. Again if its not done to the law inforcement office its not official....not on record. This type stuff needs stopped to not hurt the beef industry in general. In some ways if wildlife dies because its mother was killed in my opinion that is a mother nature deal. Coyotes rip the heads off kitty cats and rabbits everyday. But if you pen something up and prevent it from having a fighting chance....to me that is a cowardly act.

r2scott

The other cattle could still look good but a calf that age can not get enough out of grass alone.  Unless it is really good soft grass and we have not had any of that in months around here.  lol  If you have stopped the scours you should be ok.  The bottle after not giving him one for a while caused the scours.  I have had a few calves be find in the morning and a few hours later not able to stand.  They acted like the were drunk and i would give them thimin? not sure on spelling and they would be up in a hour runnign around. good luck

DLB

Wow!!  This is a sad situation.  Even if these folks were hoping it would "buddy up"-look at how tiny he is.  There is no way he's going to be able to run with cows over 25acres.  If your plans were to do as last years, lock him in the lot with a cow.  Give him a fighting chance at least.  Animal cruelty is 1 thing that just pi$$es me off.  My parents raised me to think-if you are going to own an animal, you need to feed it properly, and if you can't then you don't need it. I went through the horrific drought here in South Central Texas last year.....I bought hay and grain for my cattle.  That's 1 thing I could not tolerate...when I walk through my pasture and check on my girls, I don't want to see poorly fed cattle.  If I lived near these folks, I'd volunteer to take that little guy off their hands and get him well.  Like stated before, people like that give cattle raisers a bad name. 

firesweepranch

Well, the little guy is doing MUCH better! He got up last night after eating his bottle and just stood there looking at us like "wow!". This morning he got up to eat, walked around his pen a few times, then laid back down. I bought him some dairy calf grain, and he is eating a little of that, but still on several bottles a day to keep him going. He is much improved, thanks to the help of others. I think the neighbors have learned their lesson, since they have said they do not want to do another bottle project.
Smart thinking in my opinion, I will keep a close eye on this guy still, over there at least twice a day to make sure he continues to gain strength and get better...

lowann

firesweepranch said:
Well, the little guy is doing MUCH better! He got up last night after eating his bottle and just stood there looking at us like "wow!". This morning he got up to eat, walked around his pen a few times, then laid back down. I bought him some dairy calf grain, and he is eating a little of that, but still on several bottles a day to keep him going. He is much improved, thanks to the help of others. I think the neighbors have learned their lesson, since they have said they do not want to do another bottle project.
Smart thinking in my opinion, I will keep a close eye on this guy still, over there at least twice a day to make sure he continues to gain strength and get better...

FSR you have earned a star in Heaven!! It sounds like there is hope for the poor little calf.
There is nothing I can not stand anymore than an innocent being starved/ neglected.

DLB

(clapping) <party> <rock> <beer>
WOOOHOOO!!!  Glad to hear the little fella is on the up-swing!

Heifer Girl

I am going to say starvation and animal abuse! Those people should honestly not own cattle. I have never seen a cow just adopt a completely strange calf before. They make the rest of use cattle breeder look bad.