SimAngus Females

Help Support Steer Planet:

klintdog

I have a lead on some really nice SimAngus open heifers. My thoughts right now are to pick up 5 of them, feed them over the winter, and then breed them this spring for some clubbie calves. We run a herd of registered Gelbvieh cows, so this would be something on the side to play with. Here is where my moral conundrum begins. Let me know what you would do:

Do you purchase 5 registered SimAngus females to start a small clubby herd, or 5 recip cows to expand your purebred herd?
What is a reasonable price to pay for an open SimAngus heifer if you could walk into a herd and pick any 5?
What is the probability you would get anything special for a first calf out of the SimAngus females?
Long term, which would really make you more money, the SimAngus or the recips for the purebred herd?

showsteerdlux

Ok. First off you can never beat a good SimAngus in my book. If you want club calves there good and if you want feedlot cattle they are good. As far as heifers, i'd say that there is a high chance that you could get some more good replacement females out of them for there 1st calf if you bred them to say an Angus Bull or something like Gigolo Joe or Majors Money man, with sexed SAV Final Answer semen comes to mind if you definitely want good females that are light but grow for the 1st calf , and the go for the home run on the 2nd calf. Diversity within the cattle industry pays so i'd say adding these heifers instead of recips for purebreds would help you out. Do you know the genetics on the heifers? What color are they? Have you seen their mommas? Do you know weaning weight? these are all questions I would consider before buying them.
As far as price just walking in and choosing I would say depending on weight and genetics, somewhere between 1-1500 is probably pretty fair if they are commercial females maybe a little higher for registered.
In case you can't already tell I'd be willing to guess that the SimAngus females will make you more in the long run that just recips for the purebred herd of Gelbviehs

klintdog

I do know the backgrounds on teh calves. Out of the 25 heifers I can choose from, almost all are from Simmental cows and OCC Emblazon for the sire. BW are averaging around 80 pounds with WW between 600 and 650.

vet tech

I believe that if we could do everything over I would purchase a couple of recip cattle and buy some real good embryos to put in them. Keep or sell the calves, but right off the bat you have a good chance of having some real nice calves. Just an option. ;),

klintdog

I'm running 50 head of registered Gelbvieh right now. I'm looking at flushing a cows this fall that has averaged $6,000 on her calves to this point. I do like the point about diversifying a bit though too.

kanshow

IMO, you can't go wrong with some SimAngus cows.    You can't beat 'em as recips - if that is how you want to use them.    Otherwise, If they are the right kind & sounds like they might be, they'll raise good calves with whatever bull you choose.    You could breed them back Simm for some PB  or go with any other breed. 

showsteerdlux

klintdog said:
I do know the backgrounds on teh calves. Out of the 25 heifers I can choose from, almost all are from Simmental cows and OCC Emblazon for the sire. BW are averaging around 80 pounds with WW between 600 and 650.
I wouldn't be blinking before I'd be out in that pasture picking them out. I mean always remember that you can use half of them for embryo's and half for club calves after there 1st calf and seeing what they look like and what the calves are. i would say though if you get heifers probably keep them for replacements and alternate and calving ease simmentals and angus on the replacements every year for the 1st calvers.
I'd still personally go with breeding them to a good calving ease bull their 1st round then maybe hitting them all with Sunseeker or HW/son for that 2nd calf. Any idea on what the price is yet? O and on Mytty In Focus there is a guy that lives near where I go to school, picked up about 10 heifers bred to Mytty In Focus, he weaned the calves at 205 and didn't have a single calf weigh in below 725 and the calves were pretty durn good.

OH Breeder

I started using SImmi's about 5 years ago for a base on my club cows. It has really helped us today with what we have. Why not do both. Buy the heifers breed them calving ease and then evaluate their calves. Buy some embryo's put them on ice. The one's that raise a calf and come back in readily but just maybe do'nt raise one stout enough put an egg in her. My simmi females have delivered every time. I cross them with my shorthorns and have gotten some pretty cool shorthorn plus females. Embryo's are  way to jump start any herd. You can build a herd quicker in my experience by buying up or getting better genetics in eggs. There is a cost associated with Eggs as well. I would sit down and crunch the numbers. We currently do both. Couple eggs every year and 10 or so natural calves.
What are the Simmi blood lines?