Simmental Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

cdncowboy

stithka,  I wouldn't recommend Hustler,  used a little of him and while the calves were okay, they weren't really clubby types.  They are just a little on the plain side, not that great for hair and they were a little dirty fronted, good feeder types just not that showy.  Now I've had a few Built Rights and have been impressed enough to use him a little more.  Good haired, correct, good fronted and while I'm far from an expert on simmi pedigrees, I've been told there are some good maternal genetics behind him.

TMJ Show Cattle

You said you wanted to make "Club Calf" momma's,is that correct? Although some of the aforementioned bulls might work,here is a list of "proven" genetics that HAVE worked..... Picasso,  Aftershock,Carrousel 8 Meyer,Maximus and of course Meyer 734. These are tried and proven genetics for making "CLUB CALF" momma's. I'm not saying any of the other bulls mentioned won't do the same. I like 3C Macho as well as anyone. However he sometimes throws BIG jointed cattle that lack volume. There are exceptions to every rule of course. The bulls I have mentioned have PROVEN themselves many times over.Some of the young bulls that were mentioned here have great potential,some of them haven't been around long enough to prove they're worth as "CLUB CALF" MOMMA producers.

bwl1101

We've had good luck with Maximus on better angus cows, they are a little light on the front end, Also trying some Dream On this year ? IDK i've heard mixed reactions on Star Power also?

BIGTEX

The lady who does my A.I. work has a Purebred Simmental operation and she has a lot of Dream On cows and a few Meyers 734. You can pick out the 734s' because they have no butt. I would think Dream On would work great with a low BW crossed w/ Angus then go clubby. The low BW might help offset some of the high BW clubby bulls.

Jill

I'm not a Simmi deal and don't know who to suggest, but from what we have had and what I have heard I would NOT consider Star Power.

Simnetix

P-F said:
Meyers Climax had 3 bull calves all suck.  Heifers could be good didn't get any :mad:

I am soooo tierd of using bull that only work one way. 

JMHO

P-F

Sure wish your experience was better, although I'd have to say I'm surprised, as of now I have the 3 best bull calves I'd raised and all are Climax babies.  I used him as you did, to make females, but am pleasantly surprised by the bull calves.  I do have one out of a recip quality angus cow that could be stouter, but the rest have much more muscle than Meyer's did and are more comparable to Maximus bull's.  I will try to post pics when things firm up a bit.  Females look great. 

Thanks

fieldscattle

Another bull that you might want to consider is Sheriff Taylor.  I dont know if there are many calves out there but we are giving him a try.  He is out of an extremely good half blood and Macho.  We judt have one new baby so far looks promising,

olsun

I heard some very promising reports on Rendition over the weekend. Came from a young man who should know. Has me interested at least.

stithka

Chap said:
my bit of shameless self promotion.  Try CNS Exclusive R511.  Baldy bull out of Headliner on the Perfection cow.  Works really good on mature angus cows that need bone and hair with look.  First pic is the bull. 2nd pic is a January daughter out of a plain angus cow.

do you know what the frame score is on Exclusive?

Chap

I haven't measured Exclusive, but I would guess him at a 6.5 frame.  He is 4 yrs old now and we just had him semen checked and he weighed 2400 lb in good turnout condition (not fat).  Calves will have pretty explosive early grow and push hard to a year.  i think he may have been a 6.7-6.8 frame at a year. 

inthebarnagain

Ruby CC said:
I hate to do a lot of self promotion, but we have had several calves out of our bull, The Foreman, and the calves out of our PB Angus cows look real good.  Expect more bone, more hair, and more look than many conventional Simmental bulls.  Also, he is working very well with the PB cows.  Got one out of a Dream On cow; I think that mating will work! ;) Semen available from owners, Cattle Visions, Stepping Stone, and Midwest.  We just took him back to Nichols yesterday so if you are making the rounds checking out the bulls, be sure to look him up.  Don't want to sound overbearing, but the calves look good!  Hopefully have a baby pic or two up soon as the weather cooperates. 

I would love to see some calf pictures.  he is one we were considering for AI but haven't seen any babies so didn't want to try an unknown.  What frame score is he?