Simmental Cross?

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerkid21

I have some angus cows that we are looking to AI this spring and I was interested in maybe using some simmental.  The cows are mostly angus and i was wondering what bulls i should breed them to to make some club calf producing babies.  Also have some heifers with angus and a little maine in them.  Also wondering who or what to breed them to to just produce some very good babies.  Any advice would help greatly. Thanks!!!!

kfacres

Simmgal said:
I have heard that GWS/SCF Rendition and Flying B Cut Above work well on Angus cows.

Rendition http://www.bovine-elite.com/simmepd2.asp?idProduct=3317
Cut Above http://universalsemensales.com/detail_simmental.php?simmental_id=256

There are many more, but I have heard the most about those two for Angus.
I'm having a more and more positive influence on this board every day..

DITTO THAT FOR RENDITION-- especially to get some hidden color for potential club calf production under the quality...

Simmgal

Cut the BS said:
I'm having a more and more positive influence on this board every day..

DITTO THAT FOR RENDITION-- especially to get some hidden color for potential club calf production under the quality...
^^^ Jody is the main one who filled me in on Rendition!  Haha <party>

ALTSIMMY 79

Hmmm , I have a feeling there is a heaping pile of people out there that would say Meyer 734 x Angus including myself. But since that would cost a fortune I'm going to say 3C Macho x Angus. Or a few other Meyer Sons out there. Proof is out there , everywhere ! 

kfacres

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
Hmmm , I have a feeling there is a heaping pile of people out there that would say Meyer 734 x Angus including myself. But since that would cost a fortune I'm going to say 3C Macho x Angus. Or a few other Meyer Sons out there. Proof is out there , everywhere !   

<deadhorse>

i strive to be different.

;) <rock>

Brian04

i would not reccomend Cut Above  AKA Fat Butt  unless you want some calves with lots of white on them........been hearing of some calves that are marked like a holstein pattern lots of white  if i had to guess he has a spotting gene but not sure bout it also calves seem to be lil bigger then calvig ease on hfrs

Gargan

Brian04 said:
i would not reccomend Cut Above  AKA Fat Butt  unless you want some calves with lots of white on them........been hearing of some calves that are marked like a holstein pattern lots of white  if i had to guess he has a spotting gene but not sure bout it also calves seem to be lil bigger then calvig ease on hfrs

thats not a bad thing in the clubby industry.. color and chrome sell club calfs IMO

kfacres

Gargan said:
Brian04 said:

thats not a bad thing in the clubby industry.. color and chrome sell club calfs IMO
mine 2.. and IMO ever more so into the future... 

Ausley Family Farms

Climax is working good for us. Really like the heifer calves we have had so far out of our Angus cows. Ordered 2 racks of him the other day. Going to breed all of our Angus this spring to him.

ALTSIMMY 79

Cut the BS said:
ALTSIMMY 79 said:

<deadhorse>

;) <rock>
Oh yes you do , we are all well aware of that ! Im not ruling out your favorite Rendition , but i havent seen a group of calves out of him and straight angus cows anywhere yet ! Somebody needs to get on it and show us !!!

kfacres

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
Cut the BS said:
ALTSIMMY 79 said:

<deadhorse>

;) <rock>
Oh yes you do , we are all well aware of that ! Im not ruling out your favorite Rendition , but i havent seen a group of calves out of him and straight angus cows anywhere yet ! Somebody needs to get on it and show us !!!

find someone to supply me the Angus cows-- and i'll supply the semen...  partners?

LostFarmer

Any of the whiplash siblings.  There are several.  Backlash, Tool, Real Deal are all available.  Meyer sons. 

Simmgal

Brian04 said:
As many have said, Chrome sells. I do beleive that the color will come more from the Simmental side, so if he is mated with purebred balck Angus cows, he should throw only minimal white. Even if there is a spotting chance.

I find it interesting that calving ease is considered a problem with Cut Above when we are talking about the clubby business, and especially compared to some other bulls mentioned. He has been used on heifers with some success.  Macho's calving ease is -2.0, with birthweight at 2.8, while Meyer's CE is -8.5 / BW:1.7. I would honestly feel better using Cut Above or Rendition, especially when looking at birthweights, calving ease and chrome.

Cut above: CE:5.1 / BW:1.4
Rendition: CE: 4.7 / BW: 0.8

Meyer is proven to work good on Angus cattle for Clubby situations, but I feel that any of the bulls mentioned would be just as good. Even though EPD's will be debated, I am not sure how much the breeder will worry about them if he/she is interested in creating clubby animals in the long run. If you are looking for calving ease, BMR Explorer has been known to make calves that are very showy looking and that have good hair. Either way, good luck to everyone!

kfacres

Simmgal said:
Brian04 said:
As many have said, Chrome sells. I do beleive that the color will come more from the Simmental side, so if he is mated with purebred balck Angus cows, he should throw only minimal white. Even if there is a spotting chance.

I find it interesting that calving ease is considered a problem with Cut Above when we are talking about the clubby business, and especially compared to some other bulls mentioned. He has been used on heifers with some success.  Macho's calving ease is -2.0, with birthweight at 2.8, while Meyer's CE is -8.5 / BW:1.7. I would honestly feel better using Cut Above or Rendition, especially when looking at birthweights, calving ease and chrome.

Cut above: CE:5.1 / BW:1.4
Rendition: CE: 4.7 / BW: 0.8

Meyer is proven to work good on Angus cattle for Clubby situations, but I feel that any of the bulls mentioned would be just as good. Even though EPD's will be debated, I am not sure how much the breeder will worry about them if he/she is interested in creating clubby animals in the long run. If you are looking for calving ease, BMR Explorer has been known to make calves that are very showy looking and that have good hair. Either way, good luck to everyone!
you are getting the hang of it...  x2

CAB

Gargan said:
Brian04 said:

That sure depends on what part of the world you are dealing in. I don't really like chromed up calves & can say that not many do all that well here in Iowa. I will though that I have seen some chromed up calves bring good money B/C in my opinion they were colored up. It was also my thought that they bought too much money B/C they were chromed up & "cute". JMO.

LDT

I would first say I don't know anything about the steer thing but based on the bull pens I have seen around here, TNT Gunner......himself or sons...go for it.

leanbeef

Brian04 said:

Most of the baldy and blaze faced bulls are going to be spot gene carriers; that gene is recessive, and since Angus don't carry a spot gene, you won't get spotted calves or much chrome with the first cross...maybe a white foot or tail. And the only chance of making baldies if you want baldies is using a bull with some white on his face. If you come back on any heifers you keep with another spot carrier, that's when you'll get more "chrome"...probably not a bad thing if the calf is good enough to show...not good if you're going to the sale barn with him.

I do have some Renditions out of Angus cows, and I do like them. I'll try to get some pics on here in the next few days... two heifers are solid black... bull and steer are blaze faced.

hardenblu2

All of the bulls above are above average, has anyone seen any real showy calves out of cut above, I ask because our semen salesman told us this month, that his sales have slowed do to his lack of show calves this year? Two other questions how is the attitude of the climax calves, has anyone used Myer beauty yet and if so what are the first thoughts?