Simmental Registration Requirements

Help Support Steer Planet:

BABYTEX

Okay, please be nice to me.  My sister and I are trying to complete our 4-H registration papers for our animals at this years state and county fair and after reviewing our info on a cow/calf pair we have we just realized that we think the cow could have been a registered Simmental.  The Dam is a Registered Simmental and the Sire is a registered Chimaine.  I was thinking that the cow could be a Foundation Simmental.  I was trying to research this on the Simmental Association webpage and it appeared to me that this cow could be registered.  Am I correct?  Could the calf that was just born be registered as well.  I know I am real late on this registration but I think this would be to my advantage to registar.  Please dont laugh at my question as I am new to some of this registration.  I have done many pigs in the past and have helped my parents with Maine and Chianina registration but not familiar with Simmental.

The Show

If I understand you right the cow is out of a PB Simmi and a reg. Chimaine.  If that's the case then the cow could be registered as a half blood. I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure there's late fee if you try to register the cow this late. What did you breed the cow to? If the sire of the calf has any simmi in it you should be able to register the calf as a % simmi. Hope this helps!

BABYTEX

Thanks for the comment.  Yes she is out of a registered Simmental.  I need to do a little research on the Sire though as I am not sure if their is Simmental or not.  I wish my sister and I would have thought about this before or we would have used something with a little more Simmental but I do believe the bull has some Simmi in him but may need to research this.  Thanks for the info.

GONEWEST

If the calf is sired by a Chi Maine bull, that bull has to be registered with the association in order to register the calf no matter the % of Simmental in the dam or even if she is already registered. Good luck on getting that done unless you own the bull and can get him tested for every known Angus, Shorthorn, and Maine defect known to man.

BABYTEX

Gonewest, thanks for the info. We did some checking with the Simmental Association and the bull is registered with the Simmental Association.  The Sire was Habegers Texas Hold'em but unfortunately he is a TH carrier so we would have to send in for genetics but we were told that if we get her registered as a Chimaine, which we are in the process of doing, than we can register the cow as a Foundation Simmental.  This was some great info to me even though I would rather her be PB Simmental but I still may go through with the registration as Foundation and keep breeding back to Simmental.  I really like the breed as will fit in with our home commercial herd of Angus/Simmental crosses.  Thanks for everyones help!!!