Simmy Junior Purebred Champ

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

chambero said:
forcheyhawk said:
She's an In Dew Time that sold for $54,000 in Jeff Paulson's Girls Gone Wild sale.  She was raised by the Spooner family of Wisconsin.  She looked great - sound, soft made.  I saw she was being pumped with some pink fluid before the show.  Was that electrolytes?

It was most likely a product called "Keep'n On".  That's the only pink liquid I'm aware of.  Giving your calves any of the wide variety of electolytes is no different than trying to get your kids to take medicine or vitamins.  They aren't going to take it unless you force them to.  It's also no different than drench tubing a newborn calf - just not a life threatening situation.  And for what its worth, plenty of feedlots don't hesitate to give newly arrived cattle similar products when they are just arriving.

Point taken, Chambero....but perhaps the "Keep N On"  had a shot of "the clear" from Barry Bonds in it too????  Just saying!

chambero

It doesn't.  It's commercially available and heavily used at our steer shows down here.  It's been used on a whole bunch of animals that have been subjected to extensive drug testing.  It's kind of risen to the top of preferred products.  I've really only used it and seen it being used at shows where it gets pretty hot and its hard to keep calves eating.  For example, Houston can get pretty humid and our big calves, who are alread "done" and finished,  go off feed pretty easy.  Some people like the liquids, some like paste products like those made by Vitaferm.

firesweepranch

[/quote]

Very well said!  I totally agree.  I think drenching, pumping or whatever should be left to life or death situations.  For the record, the heifer would have won regardless.  She was very very good and I didn't see anything that could touch her - drenched or not.  I don't know the Bloomburg's but I would venture to say without knowing them that this was not their doing.
For the record, it may not be harmful or illegal, but I personally think it should be.  Personally, I think any showman should be disqualified unless they can provide proof to a vet that their animals needs to be pumped/drenched.  Then the vet should be the only person on the grounds authorized to complete the task.

Also not related to this topic, but folks weren't supposed to use butt fans.  It was even announced over the loud speaker on Wed.  However, we had some an aisle over from us that still used them and as near as I could tell they didn't quit when asked.  They weren't disqualified either.  I would have liked to use my butt fan because it was extremely hot in Iowa last Wed.  I played within the rules though.  I wish more people had morals and a conscious. 
[/quote]

That is all I was trying to say! Thank you for your input. Just trying to raise honest cattle and honest kids.  The win is much sweeter!

Getoverit

It sounds like to me that you are a stink stirrer that don't know half of what you try to speak of. Sometimes when you get your ass handed to you it's because you got beat by better cattle and cattlemen not because someone did somethin that may not be by the rules of your Podunk county 4-H rules.

forcheyhawk

Getoverit said:
It sounds like to me that you are a stink stirrer that don't know half of what you try to speak of. Sometimes when you get your ass handed to you it's because you got beat by better cattle and cattlemen not because someone did somethin that may not be by the rules of your Podunk county 4-H rules.
If that was directed at me, you should go back and read my posts.  It's not wrong by the rules and I clearly said that they had a far superior animal that would have won whether they filled or not.  To me, that's not stink stirring.  No doubt about it - Bloomburg's had a far superior animal.  I do not agree with the drenching before the show, but it's well within the rules.  I don't like the rules.  That's all.  So you can sleep a little better tonight knowing that I didn't get beat by them and I'm not trying to stir any stink.  So you can rest assured getoverit that you did a good job getting Bloomburg's heifer ready.  ;D

iheartcattle

oh guys i didnt plan on getting all this started. I know one of my friends brought a fan on a stand for 3 fans and put it on the side....is that what you are referring too as the butt fans? he used it on the side blowing the same way as his other fans...not pointing to the front of the stalls from behind any animals. now he could be lying to me...but i was just wondering if he was who you were referring too.

rackranch

Congrats to the winner... they are obviously very successful in the show ring... I hope that heifer goes on to have a healthy first calve and the family is able to flush her out to make some more that good... 54,000 is a lot of risk

cwbyup62

Let me ask you this, for all of you against drenching a heifer with medication, the next time you have an upset stomach, do not take any pepto bismol, a very similar product as to what is commonly drenched with, because you can ingest it yourself.  Cattle cannot medicate themselves, what would you expect, so you can stay not feeling well and we will all be even.

RSC

This must be the product that was mentioned.

Keep'n On Case

Show Enhancing Supplement

$32.00 

Keep’n On preps your animal for the show; it provides muscle pop, energy for the arena, fill without the weight and 12 vitamins and 9 minerals to help stamina and recovery.

Features

Keep'n On provides the same fill as 8 lbs of water (1 gallon) at only 1/16 the weight
12 vitamins and 9 minerals
Powerful Electrolytes 

LINK:  http://www.essentialshowfeeds.com/site/447001/product/H3921

forcheyhawk

cwbyup62 said:
Let me ask you this, for all of you against drenching a heifer with medication, the next time you have an upset stomach, do not take any pepto bismol, a very similar product as to what is commonly drenched with, because you can ingest it yourself.  Cattle cannot medicate themselves, what would you expect, so you can stay not feeling well and we will all be even.

Again reread the posts, I didn't say anything about not treating an animal if it wasn't feeling well.  This idea of forcing fluids down them to give them fill is what I'm against.  Let the calf naturally determine what it needs for fill.  That's all I'm saying.  If it's not taking in water at the show, you should be drenching long before you go into the ring.  To me the only reason to drench 5 minutes before you go into a ring is for FILL.

TMJ Show Cattle

Congratulations to Bloomberg's and to Doug and Katie Spooner!!  You raised a Great One!!

TMJ Show Cattle

Show Heifer

cwbyup62 said:

I wasn't there. I, nor anyone else, knows EXACTLY what they were "putting in her mouth".  Could have been pink water, could have been something from Sullivans, could have been tranq, could have been a pink pomegrante martini, could have been cherry 7-up. Could have been anything.
But if she was  actually sick,  I would think anyone that spent $54,000 would have had her away from the stress of a cattle show, and had a VET look at her. Just saying.....

It is just too bad that now many will be suspicious, and the question "what if she hadn't been given the pink liquid" will never be answered.

Yes,  it was very very warm in Iowa last week.... welcome to Iowa in July and August!!

showin10

It doesn't matter whether she was given "the pink liquid" or not. She still wins the show quite easily

kanshow

I thought she came to the top pretty easily too.   After that, I happened to prefer the 3rd heifer over his reserve heifer but that's just my opinion.     Whatever the outcome, it was just horribly hot there.

RH

I use the same product as the champion heifer,... I use a drench gun,.. the exact same gun I use to administer dewormer and electrolytes to my incoming stockers and cows. I use the the Keep N On because it gives a fuller bodied look the judges prefer, on show day, a usually stressful day on the calf. I does not harm the calf, it is a healthy legal product that has no withdrawl. It is as useful a fitting tool to get your animals looking their absolute best as pulling up their leg hair, or all the other paint and crap we do to them! It just another fitting tool.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
When your on the road showing it's kinda like people ,change of water, schedule , long distance haul , an a lottta stress to look A+ just like all the other cattle you are showing against .    There proably things done before they get there or in a dark corner that are a lot worse ...

LinZ

I think everyone that has posted has made good points.. Yes when cattle are sick they need medicine and they can't usually take it themselves...however also as pointed out I doubt the heifer was sick...Is pumping for fill different than drenching for fill..technically yes.. is the outcome the same however..yes.. Is drenching forcing the medicine in the animal.. yes.. A drench gun is the same tool used for administering dewormer(we all now how expensive that stuff can be) do people use a drench gun so the animal can have the choice of spitting that wonderfully expensive dewormer back out? I didn't think so. Which to me makes drenching no more different than pumping, regardless of what they are being pumped with. Most people that spent that kind of money on a heifer of that quality is she was sick would have a vet there pronto, rather than medicating the heifer themselves.

However

The Bloomberg heifer was amazing.. Kudos to them for getting her where she is and to Spooners for raising such a fine animal.. She would have certainly won without being "drenched". Easily the best heifer there.

JMHO,
LinZ

JWW

not so fast my firend, alot closer than the experts think...... i constantly hear the Bloomberg's HF would have won no matter what, I agree, she was awsome and the best one there, but what bugs me a bit is that no one is giving Jerry Lee's hiefer any credit, i thought it was a bit closer than what some people are saying though.

congrats to Bloomberg Fam for doing great and having all their cattle ready to go. and to the Lee Fam as their heifer looked great too!

JWW