sin city angus cross

Help Support Steer Planet:

eisses456

has any one tryed crossing sin city with a angus cow ? or any sin city calves what do they look like ?  what style cows dose he work best on ?
thanks

justintime

I have two Sin City daughters that have Angus dams. Both came a dark red roan, so the dams obviously have the red gene in their make-up.  Both these females have developed into very nice replacement heifers. Both had their first calves this year and they raised big strapping calves and were rebred quickly. They both have picture perfect udders and milk very well. I think this looks like a very good cross.  These heifers did not get as big framed as some Sin City offspring seem to be. They are moderate framed and held their condition very well. 

TJ

I've got a very nice percentage Lowline heifer that is out of a Sin City X Angus cow (not sure if she is 100% Angus or not... I assumed that the cow was a Shorthorn, but the breeder corrected me one day & said that she was a Shorthorn Plus... Sin City X Angus).  Based on my heifer & based on how her Lowline sire produces, I'm going to guess that Sin City would work best on small to medium, soggier Angus cows & would probably make some pretty good ones.               

eisses456

do u think i would be better to cross the angus with sin city or manchild my end goal is to have a cow that can realy produce some good steer thanks again

TJ

Sin City... 

1st, Sin City is a Shorthorn.  Manchild is multi-breed composite.  Your calves & their calves should be more uniform & more consistant being an F1 cross than they will being a multi-breed cross.   

2nd, Sin City is clean & Manchild is a carrier.  If you are thinking about keeping replacements, why not make sure they are clean?  Then you could breed them to whatever bull to make steers & not have to worry about TH or PHA. 

justintime

I don't have any photos of these Sin City cows.... at least not right now. Both raised big calves, in fact the calves weren't much smaller than the heifers by fall.

TJ

This is my Lowline sired heifer out of a Sin City X Angus cow.  This picture probably doesn't do her justice & you can't tell it, but she is extremely wide down the top & I mean extremely.  Hope this helps.   

Attachments

• LowlineXSinCity.jpg
    LowlineXSinCity.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 179

justintime

TJ.... your heifer looks incredible!  If a person had a herd of cows that all looked like her, this business could be real fun!

TJ

Doc said:
TJ, I really like your heifer. She ought to make you a awesome cow.  Is she sired by your Doc bull?

Thanks!  No, she is sired by a bull that I used to own, DCB JR 22L.  I plan to breed her to Doc Holliday & I think that calf could be something.  JR is a pretty good sire, but I think that Doc's calves are a little better.             

justintime... thanks!  She's the type that I am breeding for.  I don't want "miniature" cattle, I want a group of 1/2 Lowline females that all are just about like this one.  I think the Lowline X Shorthorn cross is a pretty good combo... I'm impressed so far.   

OH Breeder

Really have to appreciate the cows depth of body irregardless of breed. Nice. She looks like she could be really versatile. Go different directions with her. Have you flushed or plan on flushing her?

TJ

OH Breeder said:
Really have to appreciate the cows depth of body irregardless of breed. Nice. She looks like she could be really versatile. Go different directions with her. Have you flushed or plan on flushing her?

OH Breeder... She's a Sept 07, so she's almost 15 months old.  She will get really deep as a bred.   ;) 

I'm tempted to flush her, but I don't think that I want to gamble with her future right now.  I will probably just turn her in with Doc Holliday when he returns from getting collected.  With that said, I do plan to flush her after she calves & I agree that I probably have a lot of directions that I could go. 

Speaking of directions, can you register a 1/4 blood Shorthorn as a Shorthorn Plus?   If so, I'd like to dual register her & flush her to a Shorthorn bull.  There is also a real nice 1/2 Lowline X 1/2 blue Shorthorn bull that I wouldn't mind flushing her to.  Might flush her clubby too, but probably only once.     

Anyone got any good suggestions on what to flush her to?  I've got some ideas, but other opinions are always welcome. 

FWIW, we are going to flush a really soggy fullblood Lowline to Witch Doctor soon... I think that mating has lots of potential & I am really looking forward to getting some of those calves on the ground. 

Thanks! 
TJ           

ShowmanQ

TJ,
Yes you can register 1/4 bloods as Shorthorn Plus. That is the lowest percentage (I believe) they can be resigtered.

shortdawg

Sin City is clean both ways, Vegas is THC. Here's a pic of the only Sin City calf I've had.

Attachments

• 2007 calves Sept. Sin City Heifer.jpg
    2007 calves Sept. Sin City Heifer.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,927

TJ

ShowmanQ said:
TJ,
Yes you can register 1/4 bloods as Shorthorn Plus. That is the lowest percentage (I believe) they can be resigtered.

Thanks & that is good to know!  She's at least 1/4.  I'll have to look into getting that done.   

dlt

shortdawg said:
Sin City is clean both ways, Vegas is THC. Here's a pic of the only Sin City calf I've had.

If you would like to see a picture of sin city x hostage x angus heifer go to lindeslivestockphotos.com. she is the blue roan heifer on page 5 of the heart of it all show.