Sin City

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rustynail

Ok I have looked through alot of bulls and have decided that I like Sin City , but like I said before I don't know much about the shorthorn cattle.  Can you guys  tell me ups and downs on this bull. If you have any calves I would love to see some pics.  Especially crossed on an angus cow.  Trying not to ask for too much, but any help would be appreciated,.

OH Breeder

THe first year he came out and they touted he 70# bw, I got sucked in. I bred him to a first calf heifer. not good. Hard two person pull. 115#'s heavy bone and tones of hair. He gave additional frame and did not add a terrible amount of muscle. They are clean made and usually pretty fronted. I used him again on a moderate framed cow this go around. Crossing our fingers, but she is looking like a pumpkin at halloween. RSC I think had some blue roans out of Angus cows.

shortdawg

Breed him to a deep bodied cow ! I have a pretty nice blue roan out of him that came out of one of my deepest bodied cows.

savaged

Here is a picture of my Sin City / 6I6 (Angus) Heifer.  She dropped him Feb 24, with a BW of 80 lbs.  I hand-pull assisted, but probably would not have had to.  He is nicely proportioned, but not as naturally thick as my Heat Waves, Patty O'Mally calves, ect.

Attachments

• Sin City Post.JPG
    Sin City Post.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 688

Rustynail

Nice calf.  Are you happy with your Paddy O'mally calves?  What types of cows are you using them on?

savaged

By the way, this picture of him was when he was about a week old, and to my eye he looks better every day.  I'll post a new picture of him for you.

I have had two Patty O' Malley calves, both from a Mailman Angus cross cow.  I have been very pleased with both.  Lots of bone, square-hipped, and stylish.  Not as deep-bodied as I'd like, but I believe are the kind that will make very nice show calves, AND be functional cattle.

Rustynail

Oh Breeder what kind of cow was your first calf heifer?  Do you think her breeding added to birth weight?  I have always  beleived the cow is 60% percent of the calving ease.  We used to have some Neson's Bold Ruler cows that could give birth to a VW bug and not have any problems.  We never even looked at birth weights with them. 

oakbar

My first calf this year was out of Sin City and a moderate framed, older crossbred cow.  He came at 282 days, weighed 80 pounds, and was a very easy delivery for her.  Granted she's an older cow.  She did have problems with a 100# Double Stuff calf a few years ago so she is capable of producing bigger calves.  I have attached a picture--I think her calf is one of the best I have so far.

Attachments

• Molly(Xbred)and Urlacher(Sin City) 2 wks old.JPG
    Molly(Xbred)and Urlacher(Sin City) 2 wks old.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 592

savaged

Here is a picture of my Sin City, three weeks old today. 

The two black calves are a Heat Wave 1 (right) and a Paddy O' Malley (Left).

Attachments

• SinCityPost2.JPG
    SinCityPost2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 562
  • SinCityPost3.JPG
    SinCityPost3.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 553
  • O'mally & Heat Wave 1 Post.JPG
    O'mally & Heat Wave 1 Post.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 551

OH Breeder

Rustynail said:
Oh Breeder what kind of cow was your first calf heifer?  Do you think her breeding added to birth weight?  I have always  beleived the cow is 60% percent of the calving ease.  We used to have some Neson's Bold Ruler cows that could give birth to a VW bug and not have any problems.  We never even looked at birth weights with them. 
The heifer was out of a Byland bull who was a Rodeo Drive son and the dam of this heifer went back to the Primabella Family and Wakaru (sp.?) genetics. She was 86# actual birthweight. She is larger framed and very growthy. I think the bone and the hips were his problem. He had alot of bone and a big hip. I think he would have done okay had he not had some much hip. the bull calf went on to be a 54" 1500# steer. So, I try to use bulls that moderate with her. To me her genetics are more performance than clubby I guess. I did talk with Brad Hook that very year via phone. He told me that BW's were all over the board. There had been some big ones. What I have found that clicks with her are the Sonny x Double Vision blood lines.

Dutch Acres

We own the full sib to Sin City named DF Yankee.  He is 8 years old now.  Our experience is that the birthweights are all over the box.  I do not recommend this breeding for heifers unless you are going to be able to assist.  We have had calves over 100# and down to 65# on the same cow.  Go figure, but I think it is common in the Shorties.  We love the bull, he has done a great job and he still moves like a cat.  He is great fronted and better shouldered then  many of his full brothers and also phaf and thf, but probably not as explosvie in his pin setting as some his sibs.  In 7 years of using him we have had only one c-section but have assisted many.

lowann

We had two bull calves out of him last year. One 100lb. blue roan out of a MoJo cow, and a red, and white 120lb out of a Whiplash/Angus.
Big boned, but too much frame for us. Birth weight wasn't what we expected either. We won't use him again. Just didn't work for us.

CAB

Savaged, love your blue roan calf. I have 2, 2 year old SC heifers out of 1/2 blood moderate framed 1/2 blood simi cows. One has calved and has a very nice Marbler heifer calf. The other one is due late April. If the second one does as well as the first one, I will be happy. The 1st one has a beautiful udder and milks very well. They are both moderate to tall framed heifers and are not over powering with muscle. I am planning on breeding them both back to Common Sense's Joe bull. I too lost one last year out of a 1st calf heifer that was a moderate to hard pull. I just couldn't get the calf to take a breath once out.

C-CROSS

We have used him since he came out and overall have been very happy.  we mostly have had hfrs.  OUrs seem to work real well with Double stuff breds.

justme

This is my daughters Sin City out of a Simmi cow.  Thought she just looked like a little girl's heifer!

Attachments

• lindi1.jpg
    lindi1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 540

doubled

I think he is an awsome bull, but have heard way too many horror stories about 120 pound calves, we dont like to tear up our cows

savaged

Thanks CAB,

I'll tell you, this little guy just looks better each week.  My daughter only wants to take one feeder steer to the fair this year, and also one heifer.  My Sin City calf is still not as thick as a couple or my others, but I think he is bigger boned.  I think my choice of calf is going to be more difficult than I imagined!

CAB

That's a good delema. Too many good ones, is that like having too many friends? Good luck Savaged.

Latest posts