SIRE SUGGESTIONS FOR A TALLER SHORTHORN COW

Help Support Steer Planet:

foley farms

I HAVE A GOOD SHORTHORN COW, THAT IS DEEP, BUT ON THE TALL SIDE. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A SHORTHORN SIRE TO MODERATE THE CALVES, ALSO LOOKING FOR CLUBBY. THANKS~~~ BARB

OH Breeder

What are the bloodlines on the cow? There are a few bulls that could work depending on the blood in the cow. I have one that is frame score 7 plus and I use a Sonny x Double Vision son I have kept semen on, AI her to him and he takes her down. She is Rodeo Drive. I used JPJ on some trump bloodl lines he took them down in size and they were little finer made for my taste. Gizmo has always been consistent for us. Moderates frame and seems to add little rib shape. Not alot of bone but volume.

coyote

Attachments

• cows 009 - Copy.JPG
    cows 009 - Copy.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 229

Okotoks

Saskvalley Bonanza pictured above would sure do it.
What about American Muscle or Gizmo?
Or Dover or the Sneed 329 bull?

sue

I like any of the suggestions above. If you're in Texas, there are about 40 captain calves northeast of Dallas. You can pm me for contact information.

Attachments

• captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 192

sue

RS 329  reg # 4142538.

Attachments

• 329shrunk.jpg
    329shrunk.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 215

jaimiediamond

Depending on how much you want to moderate Saskvalley Ultra 12J would be an awesome option.  He shows one of the most important signs of a good breeding bull as he has sons that are producing as well or better.

Attachments

• ultra.jpg
    ultra.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 201

sue

Lakeside Nitro 804-

Roan son of A&T Captain Obvious X Stevenstead Nonpareil 31

Attachments

• Nonpariel31_shrunk.jpg
    Nonpariel31_shrunk.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 215

foley farms

OH Breeder said:
Foley Farms- Give us some info on the cow if you could. What is her bloodlines?
[/quote

SORRY FOR THR DELAY~~~  SHE HAS AR SU LU KOOL FOR THR SIRE AND ARROWHEAD MONK ON THE DAM SIDE.

Dale

Jaimiediamond,

Is Saskvalley Ultra 12J semen qualified for the U.S.?  Saw it on the Shorthon Canadian Genetics Mall--only for Canada?  Like you said, 12J looks to be a prepotent sire.

carl

Sasvalley Ultra semen is NOT qualified for the US, only for Canada. Not the smartest decision we have ever made. We do have semen on Saskvalley Ramrod, a bull that may be breeding better than Ultra, stored at Hawkeye in Iowa. Ramrod's calves have a little more performance and might be even wider and deeper bodied than the Ultra calves.

mark tenenbaum

RS After Hours-clean EZ calving-and really works-see K-Kims cattle-they have the  semen-Free foar All too-Cell Phone picture: is a March in Nov-out in the lot-Hes out of a big (1900 ) Cumberland-but shes a bonified Calving ease-he was 78 pounds-and is massive for a young calf,may promote him O0

Attachments

• freeforalls008.jpg
    freeforalls008.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 377

Davis Shorthorns

I would go with either JPJ or one of his sons, or Captain or one of his sons.  If you are looking for a heifer calf then try Capiche you can get sexed semen for 50 bucks from select sires.  Captain will downsize without giving up the natural thickness and ribshap. 

Okotoks

mark tenenbaum said:
RS After Hours-clean EZ calving-and really works-see K-Kims cattle-they have the  semen-Free foar All too-Cell Phone picture: is a March in Nov-out in the lot-Hes out of a big (1900 ) Cumberland-but shes a bonified Calving ease-he was 78 pounds-and is massive for a young calf,may promote him O0
I can't find a bull named Free For All, is there a prefix or is that a nickname?
That's a really good red calf! What is his breeding. The only Cumberland breeding we had in our herd was through the River Ridge Elite 38E bull's sire.M/T Frontier 201 was out of the Miss Cumberland 410 cow that had been flushed many times.(Elite is the sire of Diamond Helena Dottie 12H and of the dam of Northern Legend 3N)
At least 3 of her sons were used in Canada. Whatever happened to Twelve Mile farms the breeder of some of those bulls?

mark tenenbaum

Okotoks said:
mark tenenbaum said:
I can't find a bull named Free For All, is there a prefix or is that a nickname?
That's a really good red calf! What is his breeding. The only Cumberland breeding we had in our herd was through the River Ridge Elite 38E bull's sire.M/T Frontier 201 was out of the Miss Cumberland 410 cow that had been flushed many times.(Elite is the sire of Diamond Helena Dottie 12H and of the dam of Northern Legend 3N)
At least 3 of her sons were used in Canada. Whatever happened to Twelve Mile farms the breeder of some of those bulls?///THanx,its quite an honor to get a compliment from a breeder whos produced ones like you have.-I remember some of the 410 sons-there was one out of Enticer that looked real good at the time. This calfs dam goes back to SBF Cumberland-a full sib to Traildriver I bought in 1991. (she still looked great but quit breeding in 2006) Her first daughter (by echodale Top Draft) had a small BW daughter of Studly : he (won Louisville 1997) he was a bonified CE bull. This hiefer Stella-was the 4th high seller of the shorthorn breed (US) in 1999-and although didnt knick with everything-she never had a calf over 85 pounds-one twin daughter was a 2 time all-american mention-and also has never had a calf over 86 pounds.Stella had 2 national JR show champ females-and Studly in her immediate pedigree-but isnt bred anything like the currant cattle at all. Free For All-is a Sonny-Vision-Draftpick-making the red calf a double Cumberland-and I would hope usefull as a female sire as well as commercially acceptible-its too bad he would only be an x bred in Canada-BECAUSE HE WOULD WORK ON YOURS-and you wouldnt get monster calves-to me he is somewhat the same type,maybe a little different fronted-with a huge butt.