sjcattleco I want dog info

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Red mention a long time ago, I was desperately needing help with my aussie pup in the classified section under your pups for sale. Well, I just now read it! And you mentioned a tape to watch by some fella you thought a lot of. Where do I find that tape???? :-\
My aussie is 9 months old, and really enjoys the livestock (cattle and sheep), but he has a hard time LISTENING to me. (Ok, he ignores me!) He has the back and forth thing down on his own, and he doesn't get too aggressive (a bit timid, but that's ok by me), but when he gets the stock moving away, he then runs into the middle of them and won't stop.
His parents both worked and other than his "deafness" he is great, although really hyper and tons of energy.
And, everyone who sees him about bugs their eyes out, as he is weighing 65 pounds now and is not fat at all! Is that big for an aussie??? He is a beautiful choc/red merle!
Thanks for your help!

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer - Ben Means also has an excellent tape on training stockdogs - call "The Perfect Stock Dog". I have had the privelege of being friends with some of the midwests top stock dog clinicians and Ben's tape Starts at square one and goes on from there. His method works really good on dogs that are a little hard to get a handle on with out being cruel to the dog. Good Luck!

sjcattleco

Ben's tape is good.... every trainer has their own tricks or methods... If you get really serious about training its good to know them all.. somemethods  work better on one type of dog better than another.... So many of the trainers out there are geared up for trialing..and their methods show that....Trial dogs sometimes don't make the best ranch dogs.... I think the best all around tape for the beginer / cowboy... that wants a good dog is the one by Gary Ericsson

www.garyericssoncowdogs.com....

Show Heifer

Thanks to both of you.. (clapping)..think I will get both tapes and see what happens.....also have a fella in the area that trains aussies for himself, and he has really good dogs. So might see if he will spend several hours a day or two with me to see what I need to do differently! I'm going to need as much training as my dog is probably!!! ;D

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer - I'm glad to see that you understand that not only the dog but the handler needs training when they are both starting out. I have seen alot of times when the dogs natural instincts knew more about training the young dog than his handler/owner did. Your dog is at a delicate stage in life right now - instincts are starting to kick in and he thinks he is bullet proof. Try not to get him hurt working stock (primarily cattle) at this age as it will do a lot of damage to his self confidence and it takes litterally hundreds of hours work to bring them back to what they were, some of them never do come back. always remember that a bad habbit can be learned in a matter of momements but it takes hours to break it. Be firm but not cruel and consistant in your training and always try to quit on a good note when your dog is happy.