Slaughter House Abuse From Agriculture's Best Friend, HSUS

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Show Heifer said:
Still seems to me that EDUCATION is the key. What else can the people believe from SF or Atlanta or St.Louis or Minneapolis or Tampa if the animal rights propaganda is all they have access to? I have spoke to several not so favorable crowds about livestock production. Although it was uncomfortable, and hard to keep my composure, I also changed a few views.

"What? You actually CRY when you lose a calf?"  "You mean you feed your sheep even when it is ZERO out?"  "You took off your coat in 10 degree weather to warm a calf?"  "You had a lamb in your KITCHEN????"

It is most funny talking to these people and how easy it is to change their view of animal agriculture. If they don't LEARN anything different, why do we expect them to KNOW different?

Education is the only thing that is going to save "our" way of life. You better get on board.

AMEN TO THAT!
(what do you mean you had a calf in your house? you spent all weekend in the barn in the frigid weather tending to a heifer and her calf?  you couldn't come to town because you had to do chores?? they will never get it unless we tell them)

Rocky Hill Simmental

Show Heifer said:
Still seems to me that EDUCATION is the key. What else can the people believe from SF or Atlanta or St.Louis or Minneapolis or Tampa if the animal rights propaganda is all they have access to? I have spoke to several not so favorable crowds about livestock production. Although it was uncomfortable, and hard to keep my composure, I also changed a few views.

"What? You actually CRY when you lose a calf?"  "You mean you feed your sheep even when it is ZERO out?"  "You took off your coat in 10 degree weather to warm a calf?"  "You had a lamb in your KITCHEN????"

It is most funny talking to these people and how easy it is to change their view of animal agriculture. If they don't LEARN anything different, why do we expect them to KNOW different?

Education is the only thing that is going to save "our" way of life. You better get on board.

I agree with you 100%.

In my critical thinking English course we read an artical about kids being deprived of nature which was making them go crazy. I'd almost believe it to be true for a lot of kids in the city. Once this lady who used to live around here brought her kids over to our farm because they never got to see cattle because they lived in a city in Germany for most of their life. They didn't know where hamburger came from so I told them. Better them find out when their 8 than when they're 30 and freak out because they find out they're eating a steer and watch one of those HSUS or PETA videos.

frostback

I just heard that my kids school district is not serving beef but chicken this week pending that investigation. Scary.

reno1014

I wonder what that chicken has been through?
I raised lambs in High School...I didnt eat them after that.  When my son raised hogs for Ag projects I quit eating pork.  When he went to goats...well
I never ate one so dont miss it.  Now he is into Steers.  Darn, but I love a good steak ... just cant see myself eating Mr.Bruce.  Between those people whom
treat animals like they have no life whatsoever, and those of us whom treat them like children I am suprised everyone isnt a Vegetarian.
I think these people need to meet up with some of us sometime.  We can discuss their treatment to animals over the round table. 
Humanity as it was known "back in the day" is slowly slipping away....morals, and the old saying do onto others...I would like to see that poor cow drive
the forklift right over the backside of those people. God bless the cows that die just so we may live.

knabe

what is one supposed to do with downers and what are the guidelines to move them?

on one hand, i can't believe there isn't enough replacement genetics in a dairy herd to let them get that bad before they go to slaughter.

on the other hand, only the extremes will be pointed out and portrayed as normal.

Joe Boy

I watched this on TV last night on two different chanels.  I thought that they could not slaughter downer cattle any more.  I saw that all meat from this slaughter house was being recalled.  This is not what the cattle industry needs.  I personally think someone should go to jail for this.

Joe Boy

Show Heifer, I am in total agreement with both of your statements.

There are radical people who have hidden agendas sometimes and they thrive on junk like this.  I would hope that many in the cattle industry will not sit on their duffs but come out and condemn what the slaughter plant has done.

No one here will allow a downer cow to be unloaded, salebarn or a slaughter house....

Milkmaid, I have wondered why some in the dairy industry allow their cows to get into such horrible shape before they take them to the sale barn.  I have milked cows off and on all my life.  We never kept a cow that long and if she had problems we laid her down and buried her on the back forty.  I laid a brangus and a charlotte down last year.  I bought someone else's bad girls.  One had a lung disorder, and one a double prolapse and was so wild the vet would not touch her. 

I unloaded a brangus cow last year that was 12 years old and it was hot, very hot, at the sale barn.  The woman in charge kept hitting her with a hot shot.  The cow crawled under other cows in line to get tagged.  If I had not gone back to pick up my sheet I would not have seen it.  She was down, and bloated up, and foaming at the mouth.  I jerked the side gate open.  Held her head up.  Then helped her get up and she became fine.  Had I not done it, they would have kept hitting her with the hot shot until she died.  I wanted to take the hot shot and give the old gal a shot of it but you can go to jail for what came to my mind.  I was so angry that I just stared at her and kept my mouth shut.  The cow was healthy but she did not bring as much as I thought she should have, due to all the manure all over her and you could tell she had been down.

DL,  My sisters had a fit when Dad and I pulled  big bull calf from a heifer and it was really cold.  We put him in the Mother's bath tub and got him warmed up in the house.  He did his thing in the tub.  Dad cleaned it up after we took the fellow back to live with his momma.  I had twins in my brand new pickup this past December.  They were too cold to get up.  I saved both of them, but it took me a long time to get them warm and their first milk down them....but I got in bed by 3:00 a.m. and went back at 6:00 a.m. to check on the new family.

To those who blame a particular political party, I do not agree.  There are radicals in both parties.  There are radical farmers, preachers, and news personnel.  I distrust all of such.  I have lived long enough to witness the media focus on all of our presidents and it is a wonder that any of our presidents have been able to keep their sanity with the attacks that are upon them.  Some of you do not remember all that Truman and his daughter faced, or Johnson during the Viet Nam war, or Bush Sr. for his read my lips comment; or watergate for Nixon.  These people and their families are open game to the media and I personally do not like it.  Our media has the power to destroy these people, and will use it to hurt farming.  They have an agenda to make self important by making statements that are exaggerated to an extreme, which is called NEWS WORTHY.  It is the same in sports with ESPN, etc.  Last night was the NBA all star game, and look how long it took to get all the junk over with before the game got started.  It takes 3 to 6 people telling us how people are playing or what they are doing and why.  We have analysis to tell us all type of stuff before and after games....political debates...etc.  I am for firing the whole lot, show the game and let me figure it out myself, whether it is a ball game or apolitical speech or farm report.  The media controls public opinion and therefore, Show Heifer has the right idea about public stands by the farm industry bureaucracy.

chambero

I haven't and won't see the video, but....

First of all - why don't slaughter plants have security measures in place to prevent cameras, videos, etc (even mobile phones) from being brought in.  Nobody needs to be seeing what goes on - even on the best case by the book process.  Out of respect for the animals and the people that have to do that job. 

Secondly - I'm sure there are lots of cases where an animal has gone down on the truck.  Why do they not have a process/system to handle those animals - something a lot easier on animals and people than a hot shot.  It would be easy enough to have some type of conveyor or even pallet system to move those animals through. 

Finally - things often look a lot worse on video than they really are.  Sometimes the only way to get sulking animal going is with a hotshot.  We've all seen their use abused though.  We don't use em unless we have to.  However, last September we had a cow go down in 6' deep dry drainage channel during calving.  I don't know what happened, but calf was fine but cow couldn't get up.  We hauled water to her for a week and she finally got to the point where she could get up and stumble up and down the draw, but couldn't get out.  Finally, my choices were either chase her out or pull her out.  She couldn't stay in there forever.  I got after her with a hotshot and finally got her to go up the cow trail that led out of it.  She's fine now, but will still get sold when the calf is weaned.  But it would not have been pretty on video.

showgirl2010

Seems to me that the prediction of the cattle industry being slammed like the horse industry was is coming true.  The people really need to be educated and fast before the world of agriculture suffers even more then we already have.

garybob

Crap like Adrenaline-rushed, "Hot-shot junkies" working in sale-Barns is part of the propblem. Activity like that, if captured on camera, WILL bring more negative publicity our direction. Last year, PETA, sent "spies" to Butterball Turkey Plant In Huntsville, Arkansas. 2 guys hired-in to work "Live-Hang" on the Overnight Shift, and, worked there for about 3 months. They recorded a lot of stuff, and, it was published on PETA's informational literature.

Watch out, You can't always tell who might be "working for the enemy".

GB

chambero

There again - these guys at the slaughter houses in particular need to enforce security.  It shouldn't be that hard to keep cameras out.  You couldn't ever do it at a sale barn though.

DL

IMHO THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HUMANE SLAUGHTER AND WHAT WAS ON THE VIDEO TAPE. It is unacceptable to use a forklife or a skid steer to push a down cow thru an alley. PERIOD. It is not even debatable. What happened at this plant is abhorrent and disgusting and should be condemned. I don't see how things can be worse on this video tape than they really are - what I don't understand is where were the people in charge - the owners, managers, veterinarians, USDA etc - this is a pattern of behavior not a one time deal - the industry should have been the first to uncover the problem - not the humane society

Temple Grandin has criteria for humane slaughter on her web site - including use of hot shots

chambero if a lot of cows go down in the trailer then a lot of people who own cows are pi** poor stockmen - down cattle, sick cattle, cattle with broken legs should not be sent to the stockyards -

they don't need better security - THEY NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB - the industry needs to do a lot better policing itself

showsteerdlux

Amen. This is not an issue which just came out of nowwhere. If we as cattlemen had collectively set standards for both ourselves and the packing industry we wouldnt have as much trouble with groups such as peta. I for one think that the standards are way to low for the beef industry as a whole and i for one am trying to watch more carefully what I do and dont do considering animals which will soon be on someones plate.

DL

chambero said:
There again - these guys at the slaughter houses in particular need to enforce security.  It shouldn't be that hard to keep cameras out.  You couldn't ever do it at a sale barn though.

That is a cop out - they need to do a better job of humane care and slaughter - like I said before this slaughter plant was involved in abhorrent practices that should have been picked up a long time ago by the 5 USDA individuals assigned to monitor the plant - just because someone can't or doesn't expose an abhorrent practice doesn't mean it isn't there or that it is right

chambero

Like I said - I didn't see the video.

I was assuming the USDA inspectors did do their job and that the Humane Society probably waited a long time to catch something that looked bad.

What was going on that allowed this facility to use systematic, gross mistreatment processes?  Does USDA not rotate inspectors, etc?

In my business, we are taught to be extremely careful with what we say/write because special interest groups love to ambush our clients and make things much worse than they are.  I also see it happen a lot with hunting. 

Like I said, I figured this was made out to be worse than it was.  Maybe not.

With the thousands and thousands of old cows, etc that are sent to sale barns, a lot of them probably have problems in their truck/rail rides to slaughter houses.  I would think these facilities would have a process to humanely handle them.

And I still think they should have tighter security for a whole lot of reasons (not just for cameras) at one of these places. 

DL

chambero - maybe you should watch the video

there is (IMHO) a huge difference between what you say and write (so as not to be ambushed) and inhumane treatment of food animals

a good stock person will realize that an animal cannot make the trailer ride and deal with the issue on the farm - a bad one will load anything and figure it is someone else's problem...

knabe

i'm thinking there isn't enough pressure on the industry to cull just a little bit earlier.  if i was a purchaser of these cattle, i would keep a card on cattle people sold me that looked like this and give them an avenue to get rid of them a little bit earlier.

it seems like they are a hot potato.  to me though, these are the marginal producers, or at least, procrastinators that need a wake up call.  there should be records of the types of cattle involved.  one shouldn't need the USDA involved to tell a guy not to bring those to the plant, and to keep records on these people and help weed them out. 

i'm thinking though, that at some point, with the mexican trucking allowed full access, this problem may not go away.

i would still like to see an apparatus/procedure to deal with these cattle, and where they go?

does one incinerate them?  where does all the recall meat go?  is it tested for prions, probably not as the govt i don't think has allowed private testing.  some private producers and japan are almost begging for a test to be allowed free market access. perhaps test just isn't good enough, or FDA doesn't want to lose control as it might affect trade agreements.

renegade

THEY WERE ABLE TO SALE THEM BECAUSE THEY GOT THEM STANDING JUST LONG ENOUGH TO GET THEM IN THE SALE RING AND GET THEM SOLD.  YOU CAN TAKE CAMERAS TO A SALE YARD. THE ABUSE AT SALE YARDS IS AMAZING. TO ME THIS IS JUST ANOTHER LOOK AT THE ABUSE IN ALL SLAUGHTER PLANTS HORSE, COW, PIG, SHEEP, OR WHATEVER. THE THING IS AND I HIGHLY EMPHISIZE THIS---PEOPLE DO NOT CARE AS LONG AS THEY ARE GETTING THEIR SHARE THEY WILL NEVER CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--- THIS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH CHAMBERO THERE LIKE ANY SLAUGHTER HOUSE AND I QUOTE FRO AFTER THE FINISH LINE" THERE WAS NOT AN INSPECTOR TO BE FOUND"
AND IF YOU THINK THIS IS BAD YOU SHOULD GO TO YOUTUBE AND LOOK UP HORSE SLAUGHTER/TRANSPORTATION.

SWMO

I agree wholeheartedly with DL this is abuse in anybodies book.

BUT notice what color pattern all of these cows in this video are.  THIS IS NOT A BEEF COW issue is this case IT IS A DAIRY INDUSTRY ISSUE and the beef industry is going to catch the economic and political fallout.  And all but one of the BSE issues in the USA was from the Dairy Industry not the Beef industry however, the beef producers are the one's that paid the price on that also.

The Dairy industry is burning their cows out and keeping them long past the point of common sense.

The burning question for me is where is the NCBA?  What are we paying them for?  This is the kind of issue they need to be taking notice of and defending the BEEF producer not the milk producer.  Silence in this case is not going to be golden.

Latest posts